PM Backs NZ Bid

Sir Rols

PM backs Commonwealth bid 'option'

The Rugby World Cup has proven New Zealand could host a "world class" Commonwealth Games, if the country chose to bid for the event in the future, John Key says.

The Prime Minister's comments come after Rugby World Cup Minister Murray McCully said New Zealand could host the World Cup again in the future.

It has frequently been said this year's tournament would be the country's last opportunity to host the event, however Mr McCully told the Sunday Star Times New Zealand could have "another shot".

"I think New Zealanders have demonstrated we are up for this competition - that we can handle large numbers - so I hope one of the things we do after this tournament is to give ourselves the confidence to have another shot," he told the paper.

Mr Key this morning backed that view.

"We're doing a marvellous job as a country of hosting the Rugby World Cup, proving that this is truly is the stadium of four million people and ... we can host these very large events," he told Newstalk ZB.

While he said there were no plans in the pipeline to bid for another World Cup or a Commonwealth Games, "there are always options available for New Zealand".

"I think what the Rugby World Cup is proving is that if we did bid for a Commonwealth Games we could produce a very good world class and thoroughly enjoyable event."

New Zealand last held the Commonwealth Games in 1990 in Auckland.

NZ Herald

So much for "we have to host the WC now ... we can never do it again and we're too small to host anything ever in the future."

<_<

There was never any reason why it should have been now or never for New Zealand given their stature in world rugby. However, what this tournament should do is give confidence to other smaller nations to go for events. How many times have we seen cities and countries build big arenas they don't need? New Zealand haven't and that is to their credit.

Well hey, every other country does it, might as well get on the bandwagon. Although in fairness to them it wasn't so long ago that one of the top IRB officials said that the Cup wouldn't be back in NZ for a very very long time, and the pure fact that from the start of the bid everyone put it out there that the tournament was going to run at a loss, I guess it's pretty easy to understand how the undertaking of another was for some off in lala land.

It's a really frustrating article though, if Auckland 2018 was approved by the government, they'd have had a damn good chance of winning those Games imo. The Goldie bid is a good one and Im gunning for them, but surely if an equally good bid from another nation put their hands up - it would have had a mighty crack. Still done and dusted now. The NZ Olympic team facebook page for the first time has also mentioned (in a question) how people feel about the notion of a Summer YOG. First time I've heard that mentioned from NZ by an official organisation or govt agency.

I've always thought the RWC was so big that it seemed others just couldn't get past it and look towards future events - what after the World Cup? It's obvious from the way the country has reacted and rom the 200k plus who swamped the waterfront on opening night, that the quiet majority do like to have a party every so often. Sure there is a co hosting of the CWC and the FIFA tournament coming up , but imo, nothing gets the pride going than a good single city multi sport event.

It's a really frustrating article though, if Auckland 2018 was approved by the government, they'd have had a damn good chance of winning those Games imo.

Damn right they would have - and I would have backed them ahead of the Gold Coast for sure.

So, I just notice you're back in NZ Matty! Glad to be home, or missing travelling already?

*sigh* missing travelling already. Beautiful weather back here, but I could've done with a few more days in New York. Ahh well, I guess I just have to start planning the next one now.

Back to work tonight, no rest for the wicked.

I know some people are against the Commonwealth Games, but the still send a flutter in my heart.

New Zealand vs South Africa and Abuja for 2022? Shaping up as a good race.

Who said Abuja's in the race for 2022? As far as I'm aware, they're (supposedly) focussed on the 2018 YOGs. The only expressions of interest I've seen for 2022 so far is South Africa and Cardiff.

And no way NZ would bid (much less win) if GC gets 2018.

Totally agree, if south Africa and Wales do bid then there is no way that the CGF would award the games to NZ and have two games in the pacific, When they can take the games to africa for the first time. More likely 2026. And even then if competition comes from Canada or the UK then even that would be a struggle. The country wide RWC is so different to a Auckland centered CWG

In general I'd agree , but I guess it would be a case of stacking up who potential opponents are.

We are in a situation where the favourite of the current bid cycle is coming from Australia , opposing a bid from Sri Lanka. If the Commonwealth Games Federation is supposedly comfortable with awarding the Games to a country who last held the Games just 12 years prior (over a new host), then anything is possible really.

