2015 IRB Rugby World Cup

:) Since the 2011 event is about to draw to a close...I believe it's time to open the 'Long Range' thread to take us to the England 2015 event.

Already the 2015 organisers who have been in New Zealand have lifted out ideas of what to do and what not!

:D Roll on around RWC2015 England! :D

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it will certainly be a very different world cup, alot bigger for sure.

I guess there will not be the complete rugby saturation factor which has been a positive of the World Cup here, I see they have guaranteed matches up in the North, so it's great they are spreading it around abit.

*The* RFR seems to be in abit of a shambles at the moment though, so really does look like they need to sort out the Whare before they invite the Whanau round.

Also be interesting to see what teams have evolved in the 4 year cycle. Much has been made of the age of the NZ and Oz teams, and how Australia was very much a side in development, though I read in the SMH the other day that the Aussies average age is something like 26 compared to NZ's 27. something , so really will be up in the air.

Also be keen to see how this Cardiff scheduling goes, seems like they are wanting to give a few more matches to Wales? Im really hoping not, I thought we would finally got a single host home unions world cup, unfortunately, they can't keep away from each others tournaments.

Also be keen to see how this Cardiff scheduling goes, seems like they are wanting to give a few more matches to Wales? Im really hoping not, I thought we would finally got a single host home unions world cup, unfortunately, they can't keep away from each others tournaments.

I agree, i prefer the one nation tournaments and England certainly has no problems in hosting this alone.

The only UK countries that have enough venues to host alone are Scotland and England

In terms of Stadia we have three in Glasgow and three in Edinburgh alone that meet criteria, plus Dundee, a new 22000 stadium in Aberdeen, Inverness. And many in areas such as Ayr, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Falkirk. We have alot of soccer stadia that are 10.000 plus capacity.

Also we have an excellent transport system, it is only 40 mins from glasgow to edinburgh on train.

Here is a list of stadia;

http://www.worldstad.../scotland.shtml

W are similar in size and population to NZ but with better stadia and transport, plus close to many big rugby nations for fans

I think after the Comonwealth Games and if we don't bid for the youth Olympics then we should place a 2023 bid

Not really sure if 23 is a good option.

We'll have been in England and Japan, most likely time for a Southern Hemisphere host.

Im guessing Argentina, or South Africa.

If Argentina wasn't interested, you would be hard to go past the Sarfies, especially after they supported NZ (eventually) for the 2011 tournament hosting rights.

Darn! I'm hoping against hope that the RFU doesn't dole out Pool matches to the 'other' 'countries' in the UK. I know that Cardiff Arms Park is second only to Twickers as UK's pre-eminant rugby ground, but stiff! London could absorb the whole tournament alone! :blink:

This isn't 1991 0r 1999...The RWC has evolved out of the amature era, through the formative years and is now on the cusp of being a major first tier global sports event!

England can and should lead the way for the future, Japan will prove if Rugby can be sustainable by 2019 - a threat to the 15 man game will be Sevens with it's Olympic debut three years earlier.

Matches have always been confirmed for Wales, up to 5 was the figure quoted in the bid I believe, but it was under the proviso that Wales would not play there. Now we have the WRU coming out wanting to play their matches in Cardiff.

Again, really in conflict with the 1 country World Cup concept, it's not a Welsh world cup, but rather Millennium Stadium covers the Western territory for England 2015.

Story link

Have the venues all been sorted out yet? they may very well do.

Of course the large capacity of Millennium Stadium is also very attractive , this is after all the money maker tournament for the IRB after the rugby centric tournament here in New Zealand.

For the premium First Tier teams, large capacity stadia for ticket sale, yes. But I can remember the All Blacks in the 99RWC wanted to be based in Huddersfield as the ground was to their liking.

I just can't reconcile the fact that Wales 'expects' to have it's stadium in the picture since their team was the best performer in NZ. So do we expect France to demand Staid de France be used as well?

No. England hosts alone...I mean if a small nation like NZ can do it? :huh:

It would seem obvious, wouldn't it? Much as I don't like the idea, there is a certain logic to using the Millennium Stadium because of its size compared to any other available venue in the south-west of England. Even if the Ashton Vale stadium development in Bristol goes ahead, its capacity would be less than half of what is available just across the Severn.

