Steve Jobs Dies

Whoa, hadn't noticed that on the news reports yet.

My Steve Jobs story.

I was in SF a few years back for the launch of the original iPhone (I think it was on the same visit that I met up with Baron and LA84). If anyone's been to a Macworld, they'd know what a crazy affair it is, particularly the behaviour of all the Mac-heads (talk about fanatics – in all my years covering IT, the wars between the Mac and Windows zealots made fundamentalist Muslims versus fundamentalist Christians look like tame pussies). Anyway, Jobs comes out to do his spiel, and is literally drowned out by the roar of the adoring crowd (many of whom had been camping outside the Moscone Centre for days to be at the launch). It was really like a revivalist meeting – utter madhouse.

After the official launch was over, some of us journos were all granted one-on-one interviews with various senior Apple folk (I drew Cook), to have a talk about and play with an iPhone. The Apple PR woman met me down at the elevators at the ground level of Moscone and took me up a few floors. As the doors opened she peered out and then asked me to stand back and not get out of the lift. Looking out and over her shoulder, I saw Jobs striding through a big entrance hall surrounded by a media scrum of photographers and TV crews. Once he'd passed the open lift, the PR hackette gestured me quickly to get out and then led us behind a big canvas tarpaulin up against the wall. “Keep covered” she told me, you're not on the list to meet him, so you can't be seen”. We spent about five minutes behind this big tarp, waiting for Jobs to finish with his soundbites before the scrum moved off and I was allowed to come out from behind the screen and be visible again. As someone who'd met VIPs from prime ministers to Bill Gates, this was the one and only time I'd been told not to offend a “great and powerful” person by daring to be at risk of coming into their line of vision.

Gunna be interesting to see what happens with Apple now!

Bill Gates: "I Will Miss Steve Immensely"

Here’s a statement from Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates on the death of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs:

I’m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs’ death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2011/10/05/bill-gates-i-will-miss-steve-immensely/

... My thoughts are with his family.

Agree...what a battler.

What a loss to modern technology, yes Steve Jobs DID change the wired world.

However, I have never owned an Apple product, and probibly never will...There's something just plain creepy about Apple in the 21st century.

I really don't see, as Sir Rols sort of intimated...what the big fuss over Mr, Jobs is. Maybe because I'm really not a big techie person...but why wasn't there all the adulation for Thomas Edison for example? Or there are a few other inventors with more inventions than the fingers of 5 hands...but why is there such idolatry over Jobs? I mean, if it wasn't him...there would've been somebody else to invent an Apple-type line. (Personally, I always thought the whole "Apple" brand was kinda corny. Couldn't they have thought up of a more original name? Personally, I like "Acorn" more as a corporate symbol than Apple.)

Do people really lead such empty lives that they have 'techies' as heroes? Sheesh...what a sad world.

I really don't see, as Sir Rols sort of intimated...what the big fuss over Mr, Jobs is. Maybe because I'm really not a big techie person...but why wasn't there all the adulation for Thomas Edison for example? Or there are a few other inventors with more inventions than the fingers of 5 hands...but why is there such idolatry over Jobs? I mean, if it wasn't him...there would've been somebody else to invent an Apple-type line. (Personally, I always thought the whole "Apple" brand was kinda corny. Couldn't they have thought up of a more original name? Personally, I like "Acorn" more as a corporate symbol than Apple.)

Do people really lead such empty lives that they have 'techies' as heroes? Sheesh...what a sad world.

Well, to each one his own, I guess....

I admired him also because of his brave fight against cancer for so many years (pancreatic is one of the worst of its kind) and many people close to me had to face this terrible sickness as well. To see him resigning as CEO a month ago was a clear sign that something bad was going to happen...

I admired him also because of his brave fight against cancer for so many years (pancreatic is one of the worst of its kind) and many people close to me had to face this terrible sickness as well. To see him resigning as CEO a month ago was a clear sign that something bad was going to happen...

As you said...he's NOT the only person in the world to have cancer. For now, mine is in remission -- gracias a Dios. I've lost many people in my supports groups to various and horrible kinds of cancer. I don't think Steve Jobs is a saint just for having had pancreatic cancer. There are many unknown people and families who have to deal with it, and have less resources than SJ did. I think those people should get more credit than Jobs.

Also, was never crazy about Apple products. I do like their sleek design but utility-wise, I don't buy them...and actually I don't.

And I wonder if Steve Jobs had a name like Frodo Kazmanskiweicz, if he would've been as famous. :blink:

As you said...he's NOT the only person in the world to have cancer. For now, mine is in remission -- gracias a Dios. I've lost many people in my supports groups to various and horrible kinds of cancer. I don't think Steve Jobs is a saint just for having had pancreatic cancer. There are many unknown people and families who have to deal with it, and have less resources than SJ did. I think those people should get more credit than Jobs.

Also, was never crazy about Apple products. I do like their sleek design but utility-wise, I don't buy them...and actually I don't.

And I wonder if Steve Jobs had a name like Frodo Kazmanskiweicz, if he would've been as famous. :blink:

Well I just wanted to point out that he was a tireless worker even with his sickness, I know he wasn't the only one and I didn't wanted to sound like I was excluding others who suffered the same fate, which I admire as well.

I also wanted to say that, like others have written on the net, that Steve Jobs was one of the few who really tought different(as it was his motto) and tried, no, really innovated more on a tech world that pretty much has become copy-paste today, at least for me.

... (Personally, I always thought the whole "Apple" brand was kinda corny. Couldn't they have thought up of a more original name? Personally, I like "Acorn" more as a corporate symbol than Apple.)

:D yeah..."Acorn", wouldn't touch that word with a 20ft flagpole now.

a

As for the 'cult of personality' surrounding Jobs, I found that to be what put me off Apple in the last decade. My opinion though :mellow:

Well,according to his Wikipedia entry, his biological father was called Abdulfattah John Jandali, so that might have been his name or something similar if he hadn't been adopted by the Jobs family and assumed their name!

Still, Abdulfattah Jandali or Steve Jobs? Either way,I guess iPhones and iPads would still have come into existence. A rose by any other name....etc. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

Acorn was already taken - it was a British PC brand in the 1980s. I guess Jobs and Wozniak thought it was more lucrative to ride the Beatles coat-tails than Sir Clive Sinclair's.

Yeah, M, I think you got the gist of what I was trying to convey - I could never really understood this total hysterical treatment of Jobs, like he was a "Rock God". I mean, I covered and reviewed tech for decades, certainly think of myself as a gadget lover, sorta always liked the Apple brand since the old Apple II machines, use an iMac at home, enjoy using my iPad (though I've resisted the iPhone to date), and I think they do good products, but I've never really been in that frame of mind to understand wholesale idol-worship of technology platforms. One of my last stories on the newspaper as to cover the opening of the Apple Store in Sydney, and it was just bizarre to interview people from as far afield as NYC who had come to Oz just to camp outside the store for days in advance to be there at the front of the queue for the opening! I can understand obsession - I belong to a fraternity that doesn't think twice about pulling an all-nighter to watch a host city vote take place! - but, maybe because of my role as an observer of the broader tech industry, I've never regarded tech as something I'd invest emotion on.

The irony is that Apple and Jobs built success as positioning themselves as THE great tech counter-culture alternative to Windows. But despite that they were always ruthlessly capitalistic and litigious, obsessively controlling, and despite their self-images, far from being philathropic. Just compare how much Jobs gave to good causes to what Bill Gates does. Yes, Jobs was a brilliant businesman, marketer and, at least early on, innovator. But more a Ford than an Edison, and more a Monty Burns than a Rockerfeller or Carnegie.

Archived