GDL 2011 Opening Ceremony Livechat

Ikarus360

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the opening very creative and all things just went as scheduled.

It wont be near this bad, I'm sure the Brits can handle it better than the Mexicans seem to have.

Remember these are PANAMERICAN GAMES not OLYMPIC GAMES, please do not compare.

But they had almost the same budget as Vancouver.

u kiddin me??

Vancouver 2010 budget: $1.84 BILLION

Guadalajara 2011 budget: $750 MILLION

You better get a math book!

Vancouver recieved people from all over the world, coz it was an World wide event, It can not be compared to a CONTINENTAL event, just look at Rio or Santo Domingo, besides Vancouver weren't my favourite winter Olympics either, I dont know why you give me that example...

1-Huge differences in budget

2-Not the best winter Olympic Opening

3-One is a continental event the other is an World wide event

I dont see your point!

u kiddin me??

Vancouver 2010 budget: $1.84 BILLION

Guadalajara 2011 budget: $750 MILLION

You better get a math book!

Vancouver recieved people from all over the world, coz it was an World wide event, It can not be compared to a CONTINENTAL event, just look at Rio or Santo Domingo, besides Vancouver weren't my favourite winter Olympics either, I dont know why you give me that example...

1-Huge differences in budget

2-Not the best winter Olympic Opening

3-One is a continental event the other is an World wide event

I dont see your point!

Umm I think he was talking Opening Ceremony budget, and if its true they had near the same I don't know where they blew that money because it sure as hell wasn't at the ceremony I just witnessed.

Umm I think he was talking Opening Ceremony budget, and if its true they had near the same I don't know where they blew that money because it sure as hell wasn't at the ceremony I just witnessed.

I remind you if the budget is considerably smaller than that of Vancouver, if you use your math combined with a little bit of intelligence you would know that is IMPOSSIBLE to have the same budget in anyhting, opening or closing ceremony, security etc.

The same person who prepared BEIJING 2008 and will prepare London 2012, prepared Guadalajara 2011, then is obvious that he knows the dimensions of a world wide event and a Continental event, previous pan american games were not as good as Guadalajara, let's see what is Toronto preparing, but trust me they wont prepare that event in billions, unless they want to be paying the debts for years just like Montreal 1976 :-S

The 750M are for the oppening and closing ceremony and for the parapanamerican opening and closing.

4 ceremonies

I remind you if the budget is considerably smaller than that of Vancouver, if you use your math combined with a little bit of intelligence you would know that is IMPOSSIBLE to have the same budget in anyhting, opening or closing ceremony, security etc.

The same person who prepared BEIJING 2008 and will prepare London 2012, prepared Guadalajara 2011, then is obvious that he knows the dimensions of a world wide event and a Continental event, previous pan american games were not as good as Guadalajara, let's see what is Toronto preparing, but trust me they wont prepare that event in billions, unless they want to be paying the debts for years just like Montreal 1976 :-S

What are you talking about? Beijing and London have two completely different directors, I don't know who directed Guadalajara but I would be shocked if it was the person behind either Beijing or London. You can't even call what Guadalajara had a ceremony, more like a long, boring concert with some nice fireworks. I have never in all my years seen such a thing, well besides all the closing ceremonies.

The 750M are for the oppening and closing ceremony and for the parapanamerican opening and closing.

4 ceremonies

750 Million for four ceremonies? :blink::lol:

4 ceremonies

Where did u get that figure? That must be pesetas..not US $.

Will have to see this Cermeony on Utube. Couldn't get it here on CA. I no longer have ESPN and it wasn't carried on theother Spanish channels that come with my basic COmcast pkg.

What are you talking about? Beijing and London have two completely different directors, I don't know who directed Guadalajara but I would be shocked if it was the person behind either Beijing or London. You can't even call what Guadalajara had a ceremony, more like a long, boring concert with some nice fireworks. I have never in all my years seen such a thing, well besides all the closing ceremonies.

You better be, I made a mistake not beijing 2008, worst Rio 2007 and London 2012, the company name is Five Currents, it is an american company, the same company will prepare London olympics, so you better shock now!

Now you understand similarities with Rio,right? and hopefully he will understand the dimensions of London 2012!

