Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gotosy

Next China SOG...

Doha, Dubai, Delhi or Singapore deserved being the next asian host

I say none deserve to on overall merit, but all four do have the capability (maybe not Singapore) to host.

Again, like the PersArabian Gulf areas, Southeast Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam.) does NOT have the most optimum climate for a July-Sept Olympic Games. That preferred window is both HOT and typhoon-prone. That is why the Asian Games or SEA Games are held in early December in that region. That would also pretty much kill another Delhi Olympic dream. In Asia, really, it's only the northeastern corner (i.e., Korea, Japan, Mongolia, NE China) that has the kindest weather for the preferred July-August window.

Korea doesn't have the best weather around that time either. July and a bit of August is monsoon season in Korea too. That's why they had the World Cup in June, and probably why they had the Summer Olympics in September.

But that's besides the point. Southeast Asia would be a new region for the IOC, so if one of them became capable of hosting, I could see the argument of making an exception for them.

I say none deserve to on overall merit, but all four do have the capability (maybe not Singapore) to host.

Who gave me the minus? It is the truth.

Of course they arent sport powerhouses but are diffrent from the same China, Japan, Korea. Why not? Singapore hosted the YOG I thik they just need more improvements in infrastructure

Of course they arent sport powerhouses but are diffrent from the same China, Japan, Korea. Why not? Singapore hosted the YOG I thik they just need more improvements in infrastructure

Because how can they justify more stadiums being built? I don't think they have the space either. Not sure though. Although I would love Singapore to bid.

Because how can they justify more stadiums being built? I don't think they have the space either. Not sure though. Although I would love Singapore to bid.

Singapore's got plenty of space - about three quarters of the island is still undeveloped.

Personally, I think Singapore would be the best equipped of the SE Asians to host (well, it's probably a toss-up with KL). The question is desire - they've never really seemdd to have much ambition before the YOGs.

It's a matter of scale again. Singapore is only 268 sqm. and has only 5 million people. Granted that is larger than Doha but only about half of Greece's population, that would still not be viable. If it was 1952 when Helsinki hosted, yeah, Singapore might be on a similar scale, but again, it wouldn't have the base to buy all the tie-in merchandise and sponsors' products, etc., needed to finance today's OGs. One can't force such a small populace to buy tons of tickets just to fill the stadia with events and nations they wouldn't care about. It won't be a sustainable Games.

Hong Kong could be an option especially if the new stadium they are planning comes in at over 60,000 seats.

Singapore Sports Hub is only 55,000 seats so the capacity is at least 5,000 seats short

Hong Kong could be an option especially if the new stadium they are planning comes in at over 60,000 seats.

Except HK has it's own NOC - so it wouldn't officially be a "China" games. Like if San Juan's quixotic bid had got somewhere, it would have been a Puerto Rico, rather than a US, games.

Anyway, China has plenty of its "own" metropoli to choose from next time it tries a tilt for the SOGs. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Shanghai, or at a pinch Guangzhou.

I'd be shocked if it was anywhere other than Shanghai. I expect to see Chinese Winter Games in Harbin before more Summer Games, though.

Interesting reaction from Shanghai over Rogge "20 year" statement to China:

China to get another Olympics no sooner than 2028!

China's hopes of hosting another Olympics any time soon will have to be iced, as International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge announced that a wait of at least 20 years after the 2008 Beijing Olympics will be required before another Olympics happens on the mainland.

Why the long wait? The policy is apparently in place to give other countries a fair chance, with Rogge declaring that the Olympics "belongs to all of mankind," and that the IOC hopes "every part of the world can have the opportunity to enjoy hosting such a glorious and grand occasion."

Rogge also stated that the 20 year wait might in fact be the shortest amount of time allowed before China hosts another Olympiad. That would certainly explain the quashed rumor of a 2028 Olympics happening in Shanghai.

To back his argument, Rogge used the case of London as an example: "London organized its first Games in 1908, its second in 1948 and now the third one in 2012. There had to be first 40 years of waiting and then 64 years of waiting."

You'd think that Rogge would know his Olympic history better. We'd kindly like to point out that the United States hosted two Olympics in the span of only 12 years - 1984 in Los Angeles and 1996 in Atlanta, and that's not even counting the Winter Olympics (1980 Lake Placid, 2002 Salt Lake City)! We predict it won't be long before enraged remarks come from outraged netizens, if they haven't started popping up already.

Also, football/soccer fans hoping for a Chinese World Cup will also have to sit tight for two or three decades. Due to FIFA's host selection process, countries from the same football confederations are not allowed to host consecutive World Cups. And since Qatar is part of the Asian Football Confederation and host of the 2022 World Cup, China would only be able to play host in 2030 at the earliest.

What's more? Despite Russia being geographically part of Asia, its membership in UEFA means that it's able to host the 2018 World Cup. Absolutely mind-boggling.

Shanghaiist

Sounds like they're really searching for something to host soon!

Well, it's seems only logical at this point that China, well likely, would have to wait at least 20 years for another Olympics. The 2020 application deadline has already come & gone & no China in there. So that leaves 2024 open 'til 2028. And perhaps Rogge, & the rest of the IOC, would rather go to Africa (or somewhere else in Asia) first before returning to China again.

I still think it will be Harbin around 2030 followed by Shanghai in 2040 or so.

The Chinese seem unaware that the frequent US hosting was due largely to the fact that the bids were met with weak or non-existent competition.