Infrastructure of Baku

sorry...it's just a really dumb looking city to be bidding for the Olympic. Do you really think anyone wants to go to Baku?

I mean you are getting away with murder that there isn't a total pile on telling you how AWFUL the city is and how unappealing.

I think it's just a attitude that Baku will likely will be cut or if not will slip in because the IOC needs ANYBODY at this point to fill space so it doesn't look like things are slipping.

Just because I'm the only one saying it dosn't mean I'm the only one thinking it. I have no tact and I'm calling Baku a spade.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean it's a really tacky looking city, even the newest things look tacky. Doha is like OZ compared to that place, and I'm thinking the air quality looks a bit off and the waterways look dirty....am I wrong? It doesn't seems like a green city, just gray....and yeah I know nothing about it....true....I admit.

But i did google and looked at lots of images and I think I'm right.

sorry....that's the last I'll say...I'm really not trying to be a troll, but i guess that's what you are if you go on a negative rant. But Baku really is deserving.

sorry...it's just a really dumb looking city to be bidding for the Olympic. Do you really think anyone wants to go to Baku?

I mean you are getting away with murder that there isn't a total pile on telling you how AWFUL the city is and how unappealing.

I think it's just a attitude that Baku will likely will be cut or if not will slip in because the IOC needs ANYBODY at this point to fill space so it doesn't look like things are slipping.

Just because I'm the only one saying it dosn't mean I'm the only one thinking it. I have no tact and I'm calling Baku a spade.

Perhaps a bit offtop but let me show you some views of this "dumb" and "awful" city. So here is Baku:

593e64d47dc3.jpg

217724_156346184429014_100001609002772_357489_6520170_n.jpg

bakubuildings_40.jpg

4528513317_15973824dd_b.jpg

11.jpg

6363750393_91f6ed2df2_b.jpg

244097.jpg

Park_in_Baku_by_Azerbaycan.jpg

646820961.jpg

392918_280379481999875_202711079766716_724741_690816291_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

As Baku's existing seaside boulevard (promenade) is expanded to another 2.5 km making it more than 6 km in total, the city got special Mercedes buses to serve as a public transport on the territorory of seaside boulevard:

0_7b6e3_8e1c8fb_XXL.jpg

4e0c30d4acb3.jpg

b2032e4aa3e5.jpg

Perhaps not news about infrastructure but definitely one interesting fact. Baku got its first 1000 "london cabs". In addition the city plans to increase the number of vehicles to 2000 already until the end of this year :)

5831623431_eefb996b82_b-1.jpg

0_7b033_b47481c2_XXL.jpg

LTI_Azerbaijan.jpg

62702804-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb looking city? What makes a city look dumb anyways? It's not exactly a dump like some other capitals in the region are.

Getting away with what murder? It's up to the IOC to decide if Baku is ready to progress and like the 2016 bid, they'll accept the verdict and try for 2024.

To be fair, you are the only one saying that. No one else is, not even those who think that Baku is not ready to host. They welcome the bid and just because they think it won't win, doesn't mean it shouldn't be given a chance to show what it has. After all, this bid is easily far superior than the 2016 bid.

Then there's this years Eurovision Song Contest, held in Baku. They have built an indoor multi-puropse venue with a capacity of 25,000 in less than a year. That effort should be commended and will be proof for the IOC that Baku can avoid Athen's last minute rush, or alternatively can easily do the last minute rush.

I mean it's a really tacky looking city, even the newest things look tacky. Doha is like OZ compared to that place, and I'm thinking the air quality looks a bit off and the waterways look dirty....am I wrong? It doesn't seems like a green city, just gray....and yeah I know nothing about it....true....I admit.

But i did google and looked at lots of images and I think I'm right.

sorry....that's the last I'll say...I'm really not trying to be a troll, but i guess that's what you are if you go on a negative rant. But Baku really is deserving.

Um poor air quality our most recent host was Beijing one of the worst In the world Bakus air is crystal compared to Beijing. I never knew ,uch about Baku but wow major infrastructure changes and new buildings and I must say Baku is stunning! I never heard of it before 2016 Olympics but I would love to travel there (plus I love saying azerbajan I spelt that wrong iknow) I'd hire you for a spokesperson cause you convinced me!,!!!!

I suppose 747 thinks Doha is a green city with the planting of trees and "artificial" lawns in what's otherwise a city in a desert nation (no offense to any Qataris here).

I also don't get what he means by tacky? It's a mix of modern and historic architecture with a mix of Azerbaijan culture. Of course it's not going to look like skyscraper/building architecture in cities like the ones in Australia or the USA for that matter.

Baku Boulevard (seaside park) is a promenade that runs parallel to Baku's seafront. Until recent times the lenght of Baku Boulevard was about 3.6 km with a plan to reach 15 km in the next few years. Currently the work is undergoing for another 2.5 km in the western direction with works expected to be completed by Mid May 2012.

Here are the photos of expansion works:

922f4aca9071.jpg

a98a84a5c293.jpg

4b78566cc7d1.jpg

d926f0d23965.jpg

f2ea12061eb8.jpg

3d5a23e3d20a.jpg

ba39ac603dc6.jpg

6e935763d8cd.jpg

fbc71604cd71.jpg

df313cb920ff.jpg

44f5b915d08e.jpg

ed391e162214.jpg

Parralel to this the works have been started on the area after National Flag Square and Baku Crystal Hall.

03.jpg

02.jpg

This old industrial area with docks is transforming into an urban district with parks and iconic venues such as 'Powerhouse and Energy' building (an old electric power substation):

b4.jpg

Lord David, I tried to explain some points to him but he seems to be a stubborn hater. That is what I felt :unsure: Well whatever... thanks for your support! :)

Olympic Fan Darcy, you are always welcome! I hope you inform me whenever you visit the city. I would love to be there and show interesting things around cause I belive it is always much fun to see cities with someone local than from a touristic guide book ;)

It's good to see Baku plans a 2024 or 2028 bid!!! :D If Tokyo wins 2020, then 2028 spot is empty ;)

if tokyo wins 2020 things gonna be more complicated.. 24 race will be bloody

berlin paris istanbul madrid cape town rome... :D

Rome? Forget Rome, they'll be wasting their time.

Even if everything financially becomes reasonably viable to go forward with a bid, the fact that they bailed out just before the deadline of submitting their applicant book even though it was ready will definitely make them lose a lot of votes in the final vote as a punishment, even if they have the best bid out there.

But Baku has chances for 2028!! 2024 Will be a Berlin/Paris/Istanbul race if an Asian city wins now! Balu must bid for the 2022 YOG or an IAAF Championships to obtain more experience prior 2028 SOG!

Archived