Doha's chances

and if it comes to the money part, remember the sponsor are the biggest money bank of IOC and Turkish and Japanese ceos have the key positions of these companies like Muhtar Kent Ceo of Coca Cola... and some other in Philips, Johnson&Johnson , and others Unilever, Microsoft, UPS, Philips....

Money talks.. but in many ways:)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give it a rest, your argument is invalid. I posted more than enough substantial evidence or how gender equality has been achieved in Qatar and its continuing to be better and better. :rolleyes:

Do you really think so? Ariane Friedrich, european champion and bronze-medalist i Berlin 2009, wasn't allowed to train at ASPIRE because of her gender. Can you call that gender equality? I don't think so.

http://www.spiegel.d...,791666,00.html (Sorry, it's in German. I couldn't find one in English.)

Do you really think so? Ariane Friedrich, european champion and bronze-medalist i Berlin 2009, wasn't allowed to train at ASPIRE because of her gender. Can you call that gender equality? I don't think so.

http://www.spiegel.d...,791666,00.html (Sorry, it's in German. I couldn't find one in English.)

Thank you! Your first reputation point.

I personally will stop watching the Olympics and following them if Doha wins 2020.

So London 2012 could be my last Olympic event.

Thank you! Your first reputation point.

I personally will stop watching the Olympics and following them if Doha wins 2020.

So London 2012 could be my last Olympic event.

what about Rio 2016? Those Olympics will be complete partyyy!

*Even though is too expensive to travel to South America :lol: even more expensive than Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

Qatar has had it's issues with women's rights, which is a regional issue due to the culture of that part of the world. It does need to be addressed but at the same time I fully agree that Qatar is making progress. However let us not sit on the High Horse that the IOC above awarding a country an Olympic games because of rights issues. China has one of the worst Human Rights records in the world and won the 2008 olympic games in the second round of voting. even the work force to create the venues were payed a mere pittance for long hours of work. How anyone after Beijing can say another country wouldn't get the right to host the Games based on rights is completely unaware of the IOC.

Sporting Tradition can no longer be a criteria for the Games especially when the push is to bring the Games to the WORLD. You will eventually start reusing old hosts if you just go on sporting Tradition. What I feel is more important is Hosting Tradition. What is your hosting resume? wHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH big time events. Doha has hosted a lot of considerably large events so it puts it on par with the others.

Yes Doha bought the World Cup. but with the 2020 games and no front runners Doha's money might be just the ticket the Ioc needs to reasure the success of the games seeing the poor econmies of other bids.

I think right now people are just bitter that Doha bought the 2018 World cup that they are blind to the realities of the 2020 race.

Rome and madrid have no money. Tokyo has their own disaster on their hands. Istanbul is going through some regional issues in it's efforts to assert itself as a powerhouse and Baku is not at this time in the same league as the other five to be considered a threat.

I say send the games to Doha. They'll be all too happy to foot the bill and they will put on a spectacle that we won't have seen since Beijing.

And I say sending the games to Doha would be rewarding the most undeserving Olympic bidder in a long, long time. And I do have faith that the IOC majority wouldn't be tempted to touch them with a bargepole.

Sporting Tradition can no longer be a criteria for the Games especially when the push is to bring the Games to the WORLD. You will eventually start reusing old hosts if you just go on sporting Tradition. What I feel is more important is Hosting Tradition. What is your hosting resume? wHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH big time events. Doha has hosted a lot of considerably large events so it puts it on par with the others.

Sure not every host can be a powerhouse, but you do NEED some sports tradition and reason to believe the home crowd will get behind it all. A couple of bronze to hired mercenaries doesn't cut it.

It's really annoying me that Doha's lack of medal wins is affecting the bid, so what, if it was up to the medal winners by country thered only be a short amount of countries to host it

Yes Doha has Several problems like every city

However those problems in my opinion arent as problematic as some of the other bidding cities

Lets see

Baku, no past hosting expirience (people keep saying Doha has had none, but they've had asian, pan arab, afc asian cup, fifa world cup

Rome, i'm so tire dof saying this everywhere, huge economic troubles, country might even cancel the bid by friday

Madrid basically the same also part of PIIGS, huge money troubles

Tokyo, had a huge disaster that killed 70000 people should be spending money on that

Istanbul is the one i like, not as many huge problems as the others

but as i have shown the others have HUGE problems.

If we are going to talk about risks for olympics wasn't it risky for seoul? South Korea wasn't a huge medal winner in past olympics yet they still won (there first huge year was 1984, that was after the host decision however) Obvious risks to North Korea at that time aswell.

China, huge poor human rights record, huge population, millions of people in poverty, yet they were awarded, yeah they were a big country and had the capacity but it sure wasnt free of problems, the fog problem, i sure remember the headlines.

Doha has the money, has the capacity, has the past hosting experience

Madrid and Rome dont have the money.

