Cricket World Cup 2015

... I go to at least one home Test match a year and have done every year for nearly 15 years now. Over the same period, I haven't been to a single one-day international and only two Twenty20 internationals. If you did a straw poll of English cricket supporters and asked them if they would choose to win the World Cup or the Ashes, I am quite convinced that 99% of us would choose winning the Ashes every time. Outside of a World Cup, one-day and Twenty20 cricket means nothing. It should do, and maybe it will now, but that's what the reformers will have to fight against.

There in lies the rub...Ashes Cricket is so well ingrained into the England psychology that all other formats simply don't get a look in. Being the next host of the CWC probably hasn't even got a serious mention yet.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside of references to building a squad for that tournament, no it hasn't. That partly reflects the schedule that England have with almost as many Tests as ODIs scheduled between now and the end of our tour to South Africa in February next year, but also goes back to the point about what is seen to be important. My concern is that unless substantial action along the lines that I outlined previously is taken now, we will muddle our way through another four years and be humiliated again on home soil in four years' time.

There has been a lot of talk about creating a franchise Twenty20 league here, similar to the IPL and the Big Bash. Personally, I have major doubts about whether such a league could be introduced without having far-reaching implications for the whole first-class structure. However, there should certainly be a set window of purely Twenty20 cricket (the month of June seems about right to me) where the whole competition, in whatever form it takes, should be played. At the moment, it's being spread throughout the season and being treated really as just another competition when it should be so much more than that, particularly for counties where those games are a key generator of revenue.

Anyway, I've had quite enough of talking about our woes. I'd much rather concentrate on some fascinating matches coming up this week.

Quarter Final 1.

South Africa v Sri Lanka.

Totally devestating performance by South africa sees them marching into the Semi's.

Sending SL into bat first, and excellent bowling and fielding performance saw them all out for 133 in the 33 over.

It didn't take long for the South African batters to wipe that total out in due course 134/1.

Would have been the biggest choke of all time if South Africa had lost that after bowling Sri Lanka out so cheaply. A sad farewell to the one-day stage for the two Sri Lankan greats Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene.

Can't see it being anything other than similarly one-side in Melbourne overnight, to be honest.

Would have been the biggest choke of all time if South Africa had lost that after bowling Sri Lanka out so cheaply. A sad farewell to the one-day stage for the two Sri Lankan greats Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene.

Can't see it being anything other than similarly one-side in Melbourne overnight, to be honest.

:):( sadly prophetic words Arwebb.

Once again another "gulf" matchup tween top and bottom...Still a good effort by Bangladesh for making it to knockout stage in place of Eng...never mind.

India batting first putting up 302/6 which isn't really that high against the newbie test nation.

Bangladesh pretty much posting a rear guard batting performance and running out of steam and wickets in the 45yh over all out 193.

Today its Quarter Final 3...

Australia v Pakistan in Adelaide.

Got a feeling we are going to see another mis-match. :mellow:

Hope you're wrong and I certainly think Pakistan's bowlers have got enough to trouble Australia, but can't see anything other than the co-hosts winning, while our own cricketing soap opera continues.

Pakistan was sent into bat first but posted a low score of 213...Australia ran it down in 35 overs but wobbled a bit at the start.

One more QF to go...

New Zealand v West Indies.

Probably the most even match up of the QFs. Certainly the smart mouths of the WI players are anything to go by.

Super Impressive display by NZ...Guptall there from start to finsh leaving the West Indies a long night ahead.

Although off to a great start, they have already lost 4 wickets for 80. But Chris Gayle is settling in and starting to find the boundary fence in the 11th over. 101/4...

Bowled! Chris Gayle gone for 61. End of an era?

128/5

Windies still giving it their all and boundries aplenty...This is going to be a battle of attrition.

Spectacular collapse by West Indies 250 all out but some impressive over the boundry hits.

This match has the highest amount of Sixes ever hit in World Cup history... :blink:B)

Getting to the end now...

No rest for NZ.

Semi Finals time.

Match 1

Auckland, Eden Park.

New Zealand v South Africa.

Match 2

Sydney, SCG.

Australia v India.

Gosh NZ is playing with the big boys now!

True

In saying that, it's pretty common that NZ makes the semi-finals of the Cricket World Cup.

I guess this time it's just the convincing manner that they have got there. I think clearly the best 4 teams in the cricket world cup at the moment have made the semis.

True

In saying that, it's pretty common that NZ makes the semi-finals of the Cricket World Cup.

I guess this time it's just the convincing manner that they have got there. I think clearly the best 4 teams in the cricket world cup at the moment have made the semis.

Yes it is weird, it has been going now for what seems a year and a 100 games, and the four teams that were expected to be in the semis all got their easily.

Has to be AUS vs NZ in front of 100,000 in Melbourne for the final!

I'm still unsatisfied with the long road through the Pools to get here...There were far too many "one match" days when time zones could've made it three.

Other than that, here we are.

:unsure:BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG day for the Blackcaps!

:) Still, the general feeling out there is that our glorious run will end but we are very proud of a team that a year ago would've been out in the Pools.

My personal feelings is we saw the magic on Saturday night against the West Indies as the top out of NZ's very best in cricket, still great though.

South Africa is simply just one rung above us in drive and determination and they have an even more insperational captain in AB de Villiers. Knock him out early we my be in with a chance...

Good Luck New Zealand! :)

Well untill the rain arrived...AB de Villers was starting to open up after being dropped earlier. 218/3 at the stop of play in 38th over.

Restarting at 1845hrs as a 43 over match. Giving SA five overs remaining.

Miller and de Villers demolishing the NZ bowling attack as the restricted overs are encouraging SA to smash it...253/4 with 10 balls to go...DL adjusted rate will be tough on NZ.

They always say if de Villers is there at the end...you're in trouble...

NZ, we're in trouble.

Archived