Doha's chances

yeap and now comparing Qatar with turkey spain italy and Tokyo is ridicolous , even azerbaijan is much more good at sports.

giving the olympics to a country wit NO medals NO sporting success NO sports legacy but just for the money, is daggering the whole Olympic spirit.

Wrong! They've won TWO bronze medals :P . Why do you say "even Azerbaijan"? They've won 7 medals in Beijing, Turkey got only one more. I think race this time will be quite interesting. Three cities (Rome, Madrid, Tokyo) are in countries with enormous debt, Turkey has huge problems with Israel and hasn't got any chance to join EU, Baku - forget about it and Doha, really?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong! They've won TWO bronze medals :P . Why do you say "even Azerbaijan"? They've won 7 medals in Beijing, Turkey got only one more. I think race this time will be quite interesting. Three cities (Rome, Madrid, Tokyo) are in countries with enormous debt, Turkey has huge problems with Israel and hasn't got any chance to join EU, Baku - forget about it and Doha, really?

Actually the amount of medals they won from homegrown athletes is a big 0. Both medals were from Bulgarian athletes they bought.

As I said earlier:

1) Why award a country that discriminates against women (no women had ever competed for Qatar at an Olympics) when the IOC is trying to make the Olympics with gender equality.

2) Why award a country that has won no medals with homegrown athletes (the two bronze medals won by Qatar so far are from athletes that were bought from other countries such as Bulgaria).

3) The weather why award a candidate an Olympics when other cities are willing to host it in the regular time frame. Most people will be in school/work in September/October meaning the interest won't be as high. Granted the games have been held before in September (but the country hosting deserved too).

4) Far more prestigious cities in the running (Tokyo, Madrid, Istanbul and Rome).

5) What kind of legacy are some of the venues going to leave? Most will end up as white elephants.

6) Big inequality exists in Qatari society, "Qatar is an absolute monarchy governed by Sharia law. The government holds no elections and power is assumed through family lineage. There are huge inequalities and massive human rights violations throughout the nation."

7) A country smaller then the Falkland Islands should not host (especially when the Falkland Islands don't have a NOC)!

8) Qatar won the 2022 bid by "buying" votes. Why should Qatar be awarded for this bribery?

IOC members if your reading this consider the above! laugh.gif

The IOC will not make themselves a public hypocrite by basing their decision to not award the games to Qatar on that issue seeing how easily they overlooked China.

the IOC.

Of course not. They will be hypocrites in private.

In some moments i think this race doesn't has solid bids, every bid has something bad... That makes this really intresting anyone can win. ;) well Baku and Doha is not really likelly... :P

The IOC will not make themselves a public hypocrite by basing their decision to not award the games to Qatar on that issue seeing how easily they overlooked China.

The IOC chooses who does host an Olympics, not who doesn't. If they don't pick Doha, they don't have to justify why they didn't.

Secondly "Unless all 4 drop out, I just don't see how Doha can compete in any way except with money"

To that I say in this cycle, that's the only way you need to compete.

This is another furphy that gets tossed about all too frequently: the notion that if the IOC picks a “rich” host, like the USA or Qatar, they stand to make more money themselves.

Sure, a good war chest helps to create an effective campaign (though it didn't help Tokyo's or Chicago's 2016 bids to win), and means the difference when it comes to actual games preparations between the hosts sticking to a strict budget or spending with no limit. But the IOC itself doesn't get reams of money back from the hosts they choose. Rather, their income comes from the other ancillary channels like the broadcasting and sponsorship rights, and the IOC then gives a lot of this back to the host – whether they really need it or not.

If the host has any role in determining how much these avenues yield, it's in how attractive they are to sponsors and TV rights bidders. Would a Coke, a Panasonic, a McDonalds, an NBC or a Dow Chemicals themselves be prepared to bid more for the rights to a Games in, say, China, than for Qatar or Durban or Toronto or wherever? Frankly, I'm not sure Qatar, or the Gulf region in general, is a more attractive commercial proposition for such companies than anywhere else in the world. And even then, such thinking is probably moot, since most rights holders sign up for multi-games, multi-year contracts before hosts are even decided anyway.

Unless you're talking about deep pockets meaning overt and bigger bribes to individual IOC members (which I'm sure none of us, however committed you are to a particular bidder, would like to see). And anyway, corruption allegations can be counter-productive to "legitimate" sources of income - witness Emirates (of all sponsors!) dropping their FIFA sponsorship specifically because of the ongoing stench surrounding the 2022 vote.

This is another furphy that gets tossed about all too frequently: the notion that if the IOC picks a “rich” host, like the USA or Qatar, they stand to make more money themselves.

This is not the reason why I said money will win this cycle. I was not alluding to Qatar bribing the ioc to give them bigger payout. I was alluding to the fact that we are in a global economic crisis and the person with the most money is most likely to guarantee that the physical elements of the games are achieved on time. that's all.

This is not the reason why I said money will win this cycle. I was not alluding to Qatar bribing the ioc to give them bigger payout. I was alluding to the fact that we are in a global economic crisis and the person with the most money is most likely to guarantee that the physical elements of the games are achieved on time. that's all.

