Doha's chances

I just watched European Champions League Match highlight between Barca and Leverkusen, then I just realized, never underestimate the money power of qatari.... They can 'buy' FIFA,, even the best football club at this time, a club that proudly call themselves 'a more than club', a national team of catalonia, a 'national team' that should never put a sponsor on their shirt, and right now that 'national team' put the name of QATAR foundation in their chest... it's sad, but Doha could buy anything... with this kind of race don't be surprise if in the end, a city that will host 2020 games will be a city in the middle east, a country with their money could buy anything....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched European Champions League Match highlight between Barca and Leverkusen, then I just realized, never underestimate the money power of qatari.... They can 'buy' FIFA,, even the best football club at this time, a club that proudly call themselves 'a more than club', a national team of catalonia, a 'national team' that should never put a sponsor on their shirt, and right now that 'national team' put the name of QATAR foundation in their chest... it's sad, but Doha could buy anything... with this kind of race don't be surprise if in the end, a city that will host 2020 games will be a city in the middle east, a country with their money could buy anything....

Since we are on the topic of the Barcelona shirt sponsorship by Qatar Foundation, its worth noting that Qatar Foundation is a non-profit organization and its goal is to unlock human potential.

The deal was not done between QF and Barcelona, however it was between Qatar Sport Investment company and Barcelona, they paid for it, not QF, they needed to promote Qatar and the best choice was QATAR FOUNDATION.

http://www.qf.org.qa/

WRONG, Qatars natural gas reserves are expected to last another 200 years, not to mention that by 2030 Qatars budget will be 100% non-hydrocarbon based, diverse economy, this is all going with accordance with the 2030 National Vision which has sport as one of it's pillars, this is why Qatar is investing heavily in sport, the last Olympic bid campaign had the "schools Olympic program" as a bid process legacy, that same program still goes on today, intact the nation has built on from the last bid and today we are celebrating the nations first ever "national sport day" !!

honey we have a national fest for sports for 80 years :D... and im sorry but i dont believe any gulf countries can develop without fossil energy. when its over there will be nothing interested for bussiness but deserts. the money will flow to other energy rich countries . till someone invent an energy source which is sooo cheap and world wide we all link to oil and natura gas

IMO, it should be a bid process between Baku, Doha and Istanbul. ONLY :D

Tokyo and Madrid have other issues to worry about.

Agreed but i guess it'll be interesting seeing who'll win i mean, i can't wait to see how Madrid could pull off 10 billion bucks right now with 17% unemployment and as for tokyo i said earlier

and yes people can say the Olympic games generate profit and employment blah blah, but thats long term and we are in the now, spain needs jobs and money now

Agreed but i guess it'll be interesting seeing who'll win i mean, i can't wait to see how Madrid could pull off 10 billion bucks right now with 17% unemployment and as for tokyo i said earlier

and yes people can say the Olympic games generate profit and employment blah blah, but thats long term and we are in the now, spain needs jobs and money now

with spains 17% unemployment typo

this was an interesting read. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=7578690

this was an interesting read. http://sports.espn.g...=oly&id=7578690

weird thing is spains been pretty persistent aswell

seville 04 08

jaca (winter olympics) 98 02 06 2010

madrid 2012 2016

but barcelona still is recent istanbul has next to none

like in iran and pakistan in qatar, doha! there are no homosexuals ...

Article 201 of the 1971 Penal Code punishes sodomy between consenting adults (irrespective of sex) with up to five years imprisonment. Since the 1990s, there have been several reports of this law being enforced against non-citizens.[2]

In 1995 an American citizen visiting Qatar was sentenced to six months in prison and 90 lashes, for homosexual activity.[3] In the 1990s, Philippine Overseas Employment Administration informed Philippine workers that gay workers were prohibited in Qatar. This was in response to several mass arrests and deportations of Philippine workers in Qatar, for homosexuality.[4]

In 2002, protests arose concerning the new Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar. Human rights critics expressed concern that LGBT medical students might face trouble with the law for their sexual orientation.[5]

In 2010, upon Qatar being awarded the 2022 FIFA World Cup, Qatar's record on LGBT rights became a source of debate again, with gay rights groups criticizing FIFA for choosing to host the event in a country where homosexuality is illegal.[6] Richard de Mos, a member of the Dutch Parliament for the Freedom Party (PVV), has proposed that the Dutch football team play in pink, instead of the country's national color, orange, to protest the gay rights situation in Qatar. [7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Qatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

SILVER! you are obsessed with unemployment in Spain, in 2020 the crisis will be over!

