2014 FIFA World Cup - qualification

Well, I've seen what happened with Mexico, & I don't really see the problem. This sort of thing happens all the time in league setups, you can lose your game but other results send you through. It must simply be that the Mexican fans think their team played so badly in the campaign that they don't deserve to qualify at all.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ronaldo v Zlatan is the pick of those. France should get through Ukraine, but you never know when 'bad' France might turn up. Without knowing much about them, I would've thought Greece should make it. Iceland have a chance there, Croatia should still do it, but Iceland have nothing to lose.

Even when I think Portugal will win, imagine if Sweden defeat Portugal and Cristiano Ronaldo... The reaction of this and the ego wounded. :P:D

You are bullying him and he will say to you," I feel sadness".

You are bullying him and he will say to you," I feel sadness".

<_< Oh. Ronaldo is still milionaire and handsome, not exactly a "poor baby" B) If happens that, maybe his ego will be wounded for this obstacle, but not exactly an alarme.

He can pass this comment, even he faces worse things.

Blatter threatens to slash Euro and South American spots at World Cup to favour African and Asian teams

FIFA President Sepp Blatter says Africa should get more spots at the World Cup, giving teams from the continent more chances to win the tournament.

For the 2014 World Cup, 53 European nations have been competing for 13 spots at the tournament.

But the 54-nation Confederation of African Football will have five teams in Brazil, and Blatter says the continent is 'woefully under-represented at the World Cup'.

article-0-18C1E98400000578-360_634x470.j

World Cup overhaul? Sepp Blatter believes Africa and Asia are under represented at the tournament proper

Blatter says that 'as long as this remains the case, African sides may never win an intercontinental trophy, regardless of progress on the playing side. This flawed state of affairs must be rectified'.

Writing in FIFA's new weekly magazine, Blatter repeated a call for the number of guaranteed World Cup berths for Asian teams to be increased from four.

Any changes in the tournament's make up could mean European teams struggle, and at a time when England's own route to Brazil 2014 was occasionally a struggle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2476531/The-World-Cup-needs-African-Asian-teams-says-Sepp-Blatter.html#ixzz2ilLUmv17

Is this a joke?

The current system is right.

It's not right when a team like mexico that only had 2 wins in 10 games still have a chance to qualify. (and they will, btw).

Concacaf got too many spots.

Take one spot from CONCACAF, one from UEFA and give them respectively to asia and africa and we are good to go.

It's not right when a team like mexico that only had 2 wins in 10 games still have a chance to qualify. (and they will, btw).

Take one spot from CONCACAF, one from UEFA and give them respectively to asia and africa and we are good to go.

I disagree. The current system is right. Mexico stumbling indicates the growth of the sport in CONCACAF if anything. Mexico are defending Olympic and U-20 champions.

My suggestion would be to have a set amount per continent that adds to 24 then having a mini qualification tournament with 16-24 teams with the lat 8 being decided there.

Both Asia and North America/Caribbean had 2 qualify for R16. Ghana qualified for Qfs'.

Maybe an expansion to 36 would work (from an earlier suggestion)

For the first time in a long time -And that's say something about it- Blatter is right in this. It is unfair this system especially with many potential teams currently playing and competing strongly.

Mexico stumbling indicates the growth of the sport in CONCACAF if anything. Mexico are defending Olympic and U-20 champions

Those are nice triumphs and anything, but sorry, these are yesterday news. If TODAY you play bad, you deserves to be out, even with all these prior titles. It's unfair and lame to make these places just for the "prior prestige". If the growth means competition, we had the other teams -Like Costa Rica and United States-.

That's my clear point.

Also for the economical aspect. Asia is a big market and competitive teams. Take one of the spots by CONCACAF and give them to AFC

Is this a joke?

The current system is right.

I totally agree.The current system is working well and quite enough.Blatter simply wants more votes from Africa and more money from Asia.

By the way,if I enter the word "Blatter" and then translate into my language,the result is always translated as "talkative" or "bla bla bla".

There are only two competitive African teams, adding more weak teams from Africa and Asia will result in a watered down World Cup.

I agree, there simply isn't enough quality behind the top teams. The African teams rarely even qualify for the second round. For Blatter it is all about politics as those continents have about half of all the national associations of the world.

I also don't believe Mexico should always automatically qualify as they aren't a World Cup powehouse. Good team yes, but not an excellent one. There are always good teams left out of each tournament. I'd understand if people said that the likes of Brazil and Italy belong to WC.

I disagree. The current system is right. Mexico stumbling indicates the growth of the sport in CONCACAF if anything. Mexico are defending Olympic and U-20 champions.

My suggestion would be to have a set amount per continent that adds to 24 then having a mini qualification tournament with 16-24 teams with the lat 8 being decided there.

Both Asia and North America/Caribbean had 2 qualify for R16. Ghana qualified for Qfs'.

Maybe an expansion to 36 would work (from an earlier suggestion)

I think you missed my point, Intoronto.

I mean any NT that after 10 games only got 2 wins SHOULDN'T STILL BE IN THE BATTLE FOR A WC SPOT. Simple as that.

If after 10 games and only 2 wins you still have a (great) chance to qualify that means there are too many spots for your confederation. CONCACAF got too many guaranteed spots, same as europe. It's a joke that a single continent gets 13 spots. Asia is too big and too important to have so few spots.

To be even more fair:Take a guaranteed spot from UEFA, one guaranteed from Concacaf, and the unguaranteed spot from Conmebol. Merge Oceania with Asia, now that Australia left oceania anyways, Give 1 spot to Africa, 1 to ASIA and make Africa/Asia battle for the unguaranteed spot.

That would be the best scenario, IMHO.

Also, there's no way FIFA would inflate the WC even more.

ok, give them more quotas, but don't complain later about all the blowouts there'll be at WC...

Seriously speaking, Conmebol with 4 quota makes no sense. Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia and Uruguay are clearly among the top 20 sides of the world, so this way one of them will have to miss WC. Also bring to the mix Ecuador's altitude and decent team and you get a hellish qualification process as a result.

Archived