:) Australia firmed up it's QF spot in Adelaide last night after posting 376/9 with Sri Lanka unable to run the total down 312 all out in the 37th over.

Today England fights to stay in the tournament taking on Bangladesh in Adelaide...Let's see what happens :huh:

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem the ICC has in this is that the genie has probably been out of the bottle for about 40 years. You will never stop it now. It is simply a question of control and sanction. It isn't good eno

Is spitting at the opponent also a part of cricket? I do recall an incident in which an Australian Cricketer spat at a West Indian cricketer. You certainly cannot support that atrocious behaviour as a

Would have been the biggest choke of all time if South Africa had lost that after bowling Sri Lanka out so cheaply. A sad farewell to the one-day stage for the two Sri Lankan greats Kumar Sangakkara a

:) England v Bangladesh underway with Bangladesh batting first projecting a mid 200s score at current run rate.

...Topping out at 275/7, a solid run chase ahead for England if they don't want to go home tomorrow.

Edited by Alexjc

:wacko:Historical scenes at the Adelaide Oval last night as England is exited from the CWC by Test minnows, Bangladesh.

Bangladesh bowling England all out for 260 in the 49th over. ^_^

What makes it worse is England still has to hang around until Friday to play Afghanistan.

Bangladesh still have to play NZ, also on Friday but their RR average is high enough to qualify as fourth in Pool A if they lose....

:mellow: Anyhoo...India v Ireland in Hamilton today. Although the result looks predicable it will be a toss up tween Ireland and Pakistan to secure a safe QF spot.

Complete disaster. We need a total change of mindset in English cricket now. Start with bringing Jason Gillespie in as coach & work our way down the setup from there. A phoenix can still come out of this, as long as we manage it right. Oh crap, it's the ECB in charge...oh well :lol:

Not getting out of our group in the football World Cup in Brazil was disappointing but there were two spots and at least three good sides in that group. Not getting out of this group is shameful as there are FOUR spots and a lot of average sides. To be fifth at best is disgusting.

Some wag on Twitter suggested Teresa May shutting the gates at immigration as none of them have the skills we as a country need. I'll go along with that.

Complete disaster. We need a total change of mindset in English cricket now. Start with bringing Jason Gillespie in as coach & work our way down the setup from there. A phoenix can still come out of this, as long as we manage it right. Oh crap, it's the ECB in charge...oh well :lol:

I wasn't convinced Peter Moores was the right man when he was re-appointed last year and I'm even less convinced now. But I think the problems we have go far deeper than simply one coach or one captain. It is more to do with the whole mindset of the game in this country. In general terms, we still believe, and I think we're right, that Test cricket is the best, most challenging form of the game. But that attitude means we don't, and probably have never, treated one-day cricket as the priority it should be. This tournament has shown that limited over cricket has moved on massively and we, sadly, are miles behind.

I think two things need to happen now. First, we need to overhaul the structure of our international teams. I would appoint a director of international cricket with separate Test and limited over coaching set-ups working under him or her. With the sheer volume of international cricket there is these days, we have to realise that only very few players can hope to play all three formats successfully for any sustained period of time. Second, we need to review our domestic structures and work out whether they give us the best chance of producing the strongest possible England side in all forms of the game and change them if necessary.

I share your concern about whether the ECB hierarchy has either the will or the ability to instigate change. We need to build towards 2019 now in just the same way that we needed to build for the last four or five World Cup and failed to do so properly. But we can't go on like this.

:) In Hamilton today...

India v Ireland

Ireland into bat first posting 259...May not be enough against the current World Champs who are now chasing down the total.

...and yes, all the talk on the sports networks today are about what has gone so horribly wrong with England. Yes a rethink in what the mindset of the ECB is at the moment. Test Cricket is it's own world but at the moment the energy of the game is being created in 50/50 and 20/20...more so the latter. Hence the massive scores and devastating bowling that England simply have failed to grasp.

