Cricket World Cup 2015

Just seen on the news that Christchurch will hold the opening ceremony of the 2015 world cup. Seen the artist impression of the stadium, well if you can call it that, one little stand and the rest of the spectators sitting on grass. Alright for a days cricket but the opening ceremony? meh

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not happy to be honest, that match belongs to Auckland or Wellington, but whatever.

However, has there been mention of the opening ceremony? I've only ever seen the opening match being talked about.

Generally with cricket world cups, if there is an opening ceremony, surely it will be on a separate night.

Well the report i watched was on 3 News, and they said that due to the ruling allowing the ground to be made at the park, then it meant they would host the opening match AND opening ceremony.

I agree with you Matty, Auckland or Wellington could put on a show for the event, and allow more people to attend it.

Sitting on the grass is novelty, but too crappy for such an event.

Not impressed with TODAY'S plans for Hagley Oval. The original showed temporary stands sitting on the new embankments. This ground now looks like one that can only host matches from the space filler nations such as Scotland and Ireland.

Opening should now be in Wellington or Auckland.

NZ Cricket are spreading this seasons test and one day matches around the chosen grounds. This will be a litmus test on how things will go in 2015.

• 5 months later...

One year to go before Australia and New Zealand host the 2015 CWC.

And well done to both host sides hitting form with dominant victories over touring sides this season.

Auckland, Christchurch and Hamilton held One Year To Go ceremonies in the last few days as the countdown clock was activated again. Wellington had a ceremony with current world champs India who are having a miserable tour of NZ so far, yet to win anything.

• 3 months later...

I'm wonder what the repercussions will be for NZ Cricket in lighf of the Lou Vincent/Chris Carins betting corruption scandal now absolutely rocking the game in NZ.

I love cricket but my confidence in these players have been rocked over the years. Now I wonder just how these coming WC matches are going to play out.

ECB have been the leaders in this scandal...the ICC, typically indifferent and slow to react. Not a good look 8 months out.

• 2 weeks later...

Might try and get some tickets for the Opening Ceremony. Where will this be and what is the capacity for the stadium for the ceremony?

Gee, you left it a bit late...Only 20k pax in Chch. And Chch residents have half the allocation as minimum. Just go on line CWC15.

Already got allocated tickets fof Hamilton's matches. Quite cheap unlike the RWC so you really need to get them now.

Expect any match with England, Australia, South Africa, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh or Pakistan to sell out early.

Apparently nothing like RWC, mainly because of time...But there will be the formal march of the flags, opening, and a couple of quick numbers. The idea is to have Hagley Park as a carnival area with a concert stage, mini cricket games and picnic areas going.

To be honest, and mentioned earlier, the opening should've been in Auckland (and it was going to be) but a stong case for Chch was made. Although the ICC will host the official opening in Chch, I wouldn't put it past Australia having a similar event going for the MCG.

• 5 months later...

100 days to go...:)

World Cup arrived in NZ for a tour before crossing over to Australia for the duration. They have now started advertising on TV and more tickets have been released for general sale...

Great value as well, compared to the RWC prices.

I'm wonder what the repercussions will be for NZ Cricket in lighf of the Lou Vincent/Chris Carins betting corruption scandal now absolutely rocking the game in NZ.

I love cricket but my confidence in these players have been rocked over the years. Now I wonder just how these coming WC matches are going to play out.

ECB have been the leaders in this scandal...the ICC, typically indifferent and slow to react. Not a good look 8 months out.

I can't see it having too much of an effect on the tournament as the Cairns case isn't due to come to trial until next October. It might keep the rugby off the front pages though.

M

I can't see it having too much of an effect on the tournament as the Cairns case isn't due to come to trial until next October. It might keep the rugby off the front pages though.

True, and since all the trouble makers in that scandal are not allowed near anything to do with CWC15, should be good.

