Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deawebo

Baku's chances

Baku's bid will be beter than 2016, but will Balu be a 6th candidate?

First of all if you want to be credible, please write Baku properly!

Secondly, it depends. Doha might be a shoe-in since they were denied a spot in 2016, so having 1 eliminated applicant might not be in the best interest of the IOC, so they might let Baku slip through.

As for being better well let's see their offering:

Main Olympic Stadium of 64,000 - Just under construction.

Baku Crystal Hall - Just Built for the 2012 Eurovision Song Contest.

Heydar Aliyev Sports and Exhibition Complex - As an existing venue with no permanent works needed.

Part 1 of the Expo Center - As existing venues with no permanent works needed (Parts 2, 3 and possibly 4 of the Expo Center built near the existing one).

Tofiq Bahramov Stadium - Recently being renovated for the Women's U-17 World Cup and as another venue with no permanent works needed.

Baku Tennis Academy - Existing, requiring expansion (current main court of 3,000 will be relegated as court 3, with a new main court and court 2 built. Work may be needed to demolish nearby buildings to allow for arena space. An alternative would be to build a new tennis complex somewhere else).

Various recently built training complexes in the city and nation.

More hotel infrastructure in the city.

Expanded and upgraded subway.

Currently underway a new airport terminal at the international airport.

I think this time they'll be shortlisted, but a SOG in Azarbaijan? Unlikely. I think it's the right time for Istanbul now.

Shortlist what shortlist? Shortlist implies a Applicant being eliminated. Doha seems unlikely even with the past recent events. So if anything, there will be no shortlist and the IOC declares all bidding cities as Candidates.

Shortlist what shortlist? Shortlist implies a Applicant being eliminated. Doha seems unlikely even with the past recent events. So if anything, there will be no shortlist and the IOC declares all bidding cities as Candidates.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both Doha and Baku out.

The IOC will eliminate two or none. For that reason, Baku must hope all the other bidders are strong enough to get through.

I can see both Doha and Baku out or everybody in.

I doubt the IOC would cut Doha, Baku and Istanbul (even if all three deserved it) because it would look very bad to eliminate all the Islamic candidates. For that reason alone, I think Istanbul is guaranteed a place on the shortlist.

The IOC will eliminate two or none.

I honestly don't understand that reasoning. Why exactly do you think it's both or neither? I can't see any reason why one can't make it if the other doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both Doha and Baku out.

If Doha and Baku is out (I doubt they'll just eliminate Doha), then it would be Doha crying foul again and Baku saying that they'll become definite Candidates next time they bid for the Olympics, where the Olympic Stadium and other key venues will be built ready to go.

Doha will not be eliminated, it will become a Candidate. As for winning, the IOC can eliminate them in the 1st round. No elaborate gold plated, camel and Arabian horse skin padded 3 file bid books ever change this (although if Baku is going through, then they might be the 1st ones eliminated who knows? If that were the case, then no fancy expensive, silk carpet woven 3 bid book suitcase will ever change that! :P)

I honestly don't understand that reasoning. Why exactly do you think it's both or neither? I can't see any reason why one can't make it if the other doesn't.

Well, they wouldn't eliminate Annecy. Granted, the French NOC is much more powerful.....

I suppose you could be right. It just seems to me that for political reasons it would be quite uncomfortable leaving just one kid off the team. Better to go with two so that misery has company and it doesn't seem so personal.

Ok, Baku is making merits to be in... And of course Doha will be shortlisted, if they do not include Doha it will be "closing the door on the Arab world FOR ALL LIFE) so even though Doha is the less-likely chpice they'll be in... So Baku which is taking this race really serious... Could be in, even if they dont have any chance... Aka Annecy.

I'm starting to think that the IOC could include all 6 Applicants, simply due to have all choices on the table as some sort of insurance policy. In case Europe (&/or to a lesser extent, Japan) fall into financial chaos within the next couple of years. Better to have at least someone, versus no one, to host the Games in times of extreme difficulty.