South Africa has been bidding for the Commonwealth Games for many a cycle and are yet to make an official appearance. Nothing wrong with that, public talk and discussion is great, but the bids have to happen first (and that goes for any potential Auckland Games bid).

I think Auckland would be up to the task, it has a wealth of sporting arena available. (Eden Park, Mt Smart Stadium, North Harbour Stadium, Vector Arena, Trusts Arena, North Shore Events Centre, Pacific Events Centre, Aotea Centre, New Skycity Convention Centre etc etc

One step though would be to quit with the ridiculous decision to give the national cycling centre to Cambridge.

Still, even as a National supporter, I really don't quite understand McCully's change of heart, bit late now Muz.

hmmm. wonder what the chances are of having the rail tunnel by then are, maybe even our light rail system in the CBD>

Would be great if this sudden change of heart extended to Minister Joyce and his orgasmic obsession with roads.

Who said Abuja's in the race for 2022? As far as I'm aware, they're (supposedly) focussed on the 2018 YOGs. The only expressions of interest I've seen for 2022 so far is South Africa and Cardiff.

Completely ignored 2018. Stupid me. Off course New Zealand stands no chance for 2022. Abuja is pure spec at this point.

Abuja is pure spec at this point.

Even if they did enter, I can't see them beating Durban. South Africa stepped back from bidding for 2014 and 2018 to give Nigeria a chance, and made it clear they wouldn't be doing so again.

If Durban do go ahead, as they said they would, and go for 2022, there may be a bit of jostling for hostings after that. I'd expect Wales or somewhere else in the UK to come out for 2026 and Canada has its heart set on the centenary in 2030. And that's before any "exotic" bids- say, Sri Lanka or Singapore, come into calculations. 2034 might be the earliest it comes back to Oceania.

:angry: Unless it's Christchurch hosting the CWGs...NO!!! NZ lost it's chance two years ago. A CWGs will not be avaliable untill the 30's at least.

IAAF World Track And Field Champs instead! Or the FIFA Womens WC.

We'd have to build a Hambantota style of facility (which would make the likes of Rols really happy) and the only place to do that would be Christchurch as part of a rebuilding program!

Auckland has proven that it can't cope with an Olympics just yet,maybee in 2040.

If NZ wants to host something big, be it something the Whole World has a chance to show up...even the Winter Olympics would be worth more to NZ.

Yup.

FIFA event will have its positives no doubt, but, ask Kiwis the last time they paid attention to the same tournament held elsewhere around the world. Its just a bone to throw to the rest of the world who can't host the big boys tournament.

Cricket World Cup will be great, but it's only co-hosted and I do worry that Australia will get the grazy and we'll get the slop. Would be very surprised if NZ managed to get either the opening or final.

I guess Im one of the people who still enjoy the Commonwealth Games and would look forward of the prospect of hosting again, its one of those things that I just have to agree to disagree with many people on the issue though.

You would think so, but I wouldn't be so sure. Final would be nice, after Oz hosted the final of the last co-hosted event, but that's never going to happen.

I guess there are a number of pet projects that could be looked in to.

I have mixed feelings on the YOG. On one hand, I wonder if it's a good idea to put that much money into an event where the competitors are almost complete unknowns, but on the other hand, it's still the Olympic brand.

Even if they did enter, I can't see them beating Durban. South Africa stepped back from bidding for 2014 and 2018 to give Nigeria a chance, and made it clear they wouldn't be doing so again.

If Durban do go ahead, as they said they would, and go for 2022, there may be a bit of jostling for hostings after that. I'd expect Wales or somewhere else in the UK to come out for 2026 and Canada has its heart set on the centenary in 2030. And that's before any "exotic" bids- say, Sri Lanka or Singapore, come into calculations. 2034 might be the earliest it comes back to Oceania.

2030 is really interesting at this point.

Edmonton is likely to get a Universiade and Toronto is likely to bid for 2024. With the government having only 2 major events per decade policy it will be tough to decide. Obviously the Universiade should be dropped but thats a different story.

2022? Durban

2026? I can't see Wales winning so I say Birmingham.

2030? Hamilton?

You would think so, but I wouldn't be so sure. Final would be nice, after Oz hosted the final of the last co-hosted event, but that's never going to happen.