Cricket and football in England need to take a look at how Britain is successful in other highly competitive sports. Both sports have moved on massively from 10 and 20 years ago and it just seems like there is some traditional stubbornness to the mindset of those sports.

On the footballing side look at the style overhauls that Germany and Spain have done to be successful in the modern game. Look at the difference between how South Africa and New Zealand prepare and compete compared to England. No sense sticking to tradition and the old ways if the world is passing you by.

Canada faced a similar thing in hockey in the 90's. Hockey Canada changed, developed and continually assessed the success of the different programs and it culminated in one of the most dominating performances by a Canadian team in 50 years.

B_t6anAVAAAYG8_.jpg

:huh: There is some truth to this...

Anyway it didn't take long for India to chase down Ireland's 259...This firming their spot at the top of Group B.

:) Sri Lanka v Scotland in Hobart today...

Looking at a 300+ total by Sri Lanka batting first, already at 200/1 in 33 over.

Edited by Alexjc

:mellow: Once again...Proving the gulf between First Class and minnows

Sri Lanka posting a whopping 363/9 and Scotland simply unable to run the total down all out 219.

:mellow: Another lopsided result...in Wellington tonight.

South Africa v UAE

SA posting 341/6 in their inning, UAE all out for 195 in the 47th over.

:( Not looking good for the New Zealand v Bangladesh matchup tomorrow in Hamiton...It's raining hard.

:unsure: Oh and Cyclone Pam has NZ in it's sights as it rampages down the South Pacific bringing even more heavy rain in the next week...

They simply started this tournament a fortnight too late.

:huh: Could be up for a Cliffhanger in Hamilton after Bangladesh posted a rather respectable 288/7 batting first against New Zealand.

Bangladesh have already struck taking out Williamson and McCullum early but Southee and Taylor settling the innings down and holding the RR to manageable levels.

:) Afghanistan v England underway restricted to 45 overs.

Afghanistan batting first 72/5 in 28th over.

Edited by Alexjc

... and we can breath again. Hamilton home boys Southee and Vittori delivered the winning boundaries chasing down Bangladesh's 279

Well after sufficient recovery from crawling home from the inner city bars last night...

:) Today's matches

India v Zimbabwe underway in Auckland..looks like a low scoring one with Zimbabwe batting first.

Australia v Scotland just started in Hobart...weather holding out just fine so far (they can go down to 20/20 if need be)

Scotland into bat first...Clearly Australia wants to wrap up early.

India manages to make it home after a valiant effort by Zimbabwe

India takes on Neighbours, Bangladesh in the QFs.

Australia still has to wait for it's QF challenger after defeating Scotland with an outstanding 8.2 per over RR in Hobart.

:) Today's final pool matches are

West Indies v UAE in Napier...weather permitting.

And a crucial match in Adelaide, Pakistan v Ireland...The winner gets a QF placing.

India with a perfect record so far, but Bangladesh will prove a tough adversary nonetheless. In terms of the other QC berths, my money's on Ireland - Pakistan has been in terrible shape throughout this tournament, so an exit wouldn't be that surprising this time around.

West Indies have booked a QF spot with NZ after running down UAEs 175 within 36 overs. Getting there in 31 overs...and just in time as Cyclone Pam loomed ominously on the horizon.

The match between Pakistan v Ireland underway with the winner most likely taking on Australia, the loser heading home....BUT if the match draws or gets washed out then the equations changes...Ireland takes on NZ and West Indies v Australia. Pakistan goes home on agregated RRs.

...:( Sadly for Ireland, just not enough runs to fend off Pakistan...Still, they can hold their heads high being the best performing side out of Europe this time round. I'd say test status isn't all that far away...

Edited by Alexjc

:)

Well there we are...Pools over, now the serious stuff begins this week.

QF 1, Wednesday at the SCG, Sydney.

South Africa v Sri Lanka.

QF 2, Thursday at the MCG, Melbourne.

India v Bangladesh.

QF3, Friday at Adelaide Oval, Adelaide.

