2015 IRB Rugby World Cup

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man hugs from Harry Wales! Guess who he was supporting!

Medals handed out.

Up he goes...William Webb Ellis Cup is lifted by Richie McCawsome above his head for the second and last time.

Pressure over!

World Champions

ALL BLACKS!

An awesome final. The pulse rate has now come back to earth. First time back to back! Awesome result by the All Blacks. The Wallabies played well but the All Blacks just had it over them. Good to see some running rugby and tries being scored in the final! Bring on Japan 2019

An awesome final. The pulse rate has now come back to earth. First time back to back! Awesome result by the All Blacks. The Wallabies played well but the All Blacks just had it over them. Good to see some running rugby and tries being scored in the final! Bring on Japan 2019

Feel so much better about this final than the last...Far more cohesive effort from the All Blacks. If it wasn't for Smith's brain fart the gap would've been wider. But in saying that, you can see why you never treat Australia with contempt.

They better not dump Michael Cheika... Brilliant coach, brought back a side that a year ago was not even rated to make it out of the Pool matches... (That honour belongs to England)

We may be continuing World Champs but the sun has passed midday in the ABs reign... The Wallabies is reaching mid dawn and rising.

2019 will be a very green and gold World Cup.

A bit premature to talk about the 2019 world cup yet. Australia are a good side, but

Feel so much better about this final than the last...Far more cohesive effort from the All Blacks. If it wasn't for Smith's brain fart the gap would've been wider. But in saying that, you can see why you never treat Australia with contempt.
They better not dump Michael Cheika... Brilliant coach, brought back a side that a year ago was not even rated to make it out of the Pool matches... (That honour belongs to England)

We may be continuing World Champs but the sun has passed midday in the ABs reign... The Wallabies is reaching mid dawn and rising.
2019 will be a very green and gold World Cup.

Not sure that the All Blacks have passed midday in their reign. The All Blacks will always be one of the best in the world. Yes some good players are retiring but others will come. The Wallabies are a good side and have done well with Cheika. A big difference between NZ and Australia is New Zealand's depth across the field. Not sure about a green and gold world cup in 2019. Lets enjoy this win today! It does feel much better than in 2011. Very satisfying!

:D

Sonny Bill Williams to the rescue!

A ten year old fan had made it through the barriers and onto the ground in front of a group of celebrating All Blacks when he was crash tackled by a security guard...Right in front of SBW who immediately pulled him up and pushed away the over zealous official. Other players quickly stood over the official and he quickly retreated back to the touchline while SBW comforted the brave young gatecrasher. :D

(That's the kid he was seen hugging during the post victory celebrations)

www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/rugby/raw-the-moment-sonny-bill-rescues-a-young-fan-nailed-by-security-guard

I agree with Michael.

We certainly have a few star players hanging up their boots, but some fantastic young talent coming through nicely as well. I don't think it's a case of Australia being on the rise and the All Blacks on the decline.

I think the key thing this management team has done is create the correct culture for the All Blacks, a culture so that new players can slot in to the team and be in a position to defend in 2019.

This All Blacks team are not only a machine on the field, but the way they handle themselves is the best I've ever seen.

No Brad Haddin's in this team, they play in the spirit of the game.

What is it the concept that they have adopted - *Better people make better All Blacks*

Im hoping Shag will stay on to usher in some new talent, surely it would be enough of a challenge to keep him going. Just stay away from England.

I think ultimately, we had an appropriate end to the 4 year rugby cycle. The AB's have been the dominant team since the last World Cup, everything seems to have been nicely wound up in a little bow, the right team won.

The Australians will be happy, a good World Cup for them, we will see what happens next year.

:wub:

2DFC5B7B00000578-3298198-image-a-182_144

I agree with Michael.

We certainly have a few star players hanging up their boots, but some fantastic young talent coming through nicely as well. I don't think it's a case of Australia being on the rise and the All Blacks on the decline.

I think the key thing this management team has done is create the correct culture for the All Blacks, a culture so that new players can slot in to the team and be in a position to defend in 2019.

This All Blacks team are not only a machine on the field, but the way they handle themselves is the best I've ever seen.

What is it the concept that they have adopted - *Better people make better All Blacks*

Im hoping Shag will stay on to usher in some new talent, surely it would be enough of a challenge to keep him going. Just stay away from England.

I think ultimately, we had an appropriate end to the 4 year rugby cycle. The AB's have been the dominant team since the last World Cup, everything seems to have been nicely wound up in a little bow, the right team won.

The Australians will be happy, a good World Cup for them, we will see what happens next year. :wub:

In an alternate universe, in celebration of their win these two flip f**ked all night long!

I agree with Michael.

The Australians will be happy, a good World Cup for them, we will see what happens next year.

:wub:

OK I might be predicting the long future towards what is inevitable... New Zealand will lose the cup.

One thing I can predict is Australia and South Africa will definitely be out to get us.

Yes we have got talent comming up but so do they. McCaw will probably stick around to reach 150 tests next year but that will be it. This is the end of an era though...This AB side will become the greatest talked about over the next thirty years. Savour the next week of celebration parades that will happen.

