Sign in to follow this  
Scotguy

Cricket World Cup 2015

Could take it to twelve teams.

Just don't want a time stretched debacle like 2007...gosh that lost global intrest fast.

1992 was great because we made full use of the four time zones and got through the matches with ease. They could've done it with this edition instead of the one match a day during the week. We still got all of March to go!

As for the future...

2019 and 2023 are spoken for so I'd expect South Africa to take 2027, West Indies 2031, Aust/NZ 2035...

Edited by Alexjc

<_< Here's the reason why there are four teams too many at this WC

Bangladesh 267, Afghanistan chasing, so far 6/3...

:mellow: It's gonna be a looooooooooooong night.

AFG 25/3 in the 13th over....chasing BAN 267.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Oh that was just Awful...

At least Afghanistan got into the hundreds...all out for 162.

Afghanistan beat Bangladesh on the first occasion the two sides met last year, so I think it's unwise to judge on the basis of this one game. Besides the margin in that game was closer than that between Australia and England.

• Like 1

Today in Nelson two of the smaller teams are battling it out.

Zimbabwe v UAE

UAE batting first 229/5 so far, a good effort.

UAE setting a respectable 285/7 run chase for Zimbabwe in Nelson...Underway at 79/2 so far in the 15th over.

Wellington Mayor Fucked up during the England official Welcoming Ceremony, calling the England captain by the wrong name.

Wellington Mayor ****ed up during the England official Welcoming Ceremony, calling the England captain by the wrong name.

You voted for her...(and that was reported on a couple of days ago.)

UAE setting a respectable 285/7 run chase for Zimbabwe in Nelson...Underway at 79/2 so far in the 15th over.

Zimbabwe made it home 286/6 in the 48th over. A great day in Nelson.

BIG matchup tomorrow in Wellington...England v New Zealand.

:wacko: Stay in bed Arwebb...

:) New Zealand tears through the England top order in Wellington 108/6 in the 29th over.

A few jangled nerves on both sides out there to begin with though but NZ in the driving seat.

:blink: It just gets worse...110/7 in the 29th over...Southee gets his fifth wicket!

Edited by Alexjc

:) Six for Southee!

England 116/8.

Drinks Break...phew...

Restart.

:D...and again! Southeeeeeeee number 7...England routed, 117/9.

Edited by Alexjc

:huh: England all out for 123...in the 33 over.

A quick ten minute turnaround and NZ's Innings begins.

There will be the compulsory lunch break at @ 1730NZDST about what would have been the 45th over of the ENG innings.

Edited by Alexjc

New Zealand starts it's chase...

Hopefully cooler this time instead of in Dunedin earlier this week.

At the fourth over 50/0 chasing 124 and a six caught by an orange T Shirt wearer in the crowd, instant $100k winner!

McCullum and Guptall at the crease.

:unsure: If you are in Wellington and have tickets to the match and are leaving work...GET YOUR ARSE DOWN TO THE STADIUM NOW...or you will miss out!

Sixth over...29 runs off it!

96/0

NZ clearly trying to rap up by lunchtime.

104/0...20 needed with NZ slightly easing up. Lunch break after this over.

Possibly a wicket! McCullum...being reviewed...OUT!

77 off 28 balls, good work Brendan McCullum...

NZ 105/1

Edited by Alexjc

:( Lunchtime...with 12 to go...and yes the near capacity crowd is NOT impressed...a 45 minute break.

Rules are rules. <_<

Totally wasn't expecting a result like this!

NZ 112/1 chasing England's abysmal effort of 123.

If Southee's bowling was exemplary...Then Mc Cullum's batting exceptional.

Resumption and a wicket for England...Guptall out.

112/2.

A smile from the England players.

:) All wrapped up in Wellington...NZ 125/2...Technically they win by an Innings and 8 wickets as they were still well within England's unused overs...

45 overs used for the entire match...

An eight day wait for the next match...and it's the BIG one in Eden Park. New Zealand v Australia.

England head down the Christchurch to play Scotland on Monday.

Scotland will be feeling very confident!

Edited by Alexjc

Amazing performance by the Blackcaps, how anyone can still be a Baz hater is beyond me, he's an absolute legend. And obviously Tim Southee, epic.

I think this match also showed that while the winds of change in NZ seem to be our smaller boutique cricket grounds, you can't beat a packed stadium with the sun shining, like we saw here in Wellington (and I imagine the same will apply for the ANZAC match in Auckland)

I guess it really is a case of horses for courses.

• Like 1

Amazing performance by the Blackcaps, how anyone can still be a Baz hater is beyond me, he's an absolute legend. And obviously Tim Southee, epic.

I think this match also showed that while the winds of change in NZ seem to be our smaller boutique cricket grounds, you can't beat a packed stadium with the sun shining, like we saw here in Wellington (and I imagine the same will apply for the ANZAC match in Auckland)

I guess it really is a case of horses for courses.

As much as Hagley Oval is quaint...We all know the Christchurch is down a 40k pax...Oh and they can restore AMI Lancaster Park, the insurance company that covers AMI its self is in a legal wrangle with CERA and central government claiming that the stands a totally reparable and will cover the cost...Hence why they wont pay out.

But yes this a once in 24 year event so this time next year it'll be forgotten about domestic cricket with a couple of dozen sitting around empty grounds.

Edited by Alexjc

Well, where do I start with that one? I haven't yet seen any of the action from Wellington and I'm not too sure I want to. It was bad enough flicking on BBC Radio just before 5am this morning to hear Jonathan Agnew say New Zealand needed 12 more to win.

On the one hand, today's result doesn't change much for us. Given nobody realistically expects us to win the tournament and getting to a semi-final would be an achievement, the first two games were really freebies where any positive result was a bonus. But having lost both, and so heavily, I'm even less optimistic than I was. I may resort to prayer ahead of the Scotland game because my friends north of the border will never let me forget it if we lose that one.

• Like 1

:) In Christchurch today...

Pakistan is left having to chase down 310 set by West Indies. But they are fast running out of balls to do it. West Indies making amends for their defeat against Ireland earlier in the week.

:) Australia takes on Bangladesh in Brisbane at Tin Can Alley...aka The Gabba (another almost forgotten to be used ground).