And I say sending the games to Doha would be rewarding the most undeserving Olympic bidder in a long, long time. And I do have faith that the IOC majority wouldn't be tempted to touch them with a bargepole.

Sure not every host can be a powerhouse, but you do NEED some sports tradition and reason to believe the home crowd will get behind it all. A couple of bronze to hired mercenaries doesn't cut it.

I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY WITH THIS!

As far as I am concerned, Doha has zero chance of hosting in 2020 and zero chance of hosting for at least two decades. Their bid is a non-starter. Whether or not they are shortlisted is irrelevant. They will not win. IMO, this thread doesn't warrant even one more page.

like in iran and pakistan in qatar, doha! there are no homosexuals ...

Article 201 of the 1971 Penal Code punishes sodomy between consenting adults (irrespective of sex) with up to five years imprisonment. Since the 1990s, there have been several reports of this law being enforced against non-citizens.[2]

In 1995 an American citizen visiting Qatar was sentenced to six months in prison and 90 lashes, for homosexual activity.[3] In the 1990s, Philippine Overseas Employment Administration informed Philippine workers that gay workers were prohibited in Qatar. This was in response to several mass arrests and deportations of Philippine workers in Qatar, for homosexuality.[4]

In 2002, protests arose concerning the new Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar. Human rights critics expressed concern that LGBT medical students might face trouble with the law for their sexual orientation.[5]

In 2010, upon Qatar being awarded the 2022 FIFA World Cup, Qatar's record on LGBT rights became a source of debate again, with gay rights groups criticizing FIFA for choosing to host the event in a country where homosexuality is illegal.[6] Richard de Mos, a member of the Dutch Parliament for the Freedom Party (PVV), has proposed that the Dutch football team play in pink, instead of the country's national color, orange, to protest the gay rights situation in Qatar. [7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Qatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

SILVER! you are obsessed with unemployment in Spain, in 2020 the crisis will be over!

First of all, the first phrase is incorrect, there are homosexuals everywhere in the world including Qatar, Pakistan and Iran.

They will not arrest anyone just because their sexual prefrences is homosexuality, however if you actually go ahead and get some intercourse going on in public then obviously your asking for it. Not to mention that the majority of the "issues" that occured were due to prostitution, which cannot be tolerated.

In 2020 olympics (if Doha gets it) and 2022 world cup, if you get engaged in public sex (homosexual or not), get drunk in public (+driving), doing, buying or selling drugs (all of them) and prostitution... Your basically asking for trouble, so expect it.

In 2020 olympics (if Doha gets it) and 2022 world cup, if you get engaged in public sex (homosexual or not), get drunk in public (+driving), doing, buying or selling drugs (all of them) and prostitution... Your basically asking for trouble, so expect it.

this sounds like quite possibly the most boring olympics ever.

• no public sex.
  • no drinking in public.
  • no girls gone wild tapings outside the medal ceremonies.
  • no drinking and driving.
  • no buying or selling drugs.
  • no doing drugs.
  • no picking up rent boys to take to cafe bathrooms for 10 minute handjobs.

and who exactly do they expect to be attending these olympics?

i mean, i wasn't expecting a night at the roman baths from qatar, but are you saying i can't even get trashed on cheap beer at the badminton semis and then hook up with an over the hill german dude who keeps grazing the back of my head with his knee ever time he gets up out of his seat until we meet in the bathroom and he goes, do you want a cigarette and i say sure and we go back to his dodge rental car in the deserted parking lot and smoke bud and get filthy until he finishes up and i have to wipe off with a stack of mcdonald's napkins stained with ketchup?

um, thanks but no thanks.

can't we get a last minute entry from prague in the race?

^lmfao

Speaking of unemployment, the figure virtually doesn't exist in Qatar :P , it's as low as 0.02% !!!!!!!!!

well, when you virtually have no people in your country to speak, what can we expect. Still a heck of a lot of people working in Spain, Italy, Japan, etc, than in the puny speck of Qatar.

N its laughable reading some of these posts by other members, like Japan should be spending on the tsunami/earthquake than on an Olympics. The same could be said of the millions N millions that live in poverty in China N Brazil, but yet the former already spent mega billions on an Olympics N the latter is about to. So can we stop with the ''noble'' ideas of how countries should or shouldn't spend their money. Cuz it makes sense in a ''perfect world''. But guess what, we don't live in one.

this sounds like quite possibly the most boring olympics ever.

