Christchurch 2022

Sir Rols

Chch mayor backs Commonwealth bid

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker has thrown his weight behind a potential New Zealand 2022 Commonwealth Games bid, saying the rebuilt city could play a key role.

The possibility of New Zealand hosting the international sports event has been discussed after the country's successful hosting of the Rugby World Cup.

Parker said the rebuilt city could host the opening and closing ceremonies, as well as the track and field and swimming events, with other events being spread throughout the country.

Hosting the event would be a "wonderful goal" for the city, he said.

"The city needs an aspirational target and in 2022 we will have a stunning new city to introduce to the world."

Prime Minister John Key and Rugby World Cup Minister Murray McCully have previously cited the success of the Rugby World Cup as proof that New Zealand could host a successful Commonwealth Games.

The Press

Well, what can one say? Nice idea, and I'd love to see ChCh host sgain (even if I'd prefer Wellington to be NZ's next host) ... but

Not if GC wins 2018, and even if it dosn't, not if Durban goes through with its expected 2022 bid.

Well, what can one say? Nice idea, and I'd love to see ChCh host sgain (even if I'd prefer Wellington to be NZ's next host) ... but

Not if GC wins 2018, and even if it dosn't, not if Durban goes through with its expected 2022 bid.

Not if GC wins 2018, and even if it dosn't no point in saying that. :D

The problem here is that if GC wins 2018 and 2022 has bids from Europe or africa, i really cant see NZ getting these games even with the sentimental reasons

Wellington would be my 1st choice and then Auckland.

I guess this is all the initial fallout of the World Cup and the enthusiasm to host another event. But i still think 2022 would be a bit too soon for Christchurch

Hate to say it, but not going to happen

Ughhh, no thanks.

It has to be Auckland.

Clearly from a fantastic mayor, who has just had this idea and thought he would spout it in the RWC afterglow, he obviously has no idea on how this kind of thing works.

Unfortunately, Auckland is the only place who understands the centralised idea of the hosting of such an event.

Everyone else will have stupid ideas of shipping cycling off down to Invercargill or Wanganui or God knows where else.

It's quaint, but it's stupid.

:mellow: Nice idea BUT impossible with more exotic locations signalling a more deserved bid. I have no idea why these mayors have a facsination with wanting the CWGs back when an Olympic Winter Games would really boost Christchurch and NZ's profile. Yes 1974 was NZ's most popular CWG hosting but since the chance is there for a OWG bid, why not - and if not successful, at least Chch has the profile to grab the 2026 CWGs.

Bob Parker is using all his excellent media training in frontline broadcasting from his previous life to boost the moral of the shattered city...Good work, he has done well - keep the good ideas comming, go for an OWGs in '22.

There is no point going with a Winter Games bid , the idea needs to be shot in the foot.

Of course it could be feasible that satisfactory bid could be lodged and put together, but you still need the will of voters to get it through., and that is never going to happen. The only way it would is if the IOC made a point of saying 20xx is destined for the southern hemisphere, come on guys, if you wanna bid - step up to the mark.

If that was the case, then sure, Im sure it would have a good chance.

But that is never going to happen either.

Crikers should crack it with a YOG bid, or likewise Auckland or Wellington with a SYOG.

Still reckon the Commonwealth Games are one of the very very few events which is going to enrapture the city or country again though.

:) Christchurch is very capible of hosting a CWGs, it will get the support of the country as it IS entitled to cash in it's 'Missed the RWC' Voucher in the nation's heart...Even Auckland wouldn't dare touch that one! Wherever it be a YOSG or a CWG.

Auckland can go and chase the 2040 Olympics...Since the IOC president obliquley said so!

Honestly, I see difficult that NZ gets the games in 2022, since Gold Coast will most likely get the 2018 ones, and the CWG haven't been held in the same continent in a row for more than half a century.

They have more chances in 2026.

Honestly, I see difficult that NZ gets the games in 2022, since Gold Coast will most likely get the 2018 ones, and the CWG haven't been held in the same continent in a row for more than half a century.

They have more chances in 2026.

Agree, I think the 'younger' Kiwi members here are just rightfully saying it's time to give it a go - They were too young to remember 1990, where as I visited QEII Park in Chch as a very young kid in 1979 when it was still pristene and went through the (then) six year build up to Auckland 1990...I can tell this, the RWC11 build up grizzles and groans had NOTHING on 1990!

Has there been any official reactions to Parker's call from the Government or NZ CGA? Not that I'd imagine there's much to say until after the 2018 vote in two weeks time.

<_< Just sympathetic nods and 'something to think about' comments...

Alex, do you remember a few years ago about the mootings of Hamilton (the NZ one) thinking that it should investigate bidding for a Com Games? I remember reading words that events would also be held in Rotz and Tga.

Not instigating that for one minute, but the arena situation is certainly improving in the city - what with Mystery Creek and Claudlands.

Alex, do you remember a few years ago about the mootings of Hamilton (the NZ one) thinking that it should investigate bidding for a Com Games? I remember reading words that events would also be held in Rotz and Tga.

Not instigating that for one minute, but the arena situation is certainly improving in the city - what with Mystery Creek and Claudlands.

<_< Haaa...yeah, during the boom years - Hamilton is in full retreat when it comes to major events at the moment...Even the V8 Supercars have been prematurely brought to an end next year. The council is severly in the Red and even the new Claudlands Event Centre could be sold off into a PPP situation...Sorry Mattygs, it's small events for now.

<_< Haaa...yeah, during the boom years - Hamilton is in full retreat when it comes to major events at the moment...Even the V8 Supercars have been prematurely brought to an end next year. The council is severly in the Red and even the new Claudlands Event Centre could be sold off into a PPP situation...Sorry Mattygs, it's small events for now.