Less than zero? The deseve at least a far chance, their economy is good, is the only good part of their bid

I agree that Baku's actual chances aren't that great. But in a time of virtual economic crises, Baku could at least throw money at the Olynpics, something Europe can't do right now. And if the Eurozome continues to deteriorate, the IOC may have no other choice. Although, I would say if that were the case, Doha would have the edge.

But like I said earlier, they might get on the short-list as some sort of insurance policy. That doesn't translate into that they'll win. Like everything else; one prepares for the worst but hopes for the best. As it stands now, Id say that their chances aren't that great. But in a time of potential European economic calamity... Who knows.

Baku's chances? Less than zero, period. End of Discussion. I have the final say, so sayeth the Drewsif. <_<

Why cant Azerbaijan host SOG? We are a sport nation. We have a strong developing economy and quality infrastructure. If Baku makes a good bid,

anything can happen.

The main reason why the IOC wants to limit the final candidates to 4 or 5 is the timing on voting day. Unless they change it, each city is given 45 minutes (including the Q&A part); then they take a 15-minute break in-between each city. So, if there were 5...they start at 9:00 am. That means they have to break at 12 for lunch. Resume at 1; then finish with cities 4 and 5--ending at 3:00. If there were 6, they would end at 4:00. ANd only then will the Voting begin.

I suppose they could rush the Voting part -- but they sure take their darn SWEET TIME in the Voting process--probably 4 rounds. And it's done slowly because of the checks and double-checks that it is a fair and honest electoral process. Then they have to gather everyone again for the announcement.

6 cities JUST makes it a much longer day than if there were only 4 or 5.

The main reason why the IOC wants to limit the final candidates to 4 or 5 is the timing on voting day. Unless they change it, each city is given 45 minutes (including the Q&A part); then they take a 15-minute break in-between each city. So, if there were 5...they start at 9:00 am. That means they have to break at 12 for lunch. Resume at 1; then finish with cities 4 and 5--ending at 3:00. If there were 6, they would end at 4:00. ANd only then will the Voting begin.

I suppose they could rush the Voting part -- but they sure take their darn SWEET TIME in the Voting process--probably 4 rounds. And it's done slowly because of the checks and double-checks that it is a fair and honest electoral process. Then they have to gather everyone again for the announcement.

What about doing it like FIFA? If there are too many candidates, just spread it over two days. Or you could do the presentations the day before. That would also shorten it. But until May 23, it's several months to go and perhaps Rome or Madrid could withdraw because of the debt crisis in .Southern Europe. We'll see!

So, if there were 5...they start at 9:00 am. That means they have to break at 12 for lunch. Resume at 1; then finish with cities 4 and 5--ending at 3:00. If there were 6, they would end at 4:00. ANd only then will the Voting begin.

Well, the last time we had 6 cities on voting day was for the 1992 & 1996 Summer Games. And for the 1992 Winter Games there were SEVEN cities. And according to the Gamesbids site, the two 1992 voting sessions were on the same day. But that does indeed seem like a lot for one day, though.

And besides, 9-4 still isn't a full work day for most people. And all these royal-wannabes are doing here R just listening & watching presentations, ask some 'questions' & then have to push a few buttons at the end of it all. And not to mention, everything is already set up for them in the first place. Woop-dee. Such hard work for those old, Lausaunne gnomes. <_<

4 cities like the last time? I dont think so... The fair number is always 5... But in this campaign i'd rather see all qualified. If its a longer day, leave it to'the IOC but members will be a little bit bored when Madrid is presenting.... :S

I think by the 5th city, you're probably a little bored already...after all, ALL the cities are PROMISING THE WORLD--so one's differentiating abilities probably start to blur...which is why the max is 5.

There is no "official" set max, though. If all cities technically make the benchmark, then all applicants can continue to candidate stage. Unless the IOC tweaks their own rules, like they did with Doha 2016, then that is a different story.

I think it will be 5 cities put through for sure. But if Madrid was smart they would drop out this time, making it 4 candidates minus Madrid and probably Baku.

I think it will be 5 cities put through for sure. But if Madrid was smart they would drop out this time, making it 4 candidates minus Madrid and probably Baku.

They're not. They're just bull-headed and headed for disappointment.

Why should Madrid will drop? Its never gonna happen even the crisis is gard they had 80% of their venues already built...