I've said in previous discussions on the 2015 tournament that the balance of venues that has been proposed is all wrong and, unless things change pretty dramatically, I doubt I'll be changing my mind any time soon.

OK, I watched the 2nd half of the Game since there was NO FIGURE SKATING!! :angry: A somewhat exciting sport but I still don't understand the "scrum" -- is that short for "scrotum" or "scrota"? :blink: I mean...what's the point? It's like the old "turtle-tank" formation of the Roman legions. But that was a life-and-death situation, this is just a bloody sport.

And the action literally just bogs down when there is that pile-up!! And I mean couldn't American football have improved on some of this?

OK, I watched the 2nd half of the Game since there was NO FIGURE SKATING!! :angry: A somewhat exciting sport but I still don't understand the "scrum" -- is that short for "scrotum" or "scrota"? :blink: I mean...what's the point? It's like the old "turtle-tank" formation of the Roman legions. But that was a life-and-death situation, this is just a bloody sport.

And the action literally just bogs down when there is that pile-up!! And I mean couldn't American football have improved on some of this?

More often than not, the scrums are just a break in play and "going through the motions". But, and the final was a great example, sometimes they can turn into real contests. I seem to remember both France and NZ won scrums against the feed yesterday which can be a great sight for Rugby aficionados - the brute power of two forward packs trying to dominate the other. Inded, Freances dominance of the set plays - the scrums and the lineouts - was one of the real thrilling features of a great final!

• 2 weeks later...

:mellow: Question: Is there any room for that grandest of stadiums, Wembley?

I know the IRB wants one main stadium to be the grand stage for this event, does it have to be Twickers? Yes the so called home of rugby should host the opening and some of the top end matches. But would Wembley be a real money spinner as the Grand Final venue?

And it has the roof incase it rains.

Would be good to have Twicks for the opening and wembley for final but i can imagine twicks getting both.

Having been to both stadiums, i prefer Wembley and i love the arch.

According to Wikipedia, Twickenham will host the opening game, a quarter-final, both semi-finals and the final. Wembley will have a quarter-final, while the Millennium Stadium will have two. The Emirates Stadium, home of Arsenal, will stage the third place play-off.

Other venues are Old Trafford (Manchester), St James' Park (Newcastle), Anfield (Liverpool), Elland Road (Leeds), St Mary's Stadium (Southampton), the Ricoh Arena (Coventry), Welford Road (Leicester) and Kingsholm (Gloucester).

According to Wikipedia, Twickenham will host the opening game, a quarter-final, both semi-finals and the final. Wembley will have a quarter-final, while the Millennium Stadium will have two. The Emirates Stadium, home of Arsenal, will stage the third place play-off.

Other venues are Old Trafford (Manchester), St James' Park (Newcastle), Anfield (Liverpool), Elland Road (Leeds), St Mary's Stadium (Southampton), the Ricoh Arena (Coventry), Welford Road (Leicester) and Kingsholm (Gloucester).

:mellow: Always wary of Wikipedia...But if this is true, at least we are looking at an all England affair, which is good. Personally I'm happy with the format and it's good to see Wembley getting used. It's the Semis that have the excitment and popularity. I have to admit the build up to the Final here was not as tense as the semis...But then it was the final, which is another story.

:mellow: Question: Is there any room for that grandest of stadiums, Wembley?

I know the IRB wants one main stadium to be the grand stage for this event, does it have to be Twickers? Yes the so called home of rugby should host the opening and some of the top end matches. But would Wembley be a real money spinner as the Grand Final venue?

Why on earth would you want to move the final from the home of rugby in England to a football pitch (roofless BTW - they never finished that!). And it would be no money spinner at all for rugby as the RFU own Twickenham so don't want to be gifting a chunk of profits towards the FA.

Stupid, stupid, idea.

• 6 months later...

September 18 start date for RWC 2015

Rugby World Cup 2015 in England will kick off in 1,220 days time after the IRB Council approved September 18 as the start date for Rugby’s showcase event.

The announcement is a key aspect of tournament preparation and enables tournament owners Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL), tournament organisers England Rugby 2015 Limited (ER 2015) and Unions to advance preparations for what is expected to be the biggest-ever Rugby World Cup, delivering a forecasted record boost to the global Game.