I see Michael Redman of V8s infamy has just resigned from his ceo job at at ATEED (Auckland tourism and events organisation) after a pretty damming report re the organisation of that event.

Surprised about that Claudlands Centre, very interesting, although I was always slightly baffled by the need for both venues in a relatively small city - though I've been out of touch with Mystery Creek for some time.

<_< Waikato Times front page news today...The S##t has really hit the fan. There is a call for ALL councillers involved with the now V8 Supercar debarcle to be sacked and a recall election held asap. Local Government Minister (just) Rodney Hide has been approached to deal with the issue - although it will be his successor as a general election has been called.

Mystery Creek was always a strange place for a major sport venue for Hamilton saved only by the fact it's a km away from the Airport. Claudlands is yet to prove that it's a white elephant with some major concert and sports events now being booked...

The V8s are a true heartbreak...They were so popular for the first two years but when you place an event like the V8s in a commercial street circut, you will get the enevidable whingers, also the late Autumn timing doesn't help with scatty weather. Co-ordenation with Super Rugby also went flat due to V8 Supercars and SANZAR unable to work the timings to capitalise on massive crouds in the city.

They are hoping to move the event up to Hampden Downs in 2013.

...a little of-topic but connected in the fact that Hamilton is still too small to host major events alone...Helping out with an Auckland Olympics would be better.

An Auckland Summer Olympics seems most logical if New Zealand wants some "Olympics glory" without hosting a Winter Olympics or the lesser Youth Olympics.

There's many potential developments that could really serve the city post Olympics, a major convention/exhibition centre downtown being one of them.

An Auckland Summer Olympics seems most logical if New Zealand wants some "Olympics glory" without hosting a Winter Olympics or the lesser Youth Olympics.

There's many potential developments that could really serve the city post Olympics, a major convention/exhibition centre downtown being one of them.

:mellow: The Auckland waterfront is where the major developments are going to be...There is still room for 'Stadium New Zealand' but the IOC does prefer a cluster rather than scattered venues. A 'building of significance' is planned on the tankfarm site at Wynnard Pier, this whole area has been transformed from industrial to public use in the last two years and by 2030, the working port will be pushed away to the outer Bledesloe walves area.

...way off topic here, but the connection to Christchurch is 'forward planning gives a better picture'...and that's something Christchurch will need for the next twenty years. A Commonwealth Games are possible for 2022 or '26 (probibly the latter), but Auckland would be more fesable?

^^ I would scrap this "Stadium New Zealand" and have the main stadium a 70,000 seater upgraded North Harbour Stadium (with athletics track, downsized post Olympics). The North Harbour site would serve as a potential Olympic Park and have the Athlete's Village (which would make general city venue travel for the athletes downwards). The alternative would have the Athlete's Village in the city centre waterfront (and have general venue transport up and down, as opposed to just down).

The city centre waterfront would also be the site of a new convention/exhibition centre as well as some other key venues (both temporary and permanent). Maximum use of existing venues (even if slightly below IOC capacity guidelines) will be used.

The North Shore will naturally have it's Rapid Bus Transit upgraded to Light Rail. Most if not all venues should be accessible via the nearest LRT station. Buses will serve routes which are not directly near a train station.

Ok, so it's off topic. But I think it's a reasonable idea and something that NZ should explore.

...Christchurch WILL need a 50-60k pax stadium as part of it's rebuilding programme and will site it elsewhere other than Lancaster Park. QEII Park is also a no go. Addington's Rugby League Park is where Super Rugby is going to be play next year and many have called for that site to be razed and the new Lancaster Park built there instead. This would create a sports hub with a rebuilt Westpac arena nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

:mellow: ...A newbee.

The points you have mentioned above have already be discussed in this thread and elsewhere on this site regarding Christchurch.

Still, there have been plans revealed yesterday of a retractable roofed 50k pax stadium replacing AMI Lancaster Park and QEII Park on the site of Rugby League Park which will be home to Union for the time being. This area of gound is stable and with the indoor arena next door and Addington Raceway also a neigbour, this would focuss major sports events (as well as rock concerts) in the one area.

:mellow: ...A newbee.

The points you have mentioned above have already be discussed in this thread and elsewhere on this site regarding Christchurch.

Still, there have been plans revealed yesterday of a retractable roofed 50k pax stadium replacing AMI Lancaster Park and QEII Park on the site of Rugby League Park which will be home to Union for the time being. This area of gound is stable and with the indoor arena next door and Addington Raceway also a neigbour, this would focuss major sports events (as well as rock concerts) in the one area.

Just because they have been discussed here doesnt mean there not true...

I dont think its right to blow loads of money on a games bid when people are suffering from the earthquake.....

Just because they have been discussed here doesnt mean there not true...

I dont think its right to blow loads of money on a games bid when people are suffering from the earthquake.....

They're not 'blowing' money on a games bid...They are planning for the future. Sports facilities need to be rebuilt along with everything else. No one is going to miss out on rebuilding. A Christchurch CWGs bid for 2026 can be used as a catalyist for growth. We all know that if Durban places a bid, then a 2022 bid would be a waste.

They're not 'blowing' money on a games bid...They are planning for the future. Sports facilities need to be rebuilt along with everything else. No one is going to miss out on rebuilding. A Christchurch CWGs bid for 2026 can be used as a catalyist for growth. We all know that if Durban places a bid, then a 2022 bid would be a waste.

i dont think they will 2026

2 in oceania in 8 years

englands got to get it again i mean by 2026 its 24 years

itll be england and then canada and then maybe new zealand

a waste of money bidding on something they wont get

Archived