2015 IRB Rugby World Cup

:) Battle of Pool B over...

SOUTH AFRICA 34 - Scotland 16.

Hard fought battle...well done to both teams.

south africa washing away the humiliation of their first match with clinical ease.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a great photo

Sonny Bill Williams to the rescue! A ten year old fan had made it through the barriers and onto the ground in front of a group of celebrating All Blacks when he was crash tackled by a security guard.

There are several issues here for me. Specifically today, the officials' decision not to show a second yellow card to the Argentinian prop will doubtless be seen as crucial through Irish eyes, even if

Hmm...Australia win puts Wales through but knocks England out, England win leaves the ideal combo open BUT forces Wales to beat Australia, which they're not known for doing...decisions, decisions...COME ON YOU REF!!! :lol:

Half time at Twickers...

WOOOO.

AUSTRALIA 17 - England 3.

Australia scored two of the most sublime tries you will ever see to achieve this score.

England are giving it their all and using it's powerful scrum but needs to open up and run.

They are making the effort to do this but a total and complete team effort by the Wallabies, England just can't break through.

The second half will be an epoch making event either way...

It's all slipping away from England...

WTF were they thinking...just dirty play.

Australia now climbing away. And Twickenham empties out with seven minutes to go.

England has been thrown out of their own World Cup by Australia...

AUSTRALIA 33 - England 13.

It's the first time a host nation team has exited a World Cup in the Pool matches, even more so with a game to spare.

Japan will be going "phew that's not a record we'll ever hold".

All credit to Australia...what a superb performance even after a small lull in the second half which saw England suddenly get back in with a chance...and then came an awful moment of ill discipline when two really dirty tackles by England were rightfully punished giving Australia the vital edge. Ferrell and Burgess will regret that for years.

Australia clearly on top of the favorites to win...I can't see NZ topping them on current form.

Edited by Alexjc

Wow...Australia huge favourites now. Every bit as impressive against England as they were against Uruguay. Gonna take something great to stop them lifting the cup. England were so frustrating, glimpses of open, skilful play like the try but then back to the old scrum, kick & rush - but they weren't doing that well. And the discipline, all those scrum penalties time after time, then Farrell & Burgess...so reckless. But Wales are through, so yay - just a shame for the team & tournament that England had to be the victims of this ludicrous group :(

Sadly for Japan, they will most likely lose the bonus point if Scotland defeats Samoa and SA beats USA respectively. It would be a shame since they kinda deserve to pass to the next stage.

Wow, poor England. Truly one of their darkest days on the history of the sport. Also good to see the next host of the WC is doing an effort on improving themselves.

I doubt it will be the end of the world for a fanatical Football nation. Across the other side of town was a premiership match that was more important.

Anyway for topsy turvy results, this World Cup has been brilliant!

It was letting last week slip that killed us. On current form this ozzie side look like champions elect. Be interesting to see the attendance for the Uruguay game anyway.

The premier league match across town was in no universe more important but it is a shame England's exit has kept Mourinho's meltdown off the back pages.

Wow...Australia huge favourites now. Every bit as impressive against England as they were against Uruguay. Gonna take something great to stop them lifting the cup. England were so frustrating, glimpses of open, skilful play like the try but then back to the old scrum, kick & rush - but they weren't doing that well. And the discipline, all those scrum penalties time after time, then Farrell & Burgess...so reckless. But Wales are through, so yay - just a shame for the team & tournament that England had to be the victims of this ludicrous group :(

Yep. Nobody has explained to me why the draw for this was made in 2012. Why the need?!

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

It was letting last week slip that killed us. On current form this ozzie side look like champions elect. Be interesting to see the attendance for the Uruguay game anyway...

Yep. Nobody has explained to me why the draw for this was made in 2012. Why the need?!

:mellow: I agree...what an awfull Pool, and yes it did raise eyebrows as far back as 2012. To be fair, France should've been thrown in with NZ.

It all had something to do with Wales' rankings at the time, (and England's sudden resurgence)...Which is weird giving they were fourth at the 2011 edition. Still agree that the ENG v WAL match showed up the sudden lack of staying power England had.