750 Million for four ceremonies? :blink::lol:

yeah that was the budget for the ceremonies, surprising isnt it?

Where did u get that figure? That must be pesetas..not US $.

Will have to see this Cermeony on Utube. Couldn't get it here on CA. I no longer have ESPN and it wasn't carried on theother Spanish channels that come with my basic COmcast pkg.

I a from Mexico and that is what i heard on news...

If its 750 Million dollars, that would be what, seven times Beijing?

Well I was in Beijing 2008, I was studying there, and most of the things you saw on tv didnt really happen live, when I watch it on tv I was surprised, so I am not sure about the budget stuffs, but as I read no western countries can compare to Beijjing olympics, we didnt see it in Vancouver 2010, and for sure not in Guadalajara 2011 (continental event)

Well I was in Beijing 2008, I was studying there, and most of the things you saw on tv didnt really happen live, when I watch it on tv I was surprised, so I am not sure about the budget stuffs, but as I read no western countries can compare to Beijjing olympics, we didnt see it in Vancouver 2010, and for sure not in Guadalajara 2011 (continental event)

But you just claimed that Guadalajara had 7 times the budget of Beijing :P

Beijing ENTIRE Ceremonies budget was around $140 million -- but that was for 4 Ceremonies plus ALL the Medal Ceremonies. The underground stage alone and the LED floor was already around $25 mil. Opening alone was in the $85 mil (including that $25 million stage) range.

Vancouver's ENTIRE Ceremonies budget (4 Ceremonies + Victory Ceremonies) was US$48.3 million.

All this is detailed on Table II, page 14 of my book, Ceremonies budgets are traced back to Innsbruck 1976.

Delhi was supposedly US$35 mil for their Opening only.

Beijing ENTIRE Ceremonies budget was around $160 million -- but that was for 4 Ceremonies plus ALL the Medal Ceremonies. The underground stage alone and the LED floor was already around $25 mil. Opening alone was in the $85 mil (including that $25 million stage).

Vancouver's ENTIRE Ceremonies budget was US$48.3 million.

All this is detailed on Table II, page 14 of my book, Ceremonies budgets are detailed from Innsbruck 1976.

Thanks for the figures Baron, and nice plug for your book :P

Amazing difference, Both Santo Domingo and Rio look far more entertaining.

and I think the opposite, this is all about people's tastes, Rio and Santo Domingo looks cheap and just a big Carnival, and I see some similarities with Rio, and that is because the same company directed the event.

and I think the opposite, this is all about people's tastes, Rio and Santo Domingo looks cheap and just a big Carnival, and I see some similarities with Rio, and that is because the same company directed the event.

Guadalajara looked pretty cheap too :P But I guess if you enjoyed it good for you. I know the majority of people here at least where quite disappointed.

You have to be kidding me e_e...Santo Domingo was cheap (altough more entertaining than Winnipeg) but Rio was pretty good and was close to olympic level. If only they didnt do the ceremony on such an old and outdated stadium, they could have done many more stuff.

You have to be kidding me e_e...Santo Domingo was cheap (altough more entertaining than Winnipeg) but Rio was pretty good and was close to olympic level. If only they didnt do the ceremony on such an old and outdated stadium, they could have done many more stuff.

Yeah I agree, but there resources must have been extremely limited, I don't even know how they pulled off hosting at all.

Pan Am Games open in Guadalajara

It was almost like a home game for the Canadian team at the Pan American Games.

A roar erupted at Omnilife Stadium in Guadalajara, Mexico when the large contingent of Canadian athletes walked into the stadium Friday night, led by flag-bearer Christine Sinclair. It was one of the biggest pops from the parade of 42 nations, which was capped by the thundering ovation given to the Mexican team's entry.

Wearing a red hoodie, black shorts and white hat with Canada emblazoned on the front, Sinclair was beaming as she proudly waved the Maple Leaf and led her teammates for a walk around the infield. Many of the Canadians waved small flags, jumped with excitement and danced as they walked out behind the women's soccer captain.

"It's sort of a blur to me," Sinclair said. "What an amazing, once in a lifetime opportunity to lead the Canadian team into these Games."