Tokyo might but unsure of IOC awarding to them with the disasters recently

Baku, even a less likely option then Doha

Istanbul not as flawed

I'm tired sorry if that didnt make sense but my point is

Madrid, Rome and Baku aren't an option

Which really leaves Doha, Istanbul or Tokyo

And I say sending the games to Doha would be rewarding the most undeserving Olympic bidder in a long, long time. And I do have faith that the IOC majority wouldn't be tempted to touch them with a bargepole.

Sure not every host can be a powerhouse, but you do NEED some sports tradition and reason to believe the home crowd will get behind it all. A couple of bronze to hired mercenaries doesn't cut it.

Rome and Madrid don't have the money to host it

Baku has less sports tradition

I have no idea what past sporting history Istanbul has, they only win around 8 medals each olympics which is pretty low aswell.

Tokyo yes they are competition

Which leaves Doha who has the money and past sporting expirience, yes lack of medal expirience but compared to the other "serious bidding competitors" Doha is in the lead

Qatar has had it's issues with women's rights, which is a regional issue due to the culture of that part of the world. It does need to be addressed but at the same time I fully agree that Qatar is making progress. However let us not sit on the High Horse that the IOC above awarding a country an Olympic games because of rights issues. China has one of the worst Human Rights records in the world and won the 2008 olympic games in the second round of voting. even the work force to create the venues were payed a mere pittance for long hours of work. How anyone after Beijing can say another country wouldn't get the right to host the Games based on rights is completely unaware of the IOC.

Yes Doha bought the World Cup. but with the 2020 games and no front runners Doha's money might be just the ticket the Ioc needs to reasure the success of the games seeing the poor econmies of other bids.

I think right now people are just bitter that Doha bought the 2018 World cup that they are blind to the realities of the 2020 race.

Rome and madrid have no money. Tokyo has their own disaster on their hands. Istanbul is going through some regional issues in it's efforts to assert itself as a powerhouse and Baku is not at this time in the same league as the other five to be considered a threat.

I say send the games to Doha. They'll be all too happy to foot the bill and they will put on a spectacle that we won't have seen since Beijing.

Qatar is not China. Not in terms of population (Qatar is what, 0.1% of China's pop?) nor in terms of sporting prowess (again what, 0.5% of medals?) Qatar is not Japan, which was the world's 2nd largest economy when they got the Tokyo and Sapporo games. Qatar is not even Brazil, a pop of over 100 million. For countries like China, human rights take a back seat with the IOC. Right or not, it is what it is. For countries like Japan with no winter tradition when they were awarded Sapporo, sporting tradition matters less.

Rome and Madrid with all its economic troubles would be obvious better choices. If they drop out, Tokyo could stage a great games. They can afford an Olympics with or without the earthquake disaster. If the IOC wants a new frontier, Istanbul can do a great job of representing their region. Unless all 4 drop out, I just don't see how Doha can compete in any way except with money.

If we are going to talk about risks for olympics wasn't it risky for seoul? South Korea wasn't a huge medal winner in past olympics yet they still won (there first huge year was 1984, that was after the host decision however) Obvious risks to North Korea at that time aswell.

Seoul only had to compete with Nagoya, a second/third rate city at a time when no one wanted the Games. I think Australia was considering a bid for 1988. Had they bid, Korea might never have hosted the Summer Games to date.

If the only competition Doha has is Baku, then I would support Doha. But unlike Seoul, Doha has stiff and better competition.

I have no idea what past sporting history Istanbul has, they only win around 8 medals each olympics which is pretty low aswell.

Which leaves Doha who has the money and past sporting expirience, yes lack of medal expirience but compared to the other "serious bidding competitors" Doha is in the lead

turkey is in a higer position than greece brazil in medal count list. also starting from 2000s, Fıba world chmp, F1, redbull race, champ. league final, euro league final, wta sony ericsson tournament and after 2011 champ., euro volleyball mens camp, Tour of Turkey, eurasian marathon, world wrestling champ, euro aquatics champ, european cups ( athletics), Iaaf world indoor champ, chess olympics euro short course swimming champ, etc.... and more i cant remember yet. 2 universiades , 2 mediterenean games, black sea games and euro youth summer olympics fest. also hosted in turkey.

azerbaijan has a very old and strong sports background, they already had 20 medals in 4 games while doha have 2 bronzes and racing at asian continent which is a playground comparing euro qualifications.

Qatar is not China. Not in terms of population (Qatar is what, 0.1% of China's pop?) nor in terms of sporting prowess (again what, 0.5% of medals?) Qatar is not Japan, which was the world's 2nd largest economy when they got the Tokyo and Sapporo games. Qatar is not even Brazil, a pop of over 100 million. For countries like China, human rights take a back seat with the IOC. Right or not, it is what it is. For countries like Japan with no winter tradition when they were awarded Sapporo, sporting tradition matters less.

I've explained this several times in the GB newswire thread about Doha. But yet they incessantly keep making that simple black-&-white comparison with China.

China, again, is home to 1/5 of humanity, & with a much greater sporting prowess than Qatar. If some people still fail to see that there's just simply, absolutely NO comparison between the two, then they are the ones that are "completely unware of the IOC".