However the buildup to the Cup is very subdued compaired to when we hosted RWC. And the Blackcaps are still as fickle as always with one day test results. The local expat Indian subcontinent community is more excited than anyone else.

Another reason is the rugby season starts up again at this time....And it's also RWC year.

• 2 weeks later...

Distressing news from Australia overnight about Test batsman Phil Hughes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30189066

England start their World Cup preparations in earnest in Sri Lanka on Thursday, but I couldn't be less bothered after seeing the incident in Sydney. Just hoping and praying for better news when I wake up tomorrow morning.

I saw Phillip Hughes bat, albeit briefly, on the Saturday of that wonderful first Ashes Test in Nottingham last year. Briefly, as he was lbw for a duck. But anyone who follows the game was well aware of this guy's talent. To come into the Australian Test team at the age of just 20 and make two hundreds in only his second Test match, in South Africa, was a testament to his ability. That, as we now know, he was about to return to the Australian side in Brisbane next week, makes the shock of his passing all the harder to bear. Life is bloody unfair sometimes and this is one of those occasions.

Like everyone who loves the game of cricket on these islands, and particularly those from the county clubs he played for, I mourn with Phillip Hughes' family, his friends and teammates and all of Australian cricket. I can only think of one other occasion when the death of someone I didn't know has affected me as much as this has. But I also think of Sean Abbott, the poor lad who delivered the fatal ball. I hope and pray that I will see him running in for New South Wales, and indeed for Australia, in the future, though I will quite understand if he feels he can never step onto a cricket field again.

In time, the game of cricket will have to go on, as I'm sure Phillip Hughes and his family would want it to do, and we will have to learn the lessons of this tragedy. We will have to look at the design of helmets and whether more protection can be realistically given both to batsmen and also to fielders who don the helmets when posted close in on either side of the wicket. But this is not the time to be considering those questions. It is a time for us all to remember a fine and talented cricketer and, by all accounts I've heard today, a damn decent bloke.

It is terribly tragic, to die playing sport just seems wrong.

I find the coverage interesting though- with wall to wall media, messages from the PM etc... Jackie Gallagher Australia's pioneer triathlete and multiple world champion and Comm Marathon Medallist died last week and it was barely reported in the media.

But did Jackie die so publicly? Three days ago they playing the horrific footage of the accident up until last night with everyone hoping for the best.

Phillip Hughes got front page billing NZ Herald this morning...and leads the news on TV.

The one I really feel for now is Sean Abbott, no one blames him, but I can't imagine what he is going through at the moment.

But did Jackie die so publicly? Three days ago they playing the horrific footage of the accident up until last night with everyone hoping for the best.

Phillip Hughes got front page billing NZ Herald this morning...and leads the news on TV.

The one I really feel for now is Sean Abbott, no one blames him, but I can't imagine what he is going through at the moment.

Sean seems to be getting a lot of support which is great- cricket balls are REALLY hard, it is not surprising that a fast bouncer can cause death.

Jackie committed suicide. Not very public, but it was a loss of a sportsperson who had achieved infinitely more than Hughes did. But I know images sell newspapers etc...

Not just that, but a player in his prime being killed while playing Australia's number one summer sport. You don't need to be Rupert Murdoch to know how big this is.

And, as much as it's obviously massive down there, I can tell you it's also touched an awful lot of people over here, not just within the cricket community. I posted a (very rare) Facebook status on it last night and was amazed to see it 'liked' by people who I've known for years and who have not the tiniest bit of interest in cricket.

NZ Cricket has allowed the team to wear black arm bands for the continuation of the third test in the UAE, playing Pakistan. It was hoped the match would be called off. However it was a sombre restart and although a good day, the lack of enthusiasm was clearly evident. No celebrations for wickets or totals.

It's still not decided if Australia and India Test will start next week. The team clearly in no state to play at the moment.

The only way they can get around playing is India agreeing to a rescheduled test next season.

Personally I think they need to get back out there next week after what will be a very emotional funeral.

Archived