2014 FIFA World Cup - qualification

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for it CAF - The way England were playing before this week, Germany will tear them apart. Will be interesting to see how this 'new' England will cope against a real world-class team.

I'm much more interested in how we perform next summer than in a relatively meaningless friendly next month. If we get to the quarter-finals in Brazil, we will have done very well.

FMF should give US Soccer a giant fruit basket this Christmas should the Mexicans qualify for Brazil for that with the Americans saying "Onada". They were given a very serious lifeline thanks to those extra time goals. Mexico has been very dysfunctional in team play, execution, and chemistry. Thus, they constantly fall short after what seems at times to have breakthrough performances. Therefore, they don't really deserve to qualify. Imagine the furor across Mexico when they ultimately don't qualify, but it will be expected. Actually, I seriously think Mexico will have, even with the high altitude at Mexico City's Azteca Stadium, a very difficult time against a well-organized defensive team that New Zealand is in the first leg with them putting numbers behind the ball. Can the Mexicans create enough create quality chances to score and break down defenses? The All-Whites' major problem I can see initially will be that high altitude. Are they accustomed to it--can't recall when they last played, even in a friendly, in such a condition? But my money's on the All-Whites to perservere there and win a World Cup spot back in Wellington's Westpac Stadium (aka The Cake Tin) in front of their white-clad fans like against Bahrain. On the other hand, a wounded Mexico can be dangerous.

Agreed on that. I hope New Zealand wins, because they deserve it. Or better, not give it the full ticket to New Zealand, because is unfair.

Obviously sport media in Mexico are attacking the football team at the moment. I remember their road to 2010 was also plagued with problems, and I can even recall one of the guys working in Fox Sports Latin America saying that it was better not to qualify to the WC if they were just going to make a ridicule. °_° that kinda tells how much dissapointed the fans are towards the Tri.

Seriously the sentiment isn't less that expected. And now, we have the prior "idol" Javier Hernandez celebrating the triumph of the United States as if was HIS result was bitter and pathetic.

European play-off draw procedures explained

1960590_FULL-LND.jpg
© Getty Images

The 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ European play-off draw will take place at the Home of FIFA in Zurich on Monday, 21 October at 14.00 CET. The draw will be broadcast live on FIFA.com.

The eight best runners-up in the European qualifying competition were decided on the completion of the group matches last Tuesday. The eight teams will be drawn into four play-off matches, which will be played on a home-and-away basis and determine the four remaining European teams for the final tournament.

Draw procedure

The eight teams qualified for the play-offs will be seeded into two pots based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking published on 17 October 2013 (ranking position in brackets):

Pot 1: Portugal (14), Greece (15), Croatia (18), Ukraine (20)

Pot 2: France (21), Sweden (25), Romania (29), Iceland (46)

One team will be drawn from Pot 1 and one team will be drawn from Pot 2, with those two balls then placed into a third pot.

The two balls will be stirred again and drawn one by one. The first ball drawn will be the home team for the first leg.

The same process will be repeated for the remaining balls in each pot.

The draw will be conducted by Gordon Savic, Head of FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, with the assistance of Alexander Frei, the former Swiss international who appeared in the two last World Cups and 84 international matches (42 goals, all-time Swiss top scorer).

The play-off matches are due to be played on 15 November and 19 November respectively.

The team which scores the greater number of goals in the two matches qualifies. In the event of a tie, the team that scores the greater number of away goals will qualify. If the winner is still not decided, the second-leg match will go to extra time with two periods of 15 minutes each, with the away goals rule still applied. If no goals are scored in extra time, then the penalty kick procedures will apply, as described in the Laws of the Game.

FIFA

Surprised FIFA hasn't gerrymandered the rankings to benefit France, but I guess FIFA is confident that France has a good chance against Ukraine or Greece.

Hoping for France-Portugal, Sweden-Ukraine, Greece-Iceland and Croatia-Romania

Also the seeding has been annouced.

Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Switzerland and either Uruguay/Netherlands.

I mean 3 of these things are not like the other? What crack is FIFA on?

That means we could potentially see a Colombia-Iceland-Jordan-Honduras group with a Argentina-Netherlands-USA-Cote d'Ivoire group.

Surprised FIFA hasn't gerrymandered the rankings to benefit France, but I guess FIFA is confident that France has a good chance against Ukraine or Greece.

Hoping for France-Portugal, Sweden-Ukraine, Greece-Iceland and Croatia-Romania

Also the seeding has been annouced.

Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Switzerland and either Uruguay/Netherlands.

I mean 3 of these things are not like the other? What crack is FIFA on?

That means we could potentially see a Colombia-Iceland-Jordan-Honduras group with a Argentina-Netherlands-USA-Cote d'Ivoire group.

Or even worse Spain, Netherlands, Mexico, Ghana

I also hope New Zealand qualifies too. Somehow Oceania really deserves a full ticket to qualify to the FIFA World Cup, even when we all know there are no good teams in that sport over there.

Reading Mexican media surveys as well as social networks, most of Mexican soccer fans prefer not to qualify and they rather boycott anything related to the Mexican Foot-ball Federation. In the other hand, Brazil wants Mexico to go there considering all the revenues this produce among both nations.

Oceania, except for that brief time in 2005 when it was quickly taken, never had automatic entry for the FIFA World Cup, partly that means taking away a precious spot from the proven and established area in South America, Asia, and (God forbid) Europe. Witness all those heartbreaking times the Socceroos tried to qualify with only a final hurdle to clear. Sure the All-Whites will always qualify now if that happened, but with Tahiti shockingly making it to the Confedrations Cup, anything's possible out of that.

Funny, there was a fun Twitter exchange from Mexican soccer fans thanking US Soccer for the win and Mexican chance to face NZ, never mind they are bitter rivals and social media messages of thank to the US.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/mexico-grateful-u-s-beating-panama-article-1.1487426

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1584570/us-wins-keeps-mexico-hopes-alive?cc=5901

PS: RIP Bruno Metsu :(

A death group: Argentina, Italy, USA and Chile and a possible "laugh" group with: Switzerland, Iceland, Burkina Fasso and Jordan LOOOOL :lol:

We could also see a France-Portugal playoff to the WC, this will get very exiting.

A death group: Argentina, Italy, USA and Chile

If FIFA keep the same rule from past world cups, two teams from the same continent can't be drawn together, with the exception of europe.

Anyway, I think Australia should go back to Oceania and get the whole continent a full direct ticket to the World Cup.

I think OFC qualification is not competitive and 0.5 berth is always appropriate.As long as Aussie belongs to AFC,even if they finished in 2nd place it is easy to get ticket to WC at anytime.

I personally think AFC covers too many Asian associations and the range is geographically too wide. Add OFC to AFC,then divide the whole into West AFC and East AFC.

You never know, if West Asia had its own confederation, Qatar might even get within a round of qualifying :lol:

Qatar is always weak and other national teams in western Asia play better than Qatar,I guess.

Anyway,I hope Uruguay will be qualified finally.I want to watch Diego Forlan play because next WC must be last one for him considering his age.For Mexico and New Zealnd,I'm not sure which will go to Brazil.

No.

Why are you asking a question on the boards that you could easily answer for yourself with 30 seconds of online research?

Irritating.

Do you realize that google can access a huge part of the human knowledge we accumulated through history and therefore if you formulate good parameters you can have a lot of questions you have answered after 30 seconds of online research, right?

So what's the point of anything, afterall?

Google can't answer such a philosophical question, yet.. Anyways, you're proving my point that his demand is absurd to say the least.

Really McCatra?

Try this on for size: what is someone posted "Does anybody know which cities bid for the 2020 Olympics?"

I suppose it would be "absurd" for me to be irritated by that question too.

Edit: what IF someone posted....

Archived