2014 FIFA World Cup - qualification

That was the result Jurgen Klinsmann realistically hoped for coming out of Azteca Stadium last night. They have to play for points in the early going with its young players. Not happy with the Honduras result earlier, but this is early days. I'm also not happy again that Canada can't make the final hurdle.

I still have faith that the Socceroos will eventually qualify for Brazil. But that Oman match did not help. Aim for a tie in Japan, if you can't get a stunning win there to even things out. Then work out for wins later against Jordan and Iraq in Sydney.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Japan face Australia for World Cup berth

SAITAMA: Asian champions Japan face hot regional rivals Australia on Tuesday needing just a point to become the first country to qualify for next year's World Cup alongside hosts Brazil.

In a rematch of the 2011 Asian Cup final won by Japan, the Blue Samurai are strongly tipped to book their ticket after totting up 13 points in six games to sit six clear in Group B.

By contrast, third-placed Australia have only six points from five games and face a nerve-shredding fortnight, starting on Tuesday, when they will play their last three matches of the final round of Asian qualifying.

AFP

SAITAMA: Asian champions Japan face hot regional rivals Australia on Tuesday needing just a point to become the first country to qualify for next year's World Cup alongside hosts Brazil.

In a rematch of the 2011 Asian Cup final won by Japan, the Blue Samurai are strongly tipped to book their ticket after totting up 13 points in six games to sit six clear in Group B.

By contrast, third-placed Australia have only six points from five games and face a nerve-shredding fortnight, starting on Tuesday, when they will play their last three matches of the final round of Asian qualifying.

In the case of USA-Germany game, the Germans used a young B-team playing against an American squad that has some German-Americans like Jermaine Jones, Terrance Boyd, Fabian Johnson, and Danny Williams. I also remember Benny Feilhaber from four years ago.

I'm still worried about the Socceroos. Yeah, they got the last two Asian World Cup qualifiers back at Stadium Australia (or ANZ Stadium). But Iraq and Jordan aren't exactly slouches. If it weren't for Matt McKay's utter stupidity, the Socceroos could've stole a much-needed game at Saitama and had some important cushoin. And you need that in important things like this. This, I fear, will come back to bite them...all I have to do is take dead aim at him with my finger if that happens. The Blue Samurai would qualify anyway with that lead it has in its group.

http://video.news.com.au/2389347163/McKay-concedes-late-penalty-for-Socceroos?area=endslate3

UEFA - Group G

Latvia 0 - 5 Bosnia-Herzegovina

Liechtenstein 1 - 1 Slovakia

Lithuania 0 - 1 Greece

1- Bosnia-Herzegovina 16 pts

2- Greece 13

3- Slovakia 9

4- Lithuania 5

5- Latvia 4

6- Liechtenstein 2

UEFA - Group C

Austria 2 -1 Sweden

Ireland 3 - 0 Faroe Islands

1- Germany 16 pts

2- Austria 11

3- Rep. of Ireland 11

4- Sweden 8

5- Kazakhstan 1

6- Faroe Islands 0

UEFA - Group A

Croatia 0 - 1 Scotland

Belgium 2 - 1 Serbia

1- Belgium 19 pts

2- Croatia 16

3- Serbia 7

4- Wales 6

5- Scotland 5

6- Macedonia 4

UEFA - Group B

Armenia 0 - 1 Malta

Czech Republic 0 - 0 Italy

1- Italy 14 pts

2- Bulgaria 10

3- Czech Republic 9

4- Denmark 6

5- Armenia 3

6- Malta 3

That terrible draw from UEFA did that horrible group with Switzerland and Greece and put France & England in such difficults groups.

Italy & Portugal are in tough group too.

That could results in dissapointing teams to represent Europe at the next WC:(

^^ Yeah.... Portugal was doing badly, if they had lost against Russia the other day they would be almost kicked out of the WC. Now they're leading the group (although with two more games than the others). Italy, on the other han

On the other hand Belgium is almost qualified for the WC (it would be their return after two tournaments without playing) and Bosnia and Montenegro could play their first WC's in their history at this pace (although Montenegro defeat against Ukraine left them on a difficult situation, now leading with just two points)

Archived