495155158-prince-harry-congratulates-ric

Not to be left out. haha.

OK I might be predicting the long future towards what is inevitable... New Zealand will lose the cup.

One thing I can predict is Australia and South Africa will definitely be out to get us.

Yes we have got talent comming up but so do they. McCaw will probably stick around to reach 150 tests next year but that will be it. This is the end of an era though...This AB side will become the greatest talked about over the next thirty years. Savour the next week of celebration parades that will happen.

Ooooh that's a big call, so McCaw to not retire quite yet?

Maybe you're right, he did skirt the subject slightly in the post match interview.

Ha...at least we didn't get the Three Way Handshake!

A certain someone kept well away from the pitch this time...

Got a feeling the top end of English society were barracking for NZ from the camera shots of the royal box.

495155158-prince-harry-congratulates-ric

Not to be left out. haha.

Ooooh that's a big call, so McCaw to not retire quite yet?

Maybe you're right, he did skirt the subject slightly in the post match interview.

I agree i think Ritchie might stick around to play his 150th test. One more season and then move on? Time will tell.

If ever a sportsman has earned the right to go out on his own terms, Richie McCaw has done just that.

My main sporting pleasure of the weekend is that we didn't get our backsides handed to us by New Zealand in the other code of rugby in Hull this evening.

Absolutely not. He was treated appallingly by the RFU and the media. The farce comes with Lancaster putting all his faith in a man who only had a few months experience, over centres far better, just because it was his pet project. Burgess deserves all the sympathy he'll get - Lancaster should take the blame.

Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, but it did seal Lancaster's fate - he resigned yesterday. Japan's Eddie Jones being talked about most right now.

That is one poisionous challace nobody in their right mind would want to sup from... :blink:

There are other names out there that have been mentioned on the fly...

Robbie Deans, Jake White, Peter DeVilliers, and Graham Henry. BUT another name has popped up in the last couple of days...Steve Hansen. He finishes his coaching role with New Zealand at the end of 2017.

Anyways...

Now that the dust has settled on the last victory parade and the "Golden" All Blacks have gone their seperate ways, Richie flying choppers, Dan off to France, Sonny and Nehe getting ready to join the All Blacks Sevens team...My assesment of Rugby World Cup 2015.

As a spectacle...this World Cup gets an A. :)

The so called "minnows" monniker has been buried by some spectacular efforts from the second tier nations, none more so than Japan who were cheated of a QF spot by the bonus point system and a very tight turn around for their second match...After THE upset in world cup history.

The "Pool of Death"...OK it sounded mean to lump 3 very top nations in together...Only two would make it. Did anyone see it comming way back in late 2012 when it was drawn? World Rugby needs to look at this system again. I wonder if two Pool of Deaths should've been created?

Venues: A good spread BUT really didn't grab the imagination of an EPL mad nation. The home side failing so soon and all the premium games played either in Cadiff or London really wasn't a help as much as excellent venues they were. London seemed to swallow up the event without anyone noticing outside of Twickenham. Case in point an NFL exhibition match was played the next day at Wembley after the SAF v NZL semi final and Grand Final...Wembley fully sold out, no one noticing Rugby's show piece event ever existed.

England Rugby, yeap...Swing low sweet chariot. The complete opposite of Australia in the build up. They had the coaching staff, the players AND the truckloads of money that even the All Blacks envied...Yet it was the All Black left using England Rugby's multi million pound facilities to defend their World Cup Champions title. The players - not Stewart Lancaster - need to have a long hard look at themselves in the mirror, because what we saw out there in their four matches was just embarrasing.

Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Argentina showed everyone that the World Cup is worth going all hard out for. The latter bringing a point of difference to the same old same old at the end. South Africa would come back from total humiliation to redeem itself with a crediable performance in the do or die semi with New Zealand.

The Final.

Surprised at the end. Who was expecting Australia as participant? This was a team on the skids a mere 14 months ago. This final was built up and sold on the notion that England v All Blacks would meet up. Australia were the dark horses at the 2015 edition and nearly went all the way! What an effort from a side that BELIEVES its going to win untill the final whistle is blown.

And of course...

New Zealand.

If there was a moment in rugby history that cemented the All Black brand into the top tier of global sports teams, then New Zealand's performance in the final has to be it...No it wasn't perfect thanks to a yellow card and a tiny crack in the amour that got exploited by Australia to great effect. However the proffessional conduct and discipline that was so lacking in the previous final and high pressure knock out matches, in which the team failed, really shone out at long last. Then the shear slickness of the team showed through. Had've the final been card free, then we could've seen a QF like rout that NZ performed on France. But what we got was a multi layered plan of attack for any eventuality that would get the side home. This came to a head with Dan Cater's drop goal in the 70th minute and Richie McCaw pulling down the aieling Wallabies scrum pack that were ground down into penalty zone...That ended the true Aussie momentum...When Ben Smith redeemed himself intercepting an Aussie last gasp assault on the NZ tryline, and kicking the ball out ahead of a Bouden Barrett running up at a full head of steam, Pocock couldn't catch him...It was over. :)

Back to Back World Champions. :D

Archived