Sign in to follow this  
gotosy

2014 FIFA World Cup - qualification

What happened to Croatia?No goal because it's too chilly in Iceland? If Portugal could have made 1 more goal it could have been easier for them to go to Brazil. I hope France will do their best in next macth.

Wow, wouldn't want to be a France fan right about now! I said they'd find it hard in Ukraine, but I didn't honestly expect them to come out of the match with a result like that.

Seems they're having their World Cup meltdown a few months early! :blink:

African play-offs 2nd leg

Nigeria 2-0 Ethiopia (4-1 agg)

Nigeria 1st african team qualified

Qualified teams: Brazil, Japan, Australia, Iran, South Korea, Netherlands, Italy, United States, Costa Rica, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Colombia, Russia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, England, Spain, Chile, Ecuador, Honduras, Nigeria

Senegal 1-1 Côte d'Ivoire (2-4 agg)

Côte d'Ivoire reach 2014 World Cup

Qualified teams: Brazil, Japan, Australia, Iran, South Korea, Netherlands, Italy, United States, Costa Rica, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Colombia, Russia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, England, Spain, Chile, Ecuador, Honduras, Nigeria, Côte d'Ivoire

Too bad for Ethiopia, I kinda had hopes of seeing them debuting, but aw well. Nigeria is a much more experienced team so it was kinda predictable they would qualify without much issues.

FT: Mexico 5-1 New Zealand

Utterly disgusted at this result...expected to loose but this was a roll over.

Manager Ricky Herbert and NZ Football only made it worse when the team arrived home and promptly got some heavies to fend off the waiting media scrum rightfully wanting an explanation.

Herbert eventually obliged and apologised.

NZ has a totally impossible task to score four or more points over Mexico on Wednesday in Wellington to qualify.

NZ were awful at last Summer's ConFed Cup - the heroics of 2010 were a long time ago now. It's not that surprising really is it? I'd more or less expect a scoreline like that in a match between Mexico and New Zealand.

Edited by Rob.

NZ why don't you leave Oceania and join AFC like Aussie did? I think it'll be quite easier to be qualified than now.

NZ why don't you leave Oceania and join AFC like Aussie did? I think it'll be quite easier to be qualified than now.

Seriously? You think facing Japan and Australia multiple times is easier than facing Tahiti and the Solomon Islands? All New Zealand has to do is beat one good team to qualify, and they could just as easily be playing Jordan or a mediocre North or South American team instead of Mexico. New Zealand has undoubtedly the easiest path to the World Cup compared to other teams.

Which is why it's so unfair that the OFC exists at all. They should merge them into Asia & make a Pacific cup for Confed qualification.

Cameroon 4 - 1 Tunisia

Cameroon won 4–1 on aggregate and qualified for world cup

Qualified teams: Brazil, Japan, Australia, Iran, South Korea, Netherlands, Italy, United States, Costa Rica, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Colombia, Russia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, England, Spain, Chile, Ecuador, Honduras, Nigeria, Côte d'Ivoire, Cameroon

Seriously? You think facing Japan and Australia multiple times is easier than facing Tahiti and the Solomon Islands? All New Zealand has to do is beat one good team to qualify, and they could just as easily be playing Jordan or a mediocre North or South American team instead of Mexico. New Zealand has undoubtedly the easiest path to the World Cup compared to other teams.

AFC has 4.5 spots so if NZ could finish in 2nd place in the group then it would be easier.In case of 3rd place the situation will be quite difficult. OFC's qualification looks mild and not competitive to me.If NZ wants to progress their football I want them to join AFC. I believe NZ deserves it.

Which is why it's so unfair that the OFC exists at all. They should merge them into Asia & make a Pacific cup for Confed qualification.

Good suggestion of yoshi. I want Tahiti's pennant with seashell necklace.

Against Jordan might have had a chance, against Panama, Uruguay, Bolivia, Venezuela, or Paraguay, not a hope in hell

Against Jordan might have had a chance, against Panama, Uruguay, Bolivia, Venezuela, or Paraguay, not a hope in hell

That's very debatable.

That's very debatable.

Am I overrating the all-whites(NZ)?

Yes, a team that manages to lose his place in the Confederations Cup to Tahiti must be very weak. Losing to Mexico just because it's Mexico is not an excuse. Mexico was playing very badly the qualifiers and still thrashed New Zealand. Thankfully this year the draw was OFC x CONCACAF, AFC x CONMEBOL.

:( All that momentum gained in 2010 was lost the next year when NZ's number one game swallowed up all focus and funding to host it's World Cup.

The distance football players in NZ to assemble the national side is tremendous. Most play in UK/Europe and the strain realluy showed last week.

But I will agree that the awfull qualifying match results in the Confed/Oceania draws was downright embarrassing. NZ should never had encountered Mexico at all.

Player attitude has been found wanting and the country is punishing them rightfully so.

Otherwise fix the qualification CONCACAF(40) + OFC(14) permanently. Not so far in distance to travel each other. Too few participants for OFC and always play with the teams that they knew very well already. I know it will be more difficult to go to WC,but from a long-term viewpoints,for their progress,how about my suggestion?

Egypt 2 - 1 Ghana

Ghana advances to WC on aggregate of 3-7

Qualified teams: Brazil, Japan, Australia, Iran, South Korea, Netherlands, Italy, United States, Costa Rica, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Colombia, Russia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, England, Spain, Chile, Ecuador, Honduras, Nigeria, Côte d'Ivoire, Cameroon, Ghana

Algeria 1 - 0 Burkina Faso (3-3 agg)

Algeria go through on away goals

Qualified teams: Brazil, Japan, Australia, Iran, South Korea, Netherlands, Italy, United States, Costa Rica, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Colombia, Russia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, England, Spain, Chile, Ecuador, Honduras, Nigeria, Côte d'Ivoire, Cameroon, Ghana, Algeria

interesting, all five african teams from South Africa 2010 (Algeria, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon and Ghana) make it to Brazil 2014

6 spots to go???

I think 5 spots in total for Africa.

Congrats to each team!