The 6pm News here in NZ focussed on what a blow it will be for Rugby spreading across England...Still seen as a sissyboy game from the south.

New Zealand and Tonga will really have to impress the northerners later this week to convince them it's worth it.

Amazing that ten minutes out from the end Twickenham emptied out...the supporters knew it was over. :(

<_< TeeHee...to add even more insult to injury...(and to offend WWII RAF crew and a brilliant aircraft)...England has now been renamed the "Lancaster Bombers"!!! :lol: Edited by Alexjc

It's very unusual to recommend the way FIFA does anything, but they have it exactly right in doing their WC draws 6 months out, using rankings at that time. The improvement of Wales, while a good thing (;)), is what's screwed this group up big time.

First host country to be knocked out in the group stages! :wacko:

At times like this, who'd be an Englishman? :(

Congrats to the Aussies! Who can stop them from running away with this? B)

Edited by Mainad

Well, there goes my RWC champions pick--I unwittingly gave the likes of Rob and England rugby lovers everywhere the kiss of death with that over the All-Blacks. Sorry, England rugby fans. :( To be humiliated and eliminated early in front of the host nation as the sport's birthplace as the first in RWC history--being still a major powerhouse at that in the sport--is NEVER a good look. There goes that BBC Sport 2015 Team of the Year Award. What a dark and dubious day for English rugby and history. Guess that's a group of death for you. You just now gave it to the Lionesses (definitely not an unworthy group as recipients at all). A lot went wrong here. At least you still have the English women as rugby world champs. My first RWC picks--and it blew up in front of my face! :unsure: That team should be booed relentlessly when meaninglessly facing Uruguay from the anthem and to the end.

Rugby World Cups, with the way how it's stretched out for over a two months' span, certainly wouldn't hurt to have a second round after group stage like we see with a couple of FIBA continental championship tournaments this year. This way, the likes of England and Japan and likely at least one of the more "fun teams" can continue on, barring they didn't finish dead last in the group. Even former All Blacks coach Graham Henry, Emperor Ming himself, says England played the wrong All-Blacks style for four years because they lack the skills level to execute them because of the enviroment they hail from--particularly how the Wallabies dominated at the scrum.

Wales indeed really did a number on England that came back to haunt the English with the lack of staying power. They're rapidly improving in the world rugby scene but, as Yoshi says, wrecked everything. Maybe there should be provision by World Rugby not to have the Home Nations play in the same group until the second round. I'll join the group here and proclaim, until witnessed otherwise, that Australia's Wallabies as Rugby World Cup champions-elect with the way they are currently playing. They are speedy.

• Like 1

Last week, I watched us lose to Wales in an Irish bar in Glasgow in the company of a New Zealander and his Australian son. Sadly, I can't blame them for the hangover I woke up with the next morning in the same way that England can't blame anyone else but themselves for their exit from this tournament. As outplayed as we were last night by Australia, it's the way we lost the Wales game that was the big problem. That is not a new problem. In every campaign since the last World Cup, there has been at least one game where we've been a poor second best. It happened against Ireland earlier this year, France last year and Wales the year before that. For too long, in the pressure moments, England have been found wanting.

But that, on its own, is not enough for me to join the calls for Stuart Lancaster to lose his job, as much as I understand why many believe that is what should happen. I believe there are many similarities between this tournament and the 1999 World Cup when we performed poorly. But seven of the side who started our quarter-final defeat to South Africa in Paris were in the starting XV when we won the trophy in Sydney four years later. Three others who were in the matchday squad in Paris were also in the World Cup-winning unit. And, crucially, Clive Woodward was retained as coach. I believe this current England side has a lot of talent. I've always maintained this tournament would come too early for them, but I believe they can achieve something very special over the next few years. That's why my instinct would be to retain Lancaster as coach, at least for now.

There are wider issues here too. The nonsense of players being deemed ineliglble to play for England by not playing in our domestic competitions must end immediately. There should also be questions, partly from what has happened to us but more so from the competitive nature of so many of the games in this tournament, about how future World Cups are structured. I think a case could now be made to expand to 24 teams and the draw should only be made once all qualifiers have been confirmed.