I guess much will depend on the format of the tournament, but I can't see the final being anywhere other than at the MCG.

2030 is really interesting at this point.

Edmonton is likely to get a Universiade and Toronto is likely to bid for 2024. With the government having only 2 major events per decade policy it will be tough to decide. Obviously the Universiade should be dropped but thats a different story.

2022? Durban

2026? I can't see Wales winning so I say Birmingham.

2030? Hamilton?

If we are right to assume that the UK would be in the frame to host 2026 or 2030, then I reckon the most likely host other than London (which seems to me to have a nice ring about it for the centenary) would be Cardiff because it's been to England and Scotland most recently.

:mellow: The time-frame our Prime Minister was thinking is around the late teens to mid twenties...If we're talking up to the 2030's then it's Rugby World Cup time again.

There really isn't alot to choose from and we have got to remember that a CWG is for ONE city, unless the Federation wishes to change the format of the games...I doubt it.

Auckland hosting again would raise the ire of the nation, especially Canterbury as they would rightfully feel entitled since missing out on RWC2011. Also most NZers remember Christchurch 1974 as NZs best CWGs. Auckland 1990 is mearly a footnote in NZ Sport history.

Auckland's ability in terms of future events is not the real issue. It depends on leadership and mindset.

New, younger or different leadership could propel NZ into different directions and see events in a different light.

There are several events Auckland could bid for.

Auckland's ability in terms of future events is not the real issue. It depends on leadership and mindset.

New, younger or different leadership could propel NZ into different directions and see events in a different light.

There are several events Auckland could bid for.

I'm not entirely sure about central government, but Len Brown (Mayor of Auckland) does seem to be the visionary. Many commentators do seem to be putting him up there with Sir Dove Myer Robinson who is always pointed at as being Auckland's greatest mayor. Ironically, if not for political conservative cronies Sir Dove would have delivered Auckland a light rapid rail system in the 1970s, nothing every really changes I guess.

Whenever, and if, Auckland decides to go for another Commonwealth Games I really do think they can take a page out of the Rugby World Cup mode and use the card of a vote for Auckland being a vote for a games in the heart of Polynesia.

We've already seen a Fiji Samoa match at this cup with a capacity 60k crowd, where else would you get that.

Just puts a slightly different angle I guess, and every bid needs something like that.

For a while now Auckland has been positioning itself as the first city of the Pacific, seems like another good step in that direction.

:angry: Unless it's Christchurch hosting the CWGs...NO!!! NZ lost it's chance two years ago. A CWGs will not be avaliable untill the 30's at least.

IAAF World Track And Field Champs instead! Or the FIFA Womens WC.

Auckland has proven that it can't cope with an Olympics just yet,maybee in 2040.

If NZ wants to host something big, be it something the Whole World has a chance to show up...even the Winter Olympics would be worth more to NZ.

A Winter Olympics, as much as I'd love and have championed the notion here since I started posting on Gbids, just isn't feasible in the immediate term in NZ. But, at the risk of sounding like a cracked record, a Winter YOGs just might perhaps be not only feasible but winnable, and would help set up the foundations for a future senior WOGs tilt. If nothing else, a Winter YOGs might kindle enthusiasm for reaching higher in the future, and help build some support and participation in winter sports.

As to other events, I think you've got to really be a cricket fan, or at least a cricketing nation, to even know the Cricket WC exists. Even then, it's a bit of a yawn for me even in Oz. An IRB WC is a bit more prestigious, but you're hosting yours now. NZ will get one again in future, but probably looking at the 2030s or 2040s.

FIFA Women's WC? Why? It's about a fifth-tier event in interest at best. Maybe sorta nice at the time, but totally forgettable. An IAAF WC, or a FINA WC or Pan-Pac's would be far more worthwhile.

The CWGs might annoy the likes of you, Alex (though you still seem to spend more time following CWGs discussion than any other event), yet it's still about the biggest second-tier event, up there with the Asiads, that you could realistically aim for – and have a great chance of landing again. It'd be nice to see Wellington revive interest in bidding for it again.

And I'm with Matty - I still get more of a kick watching the CWGs than anything else outside the Olympics - even the WOGs. There's still life in the old Empire Games yet!

Archived