Seoul only had to compete with Nagoya, a second/third rate city at a time when no one wanted the Games. I think Australia was considering a bid for 1988. Had they bid, Korea might never have hosted the Summer Games to date.

If the only competition Doha has is Baku, then I would support Doha. But unlike Seoul, Doha has stiff and better competition.

Precisely. The IOC can only go with what's made available to them.

Fair enough, obviously you're excited and inspired by the idea of Doha hosting. But I think that's leading you to overstate its chances, and understate its liabilities and it's oppositions' advantages.

Sure, it could do it, but I just can't see any way it's anything but a long shot. Granted, I thought the same way about its chances for the 2022 WC, and I still think that decision is just bizarre.

turkey is in a higer position than greece brazil in medal count list.

Well, Athens got it 'cause they had a guilty conscience at IOC (...maybe this could improve Rome 2020?) and Rio was chosen since in the final round was the decision whether to choose Madrid or Rio and maybe they didn't want to award two games in a row to Europe.

Well, Athens got it 'cause they had a guilty conscience at IOC (...maybe this could improve Rome 2020?) and Rio was chosen since in the final round was the decision whether to choose Madrid or Rio and maybe they didn't want to award two games in a row to Europe.

i mean the gold medals won by country, decision for hosting is st else. since 92 barcelona and 88 seoul, spaina nd korea are not a powerhouse of sports after the olympics they began to won more medals. especially spain won more medals, they used to win in previous games. im sure turkey can be in top 5 if 2020 will be in istanbul. cause we r good at many sport branchs but cant get through the continental qualifications like basketball and volleyball at last minute.

Rome and Madrid with all its economic troubles would be obvious better choices. If they drop out, Tokyo could stage a great games. They can afford an Olympics with or without the earthquake disaster. If the IOC wants a new frontier, Istanbul can do a great job of representing their region. Unless all 4 drop out, I just don't see how Doha can compete in any way except with money.

So much I find wrong with this statement but I will pick out the two glaring issues.

You cannot say oh because China has a larger pop that there Human Rights record is less of an issue than in Qatar with a smaller pop. If we are going to be real as soon as you say the name China you instantly think about their human rights record and that's just more common knowledge than anything. if you tell anyone about Qatar I admit that they probably won't know anything about them but assume they have money, rightfully so. Qatar's record is in no way near as infamous as China's. The IOC will not make themselves a public hypocrite by basing their decision to not award the games to Qatar on that issue seeing how easily they overlooked China.

Secondly "Unless all 4 drop out, I just don't see how Doha can compete in any way except with money"

To that I say in this cycle, that's the only way you need to compete.

It's not like South Africa is here and you need to trump the emotional plea. it's not like the US is here and you need to trump their strong infrastructure. Doha is going up agains two poor european cities, a weakened Japan and a commendable Istanbul. Money in this cycle is all you need to convince the IOC.

I know that. But winning many medals can have a positive effect on Olympic bids and we're talking about bids, aren't we?

yeap and now comparing Qatar with turkey spain italy and Tokyo is ridicolous , even azerbaijan is much more good at sports.

giving the olympics to a country wit NO medals NO sporting success NO sports legacy but just for the money, is daggering the whole Olympic spirit.

Azerbaijan is a great country with sports tradidtion but the 2020 is still to soon niw Baku is being showcased but is unkown for many... Maybe winning a YOG bid will help more, cuz Baku is a good option....

Doha is also too soon, they are globably known for the 2022 WC but there's no sports tradition in Qatar at least Qatar wins a lot of medals in London *pretty unlikelly* they will still been seen as a sports underdog...

So much I find wrong with this statement but I will pick out the two glaring issues.

You cannot say oh because China has a larger pop that there Human Rights record is less of an issue than in Qatar with a smaller pop. If we are going to be real as soon as you say the name China you instantly think about their human rights record and that's just more common knowledge than anything. if you tell anyone about Qatar I admit that they probably won't know anything about them but assume they have money, rightfully so. Qatar's record is in no way near as infamous as China's. The IOC will not make themselves a public hypocrite by basing their decision to not award the games to Qatar on that issue seeing how easily they overlooked China.

Secondly "Unless all 4 drop out, I just don't see how Doha can compete in any way except with money"

To that I say in this cycle, that's the only way you need to compete.

It's not like South Africa is here and you need to trump the emotional plea. it's not like the US is here and you need to trump their strong infrastructure. Doha is going up agains two poor european cities, a weakened Japan and a commendable Istanbul. Money in this cycle is all you need to convince the IOC.

But China's human rights record IS less of an issue than it is for Qatar. China's poor human rights record doesn't discriminate between race or sex. They discriminate against almost all their citizens. Qatar on the other hand is perceived as a country that discriminates against women (and even arguably against race, with their foreign workers). It's not for me to decide the truth of that, but matters like having no women ever compete in the Games is going to alienate some of the female IOC members. China never had to deal with that. And this is not to mention that the Chinese market brings enormous benefits to the IOC that Qatar never could offer.

And I think you're underestimating Japan's capabilities to recover from that earthquake.

Archived