Yas, that's a plus, but about the only plus that have. But I doubt any of the rest would have much trouble delivering either. I still think there's too many other negatives on t he Doha side of the equation, which have been gone over here at length, for the IOC to be otherwise but squeamish in accepting them.

It's going to be interesting to see the first Bid Index.

Seoul only had to compete with Nagoya, a second/third rate city at a time when no one wanted the Games. I think Australia was considering a bid for 1988. Had they bid, Korea might never have hosted the Summer Games to date.

If the only competition Doha has is Baku, then I would support Doha. But unlike Seoul, Doha has stiff and better competition.

yes two two other stiff and better competition

Tokyo and Istanbul although Doha has the money

Fair enough, obviously you're excited and inspired by the idea of Doha hosting. But I think that's leading you to overstate its chances, and understate its liabilities and it's oppositions' advantages.

Sure, it could do it, but I just can't see any way it's anything but a long shot. Granted, I thought the same way about its chances for the 2022 WC, and I still think that decision is just bizarre.

Haha yes maybe i am excited, i mean who doesnt want to see an upset LOL kidding

There are only 2 real other threats, as much as rome and madrid try, i doubt the IOC will risk giving it to countries that are in severe money troubles.

Istanbul probably will win and i'd love to see them host it aswell.

I want doha to win but i know Istanbul win

Actually the amount of medals they won from homegrown athletes is a big 0. Both medals were from Bulgarian athletes they bought.

As I said earlier:

1) Why award a country that discriminates against women (no women had ever competed for Qatar at an Olympics) when the IOC is trying to make the Olympics with gender equality.

2) Why award a country that has won no medals with homegrown athletes (the two bronze medals won by Qatar so far are from athletes that were bought from other countries such as Bulgaria).

3) The weather why award a candidate an Olympics when other cities are willing to host it in the regular time frame. Most people will be in school/work in September/October meaning the interest won't be as high. Granted the games have been held before in September (but the country hosting deserved too).

4) Far more prestigious cities in the running (Tokyo, Madrid, Istanbul and Rome).

5) What kind of legacy are some of the venues going to leave? Most will end up as white elephants.

6) Big inequality exists in Qatari society, "Qatar is an absolute monarchy governed by Sharia law. The government holds no elections and power is assumed through family lineage. There are huge inequalities and massive human rights violations throughout the nation."

7) A country smaller then the Falkland Islands should not host (especially when the Falkland Islands don't have a NOC)!

8) Qatar won the 2022 bid by "buying" votes. Why should Qatar be awarded for this bribery?

IOC members if your reading this consider the above! laugh.gif

9) Why should the IOC award the olympics to countries that are in severe financial crisis

10) Why award it to these countries when after 2013 they might have to pull out due to money issues

Faukland island have 3000 people in the country, i understand you were making a point but maybe you couldve picked a country which actually has a close population to qatar

Qatar should be sending 4 female athletes to the olympics this year.

Do you really think a country that has won just two bronze medals and let never participatre women in sports deserves to host it? And another point speaking against Doha: The oil reserves there aren't that big anymore. Maybe in 2030 or so there probably won't be anything left and Qatar will have to manage it with much less money.

I just spent hours running thousands of numbers based on the IOC's past decisions, and in my estimation Doha has a 0.00000000001% chance of winning the 2020 Summer Olympics. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Do you really think a country that has won just two bronze medals and let never participatre women in sports deserves to host it? And another point speaking against Doha: The oil reserves there aren't that big anymore. Maybe in 2030 or so there probably won't be anything left and Qatar will have to manage it with much less money.

WRONG, Qatars natural gas reserves are expected to last another 200 years, not to mention that by 2030 Qatars budget will be 100% non-hydrocarbon based, diverse economy, this is all going with accordance with the 2030 National Vision which has sport as one of it's pillars, this is why Qatar is investing heavily in sport, the last Olympic bid campaign had the "schools Olympic program" as a bid process legacy, that same program still goes on today, intact the nation has built on from the last bid and today we are celebrating the nations first ever "national sport day" !!

National Sport Day

http://superkoora.com/images/1327856077sportday.jpg[/ IMG]

The second Tuesday of February is to be celebrated as National Sports Day in Qatar from the year 2012. Many series of sports events would be held through the country in both Public and Private sectors to emphasize sports among its population - national & expat.

Qatar becomes one of the few nations to dedicate a day for sports.

WRONG, Qatars natural gas reserves are expected to last another 200 years, not to mention that by 2030 Qatars budget will be 100% non-hydrocarbon based, diverse economy, this is all going with accordance with the 2030 National Vision which has sport as one of it's pillars, this is why Qatar is investing heavily in sport, the last Olympic bid campaign had the "schools Olympic program" as a bid process legacy, that same program still goes on today, intact the nation has built on from the last bid and today we are celebrating the nations first ever "national sport day" !!

Yet you can't defend everything else he listed.

I covered everything else he stated long back, it's your choice if you believe it or not, the same way I respect your facts, you should respect mine. Sport is one of the pillars of growth for this country, Aspire academy, schools Olympic program and national sport day insure a prosperous future in sports. Women's participation in sports is well known in Qatar (Asian games, Arab games, youth Olympics) team and individual sports,,,.

Archived