For now, though, I will enjoy the rest of this tournament even if the hosts have left the party. I also hope that one of our neighbours in the northern hemisphere will join us in the World Cup winners' club in three weeks' time, but I won't begrudge whoever is holding the cup. I only regret not backing Australia at the start.

I would also like, probably in 2023, to see the RWC become a 24-team tournament - giving 4 more teams a chance to 'do a Japan' & face regular top opposition at the Cup & improve as a result. It would also allow 6 groups of 4 - doing away with the crazy 5-team groups & putting some regularity into the all-over-the-place schedule - & giving that extra round & extra chances arwebb wants. I think the likes of Tonga, Japan, Georgia etc have improved enough for the RWC to handle this :)

PS: Arwebb, I'm backing 2 northern teams now, come join me. Red or blue? :)

In amongst the post match carnage...two games played, pretty much tidying up QF placings

IRELAND 16 - Italy 9

ARGENTINA 45 - Tonga 16...with a screaming Deiago Maradona in the stadium, no excuses to loose.

Edited by Alexjc

I would also like, probably in 2023, to see the RWC become a 24-team tournament - giving 4 more teams a chance to 'do a Japan... :)

:angry: Gawd no...20 teams is aready pushing it...Unfortunately it's just the phsyical nature of the game that matches are clustered around a set time. The only way around it would be to allow bigger squads for the tournament so as to allow for "refreshed" players to play for a more intense three weeks of pool play and then cut the squads down for QFs and Semi's. And you are only gain a week at best...and mightly annoy the host broadcaster.

IMO I think they should speed up at the QFs onward...First match played four days after final pool round...usually by then the top eight have already been sorted for over a week...Semis four days after the QFs, (3-4 final two days after that, simply because it's pointless) and Final four days after.

This would be a real test of endurance. :wacko:

I would also like, probably in 2023, to see the RWC become a 24-team tournament - giving 4 more teams a chance to 'do a Japan' & face regular top opposition at the Cup & improve as a result. It would also allow 6 groups of 4 - doing away with the crazy 5-team groups & putting some regularity into the all-over-the-place schedule - & giving that extra round & extra chances arwebb wants. I think the likes of Tonga, Japan, Georgia etc have improved enough for the RWC to handle this :)

PS: Arwebb, I'm backing 2 northern teams now, come join me. Red or blue? :)

I don't see entirely it as a question of "extra chances" for bigger nations, even though that is an inevitable consequence of expansion. I just feel that the quality of rugby we've seen in this tournament so far, particularly from the smaller nations, demands that the structure of the competition is looked at. We can see that the standard is improving all the time. Japan have a chance of making the quarter-finals and pulled off arguably the greatest upset in the history of all sport when they beat South Africa in Brighton. There have been far fewer of the horribly lopsided mismatches that we've seen at previous World Cups. What those teams deserve now is a more genuine chance to compete on an equal footing.

By that, I mean balancing the schedule to ensure that all teams have broadly the same amount of time to prepare for each match. It is hideously unfair that a team like Japan, having produced the performance of their lives against the Springboks, should have to then front up again five days later against a completely fresh Scotland side when certain other teams who haven't performed to their level have had a full week from game to game. World Rugby has to act on this before we get to Japan in four years' time. If they don't, they're not doing their job properly. I don't object to bigger squads, but I do object to a clearly imbalanced tournament structure.

As for who I'm supporting now, it's the north against the south.

Well a 24-team tournament could do that, by having groups of 4 rather than 5 so no team is 'left out' of a group of matches. Take it at its simplest, you could have group A's first 2 games on the first Saturday, B on Sunday, C on Monday etc. The cycle would repeat every 6 days, giving each team 6 days rest. You could even give each group to a pair of venues, so everywhere would get a fair & equal share of the games.

A couple of boredom busters today...tail end stuff.

ROMANIA 17 - Canada 15.

An amazing come from behind win by Romania. These two sides fairly matched "middos".

FIJI 47 - Uruguay 15.

Fiji finally getting a deserved win with a hefty scoreline to go with it.

They do have what it takes but unfairly in the Pool of Death leave the WC with really nothing to show for it.

Edited by Alexjc