Australia v Pakistan.

QF4, Saturday at WRS, Wellington.

New Zealand v West Indies.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

all the talk on the sports networks today are about what has gone so horribly wrong with England. Yes a rethink in what the mindset of the ECB is at the moment. Test Cricket is it's own world but at the moment the energy of the game is being created in 50/50 and 20/20...more so the latter. Hence the massive scores and devastating bowling that England simply have failed to grasp.

In a way, we shouldn't be so surprised about how poorly England have performed in this tournament. After all, we haven't won a knockout match at a World Cup since that infamous semi-final with South A

all the talk on the sports networks today are about what has gone so horribly wrong with England. Yes a rethink in what the mindset of the ECB is at the moment. Test Cricket is it's own world but at the moment the energy of the game is being created in 50/50 and 20/20...more so the latter. Hence the massive scores and devastating bowling that England simply have failed to grasp.

Not surprised it's all the talk down there, but should we really be that surprised? After all, England haven't won a knockout match at a World Cup since that infamous semi-final with South Africa at the SCG in 1992 and this is the third time since then that we have failed to progress beyond the opening phase. It's only been in our own conditions at the 2004 and 2013 Champions Trophy tournaments, both of which we should have won, that we've looked like achieving anything in the 50-over format.

Equally, I'm not sure that the way we play 50-over cricket is actually that different to some of the top nations. I haven't gone through the stats in detail, but I've often noticed in the coverage I've watched that teams are barely getting 40 or 50 in the first 10 overs and we're sometimes outscoring them there, in a throwback to the pinch-hitting technique which we probably pioneered with Graham Gooch and Ian Botham opening in 92. Where we really struggle is that we seem unable to go through the gears during an innings and lay the platform from which you can pretty well go berserk in the last 15 overs. We're still knocking it around for four or five singles an over between overs 11 and 35, struggling in the powerplay and trying to get what we can in the last 10.

The other point I would make about how the 50-over game has moved on is in the rule limiting captains to only four fielders outside the circle. I'm not arguing it's necessarily bad for the game but having the extra man up has to help the batsmen.

Cricket and football in England need to take a look at how Britain is successful in other highly competitive sports. Both sports have moved on massively from 10 and 20 years ago and it just seems like there is some traditional stubbornness to the mindset of those sports.

On the footballing side look at the style overhauls that Germany and Spain have done to be successful in the modern game. Look at the difference between how South Africa and New Zealand prepare and compete compared to England. No sense sticking to tradition and the old ways if the world is passing you by.

Canada faced a similar thing in hockey in the 90's. Hockey Canada changed, developed and continually assessed the success of the different programs and it culminated in one of the most dominating performances by a Canadian team in 50 years.

I think the issues that football and cricket have are rather different, so comparing them is difficult even though the basic point you're making is sound. One of the key selling points of the formation of the Premier League, for example, was the claim that it would improve the England team (that coming off the back of us making the World Cup semi-final in 1990). You don't need to be a genius to see that it has failed and the primary reason for that, in my view, is the vested interests within the game. The FA can propose pretty well whatever it likes, but the money sloshing around within the Premier League is so huge means that developing English talent will never be a top priority for the clubs, no matter how much they may say they want to do it.

Within cricket, at least, we don't have that problem because there is an understanding that the role of the domestic structures is to create players for the England team, mainly because of the money the counties get from the ECB. But the problem, as I alluded to before, is the view that Test cricket is the best and most challenging form of the game and I believe that view is widespread not just among people within the game but also the wider public. I go to at least one home Test match a year and have done every year for nearly 15 years now. Over the same period, I haven't been to a single one-day international and only two Twenty20 internationals. If you did a straw poll of English cricket supporters and asked them if they would choose to win the World Cup or the Ashes, I am quite convinced that 99% of us would choose winning the Ashes every time. Outside of a World Cup, one-day and Twenty20 cricket means nothing. It should do, and maybe it will now, but that's what the reformers will have to fight against.

• Like 1