2015 IRB Rugby World Cup

tumblr_nwhoh9YRqA1r2x0xjo1_500.jpg

:) The latest:

An Aussie, a Kiwi, a Yarrpie, and an Argentine walk into their respective changing rooms...

...Because they still can! :P

Yes, the slideback of Northern Hemisphere rugby...It's still getting negative coverage here in NZ...At least talking focuss off the All Blacks for a bit.

(That and the latest Star Wars VII trailer...)

Oh and the Kiwi's are on their way over for the start of their Rugby League series with England as well.

Looking forward to that series enormously.

Re your "rant", it reads very similarly to the prognosis for Test cricket, but I'd say its problems are more severe than 15-man rugby.

:( Sheesh... Don't mention Cricket around these parts at the moment...or more the sad fact of the cancer of match fixing. Chris Cairns NOT a popular man at the moment, nor is Lou Vincent for that matter. Disgusting! IMO.

Not seen much coverage of the trial here, though Brendan McCullum's evidence made a few headlines. Must say I'm enjoying the mind games between Meyer and Hansen before Saturday.

Agreed.

There is no way this is the best All Blacks team ever as Meyer has been spreading.

Funny, as you would probably be doing it tough to find 2 international coaches who are as close off the field as these ones are.

• Like 1

Agreed.

There is no way this is the best All Blacks team ever as Meyer has been spreading.

Funny, as you would probably be doing it tough to find 2 international coaches who are as close off the field as these ones are.

Yeah...getting nervous again. This time, it will be close. Nobody wants to play the game of shame...i.e. the bronze final.

I think it's time for World Rugby to institute a mandatory ruling that plays can be reviewable like tries and that contorversial Scotland-Australia moment from above under the last 5-10 minutes of each half. Automatically overruling a ref like Joubert's refusal to look at the replay video nearby.

I think it's time for World Rugby to institute a mandatory ruling that plays can be reviewable like tries and that contorversial Scotland-Australia moment from above under the last 5-10 minutes of each half. Automatically overruling a ref like Joubert's refusal to look at the replay video nearby.

You do realise that Joubert wasn't allowed to use the TMO or look at the big screen to reverse his ruling?

In the end Scotland only has itself to blame...should've used a short lineout throw and maul. Would have got a scrum instead.

Anyways that was last week.

*also shows how ludicrous it was to give Japan the cup before Argentina :wacko:

Japan first bid for the cup in 2005 for 2011. It then rebid for the double hoping for '15 but winning '19, with a pile of money and a then amazing stadium to boot. The Argentine government had no interest in supporting a bid due to a frail economy at that time. Also the Pumas were still a "flash in the pan" team...after four years playing the three best sides twice a year each...they are now the fourth. Will make for an interesting bid competition for 2023 if rumors of a possible Argentina v South Africa RWC are true.

A grinding match with All Blacks constantly attacking the Springbok line but they are holding them back with a green wall. Looks like this match will be win on kicks.

SA 9 - NZ 7

Halftime

South Africa 12 - New Zealand 7

Very good defensive play by the Springboks.

All Black's attack unable to break through and only have a converted try early in the match to show for it.

SA will be boosted by its lead as the 2nd half begins with the advantage of NZ on a yellow card.

This is fast becoming a kicks only game.

:D

And there it is!

All Blacks into the Final!

NEW ZEALAND 20 - South Africa 18

Classic Southern Hemisphere slogfest!

All credit to SA who came back from utter humiliation of losing to Japan and nearly causing an upset.

They head to the Bronze Final on Friday but utter respect to the ABs' as their game plan held together even though the penalty count said otherwise.

(Might as well make use of the "double post" slot)

:):( ...depending on who you were backing.

Semi Final 2

AUSTRALIA 29 - Argentina 15

Early errors within a couple of minutes from the start threw the Argentines on the back foot.

Adam Ashley-Cooper capitalized on them...Boom

Edited by Alexjc

Yeah...gotta feel for Argentina. But a great effort all the same.

They've come along way in four years and can only capatilize on that.

As for the final two...

This is THE Final that has been wait 28 years to be played.

I rate both teams nearly even...With a slight edge to, wait for it, - Australia.

Simply because they don't have the emotional baggage of being THE national side and stratospheric expectations that go with it.

And as someone who is old enough to remember watching the 1991 Aus v NZL semi in Dublin...then suffering the pain of Australia of downtrou'ing the All Blacks in front of the whole world.

This will be an amazing week ahead.

Two excellent semi-finals produced what I think most objective observers would agree is the right final. Australia and New Zealand have clearly been the two best sides in the tournament and I wouldn't predict the outcome with any confidence. The All Blacks have to be favourites but, if I had to have a punt, I'd be backing the Wallabies by 1-5 points.

One thing I think we can be certain of is a funny line or two from the referee, Wales' Nigel Owens. I for one am delighted he's got the nod.

• Like 1

It will take a long term education on the American public and better access for rugby play to America's youth to improve its prospects, among other things. As well as more of us possessing the curiousity and open-mindedness towards other sports like rugby, cricket, and team handball that don't get mainstream American sports attention to get into it. Definitely not going to be an overnight change. Likely generational. Rugby union can get boring at times. I feel there's enough space for us all of these sports, must expand our sports horizons mentally and socially. It will most definitely help if there's bonafide crossover American rugby superstars as international icons that US casual sports fans can latch onto--something US soccer still struggles with and hopes for.

In my case, I know the names of some of the players and national teams outside of America. Like to wear the jerseys of the national teams and, say, Super Rugby, and buy the rugby video games like Rugby Challenge. Will never, ever be a fashion statement with me. But it's not a priority for me unless I end up getting far more disposable income. I can't watch RWC games because I lack private online/mobile coverage and can't watch on TV largely due to my flex work schedule. So I do find ways to personally break the malaise. Do applaud NBC Universal in its commitment towards the sport. But what happens to that after Rio when the Olympic 7s are over, especially with Universal Sports shutting down?:

http://fortune.com/2015/10/27/rugby-world-cup/

I think the all blacks will take the final. There are a lot of Aussies who skipped training yesterday. The All Blacks have been the best team so far. They are a well oiled machine and this is one game they will get up for it. They wont take Australia lightly either.

• Like 1