• Wales (QF1)
    • England (QF2)
    • France (QF2)
    • South Africa (QF3)
    • Australia (QF3)
    • New Zealand (QF4)
    • Argentina (QF4)

Oi, get your own prediction! :rolleyes:

That is my prediction... I became a Rugby fan during the tournament...

The QF and the SF will become very hard for New Zealand, but they will make it.

I think Ireland is playing such a great tournament that they will be able to win the QF as well as the SF.

South Africa will loose the SF with a very small margin - but they will win the "small final"

As I've said in the tournament thread, I think the loss of Dan Carter is an absolute bodyblow to the All Blacks and brings them back to the field. As a result, I think this World Cup is now wide open and almost all of the teams left in it could lift the trophy in three weeks time.

In the southern hemisphere half of the draw, I expect New Zealand to overcome Argentina comfortably in their quarter-final. South Africa v Australia promises much, but I fear the extent of the injuries that have befallen the Wallabies may scupper their challenge, so I'm going for an All Blacks v Springboks semi-final. There, I think the shock will happen. I agree with CAF that it will be close, but I would take South Africa to edge past New Zealand and into a second successive final. The biggest fear that the Kiwis surely have, apart from injuries, is that the burden of pressure and expectation will stifle their team again. The loss of Carter may well exacerbate that.

In the Six Nations half of the draw, I think we really have two 50-50 quarter-finals and you can make a case for any of the four sides to make the final. In many ways it's a shame that the two teams who have played the best of the northern hemisphere sides so far, Wales and Ireland, meet each other now. But Wales have recovered very well from coming so close to beating South Africa in their opening game and I think they'll just get past Ireland. Off-field issues may be giving Martin Johnson headaches, but I think England will shut a few people up by beating the French before falling to the Welsh in the semi-final.

I then go for the All Blacks to beat us in the third place playoff and Wales to take revenge on the Springboks and lift the trophy. Madness? Possibly, but this is now the most wide open World Cup we've seen and you can make a case for probably seven of the eight sides left winning it. Though, on the basis of what I've just said, you're probably wise to lump on New Zealand v Ireland in the final and Australia v France in the third place game.

As I've said in the tournament thread, I think the loss of Dan Carter is an absolute bodyblow to the All Blacks and brings them back to the field. As a result, I think this World Cup is now wide open and almost all of the teams left in it could lift the trophy in three weeks time.

:mellow: I said it first!

:( Anyway, I think the "Choke" has happened...The Argentina match will be good but the All Blacks will find it really tough up against either tri-nation counterparts in the semis. In which case I believe Australia will be a finalist.

:unsure: Still can't pick the winner though...

I became a Rugby fan during the tournament...

Great to see you become a convert, Marts!

So, North versus South.

South: Even without Carter, the All Blacks should still have a, cough, choke-hold on the tournament. Oz has got its own injury problems and have been too inconsistent to me all through this year anyway. The Boks are looming as the real danger in my mind ... they flew under the radar all through the tri-nations, but have seemed pretty primed here. I fear I say Hasta La Vista next week to the Pumas, though.

North: It should be England to get through to the semis, but those Bleus! You never know what they'll do one match from the next - they're don't have a record for unpredictability for nothing. Whoever wins that match should make it to the final ... but the irish have been a tough side and the Welsh have been pretty consistent here too. This would be a great chance for one of them to snatch destiny.

My Expectation:

1. NZ

2. England

3. South Africa

4. Ireland

Not only have I tipped them to win it here, but I've also had a little bet on them. Fully expect them to lose to Ireland now.

Don't write Wales off just yet...They seem to pull out all stops when it matters, just like Australia...Another potential upset there.

Archived