The decision, made at the Annual Meeting of the IRB Council in Dublin on Tuesday, is the result of an exhaustive and collaborative review process which culminated in the recommendation of September 18 by Tier 1 Chairmen and Chief Executives last week as the most suitable start date within the September-October Rugby World Cup window.

This will ensure:

- A tournament that will continue to showcase and fund the global Game

- Delivery of a financially strong and competitive tournament

- Minimal collective financial impact on participating Unions and other major international Rugby competitions

- Scheduling of RWC 2015 matches in iconic venues

ER 2015 Chief Executive Paul Vaughan welcomed the announcement, which will now trigger the process of locking down match venues and preliminary schedule development.

“ER 2015 welcomes confirmation of the start date for Rugby World Cup 2015 in England. Planning and preparation is on track and this milestone announcement further focuses our operational work as we look to deliver the best ever Rugby World Cup.”

“For fans, players and all stakeholders, knowing that the Rugby World Cup 2015 will kick off on September 18 and the Final will be played on October 31 at England’s iconic Twickenham stadium, brings the tournament to life and really builds excitement.”

IRB

World Cup draw date announced

The draw for the pool stages of the 2015 World Cup in England will take place on December 3 in London, the International Rugby Board have confirmed.

As was the case for the 2011 tournament, the IRB world rankings will play a key part in the draw with the top four sides at the time of the draw being kept apart in the pool stage.

That means the upcoming summer tours and the November internationals will take on extra significance as sides attempt to give themselves the best chance of a favourable draw.

World champions New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and England currently occupy the top four spots, with Six Nations champions Wales narrowly behind in fifth and France in sixth.

The top 12 sides from the 2011 tournament have already qualified for the 2015 finals, and will be banded into three groups of four based on their position in the rankings.

The eight teams who will make up bands four and five will come through the ongoing regional qualification tournaments.

"The format of seeding teams for the Rugby World Cup pool allocation draw using the IRB World Rankings is a credible, succinct and proven method that reflects form, stimulates interest and is backed by our unions," said IRB and Rugby World Cup Limited chairman Bernard Lapasset.

"With every Test match played between now and the draw counting towards the IRB world rankings the pool allocation draw adds an extra dimension to a mouth-watering year that features the new tours and Test schedule as well as Argentina's inclusion in the new Rugby Championship."

England Rugby 2015 chief Paul Vaughan added: "The pool allocation draw is another major milestone as momentum builds towards England's hosting of Rugby's showcase event. The draw is particularly significant for the teams and for the fans as they can really begin their journey towards Rugby World Cup 2015."

UKPA

• 3 months later...

Hungary kicks off RWC 2015 process in Europe

The global qualification process for Rugby World Cup 2015 in England is gathering pace and next month teams from across Europe will join the party.

Hungary will host Bulgaria in Kecskemét, situated 80 km from the capital Budapest, at 14:00 local time on October 6 in a match that will signify the beginning of a European process involving 32 nations and 100 matches over two years.

European Qualification details

With the three years to go landmark rapidly approaching, planning and preparation for the eighth Rugby World Cup is on schedule and accelerating rapidly. Already this year an initial round of assessment for potential match venues has been completed, tournament dates finalised and key appointments made within the ER 2015 organising body.

On December 3, the Pool Allocation Draw will see the 12 directly qualified teams seeded into three bands according to their IRB World Rankings and then drawn across the pools, providing a fitting climax to what has been a big year in the delivery of Rugby's showcase event.

http://www.rugbyworl... process europe

• 2 weeks later...

World Cup 2015 swoop for Olympic organiser Jevans

Amid concerns about a lack of urgency in preparations, the organisers of the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England have replaced chief executive Paul Vaughan with the director of sport at the London Olympics, Debbie Jevans.

Vaughan, who had been in charge at the organising committee since early last year, "stepped down" by "mutual consent", according to a statement from organisers England Rugby 2015.

Jevans, who was formerly general secretary of the International Tennis Federation, will take up her new role in November after she has wrapped up her work at the ongoing London Paralympics.

"I have spent the last decade planning and delivering the world's two largest sporting events," she said. "This has been an extraordinary journey and I am looking forward to putting my experience and expertise in to delivering an exceptional Rugby World Cup in 2015."

With just three years to go until the tournament begins, the first major tasks for Jevans will be to select the venues, formulate the match schedule and develop the ticketing programme.

http://uk.eurosport....-045043198.html

Archived