Thumping dance music filled the air as a crowd of about 50,000 spectators partied and cheered on a cool, comfortable evening. The weather was a pleasant change from earlier in the week, when the remnants of hurricane Jova lashed the region with heavy rain.

Canada will have some 500 athletes compete at the Games, but many skipped the ceremony to rest ahead of weekend competition, while others have yet to arrive.

The sound of Mexico's famous mariachis filled the air at the start of the curtain-raising event, signalling the opening of the 2½-week competition. It was the host country's biggest day on the international sports stage since the 1986 World Cup.

Tradition set the backdrop for much of the ceremony, which opened with women wearing colourful, traditional dresses dancing to the sound of brass and strings with Mexican vaqueros — or cowboys — riding their mounts at a quick gallop around the centre stage.

Security was tight as soldiers armed with automatic weapons were stationed throughout the parking lot and around the venue. Spectators and media had to pass through metal detectors along the perimeter of the stadium.

International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge was on hand after meeting with Pan Am Games officials earlier in the day. Rogge has attended the last two opening ceremonies — in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, in 2003, and Rio de Janeiro in 2007.

"Mexico has been a friend country that has always supported every Olympic movement," Rogge said. "I always have good memories of Mexico because I competed in the 1968 Olympic Games [in Mexico City]."

Mexican President Felipe Calderon was also in attendance, along with soccer star Rafael Marquez and boxer Julio Cesar Chavez. The ceremony lasted nearly 2½ hours and was capped by an extended fireworks display.

Calderon opened the games, standing behind a podium and reading his script in Spanish.

"With the certainty that these games symbolize a fraternal union, peace and the prosperity that we wish for all people of the Americas, I solemnly open the 16th Pan American Games," Calderon said.

The cauldron was lit by Paola Espinosa, who won a diving bronze medal three years ago at the Beijing Olympics.

Enriqueta Basilio, who lit the torch in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, was the first in a chain of former Olympians to carry the torch inside the stadium, completing the final handoff to Espinosa.

Rogge, who also competed as a sailor at the 1972 and 1976 Olympics, declined to comment earlier in the day on the venues, saying he had not visited them. Many of the venues received last-minute touches on Friday, including the 8,500-seat stadium for track and field, which has faced several delays and will host its first events Oct. 23.

The Pan American Games are a quadrennial event that includes sports such as swimming, track, cycling and gymnastics. But there are other sports less familiar to many, including rugby sevens.

The smaller, faster version of 15-a-side rugby union is making its debut at the Pan American Games, and the sport will make its Olympic debut in Rio de Janeiro.

Rugby sevens gained its inclusion for the 2016 Games after an International Olympic Committee vote in 2009. Golf also was added. But the sports that missed out at that session will still be contested in Guadalajara, such as baseball, softball, squash, roller sports and karate.

"[squash] should be an Olympic sport," said Colombian player Miguel Angel Rodriguez, who often trains in Toronto. "One of the problems is that it is an elitist sport. They should imitate tennis and create public courts so people can feel attracted to it."

Other non-Olympic sports at the Pan Am Games include water skiing, bowling, racquetball and pelota.

In the more traditional sports, the Games will be used by many as a chance to qualify for the London Olympics. Water polo, field hockey, team handball and shooting are some of the events that will have more than just a medal on the line.

Canada won 137 medals (39 gold, 43 silver, 55 bronze) at the 2007 Games, finishing third in the medal standings behind the United States and Brazil.

The United States, which has entered more than 600 athletes here, leads the overall Games medal count with 1,769 gold medals and 3,938 total medals. Cuba is next with 781 gold and 1,796 overall.

The first day of the Games on Saturday will feature 11 medal events, including five in the swimming pool. The track and field competition doesn't start until the second week.

Guadalajara looked pretty cheap too :P But I guess if you enjoyed it good for you. I know the majority of people here at least where quite disappointed.

Majority in 5 or 10 people? better watch the news and check if specialized people agree with you, and I am really happy all was on time, all looked so dsciplined, and if you see Santo Domingo and still thinks Guadalajuara was cheaper, I tell you majority of people thinks is not, muts be blind or Dominican to claim that, I mean they do better baseball matches in my village

Archived