• no public sex.
  • no drinking in public.
  • no girls gone wild tapings outside the medal ceremonies.
  • no drinking and driving.
  • no buying or selling drugs.
  • no doing drugs.
  • no picking up rent boys to take to cafe bathrooms for 10 minute handjobs.

and who exactly do they expect to be attending these olympics?

i mean, i wasn't expecting a night at the roman baths from qatar, but are you saying i can't even get trashed on cheap beer at the badminton semis and then hook up with an over the hill german dude who keeps grazing the back of my head with his knee ever time he gets up out of his seat until we meet in the bathroom and he goes, do you want a cigarette and i say sure and we go back to his dodge rental car in the deserted parking lot and smoke bud and get filthy until he finishes up and i have to wipe off with a stack of mcdonald's napkins stained with ketchup?

um, thanks but no thanks.

can't we get a last minute entry from prague in the race?

i don't know what side your on haha

no drinking and driving? sounds like a great country

no drinking n public, that would lower glassings and so many other incidents, just going to step over the whole rents boy bathroom bit... and no drugs no selling no buying also sounds really great would save peoples lives... and public sex thats illegal here anyway :rolleyes:

i don't know what side your on haha

no drinking and driving? sounds like a great country

no drinking n public, that would lower glassings and so many other incidents, just going to step over the whole rents boy bathroom bit... and no drugs no selling no buying also sounds really great would save peoples lives... and public sex thats illegal here anyway :rolleyes:

i would like to take you out one night. we'll go drinking, and driving, and drinking and driving, and drinking in public, and then we'll do drugs and have public sex and probably run from the cops and have to scale a fence and almost fall in dog **** and almost get 'glassed' at a bar.

and then, after that, i would like for you to tell me all of that fun stuff should be outlawed and that no one should ever do any of that again and that a doha olympics would be worth attending.

because i don't think you've cracked so much as a smile in your life.

• 1 month later...

Wondering if anyone here thinks this might be a bit of a boost for Doha's chances ... at least of making the short list.

Kuwait Sheikh set to replace Vázquez Raña as head of ANOC

March 19 - Kuwait's Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah (pictured) is set to formally be put forward to take over as the new President of the Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) following the shock resignation last week of Mario Vázquez Raña, insidethegames understands.

The decision was taken following a meeting of senior ANOC officials in Bangkok at the weekend, which had originally been called to discuss how to force Vázquez Raña out.

But it instead had to address who should replace him following the Mexican's decision to step down from most of his roles within the Olympic Movement, including as head of ANOC, a position he had held since 1979.

In his resignation press statement, Vázquez Raña had claimed Sheikh Ahmad had been behind a plot to depose him.

But at the summit in Bangkok there was universal support for Sheikh Ahmad, the 50-year-old President of the Olympic Council of Asia, to take over from Vázquez Raña on an interim basis until the ANOC General Assembly, which is due take place in Moscow between April 11 and 17.

more: Insidethegames

I doubt it. Just like Europe, Asia, the Americas etc. are not homogeneous groups, the Arab and Muslim world as a whole is not homogeneous. Qatar and Kuwait are friendly, but by no means close. Kuwait is logistically in a much better position to host an Olympics then Qatar. Though the weather is even more extreme.

• 3 weeks later...

Now tha tQater willsend women to London 2012, I fully support Doha's bid, since I think they are going to boost women sport in the Middle East.

*that Qatar

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very happy they're sending woman but what seems like the major problem besides weather is lack of medals. I'd love a middle East olympics on iPod and can't be bothered researching which middle East country wins no medals but Qatar has only won 3 medals which is nothing even azerbajan has won more, and I don't think they will improve alot unless they send hundreds of athletes which they dont. I do wish they win some this year though

I'd love a middle east olympics. I'm on my iPod*** not I want a middle east olympics on my iPod haha

Stupid iPod. Which middle eastern country gets more medals not no medals -_-

Qatar has only won 3 medals which is nothing even azerbajan has won more

I think this is due to big investments in sports and strong schools in some kind of sports. Azerbaijan is taking part in Olympics since 1992 and we already have all kinds of medals, for instance only at Beijing 2008 we got 7 medals (1 gold, 2 silver, 4 bronze). For London we already have 50 olympic licences and it is still more to come :)

Archived