Christchurch 2022

Sir Rols

englands got to get it again i mean by 2026 its 24 years

But before Manchester the last Games in England were London in 1934. I have a feeling London might go for them again and would be a very solid host with all the facilities in place but from a rotational point of view as well as developing the regions and nations of the UK I would prefer a Cardiff bid.

But before Manchester the last Games in England were London in 1934. I have a feeling London might go for them again and would be a very solid host with all the facilities in place but from a rotational point of view as well as developing the regions and nations of the UK I would prefer a Cardiff bid.

True

I would like to see some more different cities bid like nassau or abuja or colombo

• 4 months later...

Well Christchurch City Council has formally condemed The old QE II Park, site of the still popular 1974 CWGs. The swimming pools are to be moved into the inner city as a full international aquatic centre. The Athletics stadium will also be moved into town with a smaller 20 000 seat replacement stadium to be built.

Sadly the ground around the QE II site is now too unstable to be built on again. The facility will be demolished.

• 4 weeks later...

^^ I would scrap this "Stadium New Zealand" and have the main stadium a 70,000 seater upgraded North Harbour Stadium (with athletics track, downsized post Olympics). The North Harbour site would serve as a potential Olympic Park and have the Athlete's Village (which would make general city venue travel for the athletes downwards). The alternative would have the Athlete's Village in the city centre waterfront (and have general venue transport up and down, as opposed to just down).

The city centre waterfront would also be the site of a new convention/exhibition centre as well as some other key venues (both temporary and permanent). Maximum use of existing venues (even if slightly below IOC capacity guidelines) will be used.

The North Shore will naturally have it's Rapid Bus Transit upgraded to Light Rail. Most if not all venues should be accessible via the nearest LRT station. Buses will serve routes which are not directly near a train station.

Ok, so it's off topic. But I think it's a reasonable idea and something that NZ should explore.

Going slightly off topic as well but redeveloping the Mt Smart Stadium in South Auckland would be a better option as it was previously used for the Commonwealth Games, has land close by for a village, is closer to both downtown and the airport and all around would likely be cheaper and more cost effective as the NZ Warriors becoming an immediate new tennant.

Going back to Christchurch, I think the emotional legacy of rebuilding a community as well as the enduring support that NZ always seems to muster makes it a good bet even if it meant breaking up the imagined continental rotation.

I would see a new cricket stadium, maybe modelled on the Rose Bowl in Hampshire, and a rugby/athletics venue similar to what they are doing with the Singapore Sports Hub would be a superb model for rebuilding in Christchurch.Singapore_SportsHub_mainimg.jpg

Going slightly off topic as well but redeveloping the Mt Smart Stadium in South Auckland would be a better option as it was previously used for the Commonwealth Games, has land close by for a village, is closer to both downtown and the airport and all around would likely be cheaper and more cost effective as the NZ Warriors becoming an immediate new tennant.

Going back to Christchurch, I think the emotional legacy of rebuilding a community as well as the enduring support that NZ always seems to muster makes it a good bet even if it meant breaking up the imagined continental rotation.

I would see a new cricket stadium, maybe modelled on the Rose Bowl in Hampshire, and a rugby/athletics venue similar to what they are doing with the Singapore Sports Hub would be a superb model for rebuilding in Christchurch.Singapore_SportsHub_mainimg.jpg

This looks like Singapore's 2022 CWG proposal...A good concept for Christchurch to draw ideas from. However at the moment, the rebuilding of AMI stadium into a rugby/football only ground is planned and the debate is how the roof is going to be funded. Athletics and swimming are being split up, which is a shame as QEII Park did well with both.
  • 4 weeks later...

If the level of interest from Canada is true, and there are allegedly several cities interested, then I could definitely see the games of 2022 in Canada - it is very much Canada's to lose, as they've not held since 1994 - realistically only an African bid would beat them

Since the last Canada games it has gone:

1998 Malaysia

2002 Manchester

2006 Melbourne

2010 New Delhi

2014 Glasgow

2018 Gold Coast

of course you have to be in it to win it

If South Africa bids, like they said they would, it's glasses down. No matter how good a bid Canada throws at them, I wouldn't see them beating South Africa.

And that is because the largest voting bloc is Africa.

And that is because the largest voting bloc is Africa.

No, because they are the only place in Africa that can put together a workable bid. If it was just the voting blocs, we'd be looking forward to crossing fingers for Abuja in two years time.

Anyway, I always thought Canada had their eye on the 2030 centenary.

No, because they are the only place in Africa that can put together a workable bid. If it was just the voting blocs, we'd be looking forward to crossing fingers for Abuja in two years time.

I do too especially if 2024 is deemed biddable.

Archived