Next China SOG...

gotosy

China must wait 20 years for another Games-Rogge

(Reuters) - China will have to wait for another two decades, if not longer, before hosting another Olympic Games to give other nations a fair chance, International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge told the official Xinhua news agency on Thursday.

Beijing hosted a successful 2008 summer Olympics, the country's first, though the run-up was marred by wrangling over human rights issues and violent unrest in Tibet.

Rogge said many other Chinese cities, including Shanghai and Guangzhou, all had the ability to host the Olympics.

"But at the very least (China) will have to wait 20 years or longer," Xinhua quoted him saying in a Chinese language story.

"The Olympics belongs to all of mankind, and the IOC hopes that every part of the world can have the opportunity to enjoy hosting such a glorious and grand occasion," he added in an interview with the state-run agency.

Guangzhou hosted the Asian Games last year and Shanghai the World Expo, spending billions of dollars on new venues and infrastructure projects and showing off China's capacity to put on large-scale events with the minimum of fuss.

Reuters

Yeah, very intersting. I notice Rogge puts the time span as 20 years from the 2088 Beijing Games. You could say it's almost as much encouragement for them to put up, say, Shanghai, for the 2028 games, as much as discouragement from bidding earlier.

And I wonder if he's just talking SOGs - if so, then, how would a potential Harbin WOG bid would fit into Rogge's time span?

And does it also mean we can assume a "20 Year Rule" for repeat hostings by all contenders for now on?

Well the only host I can see in that region would be Tokyo so its not a far strech to think they can host in 2028.

Add the likes of Osaka, Shanghai, Guangzhou to that - I think all are just as likely, if not even more likely, to host as much as Tokyo. There's certainly no reserved sign for the region limited to Tokyo!

Add the likes of Osaka, Shanghai, Guangzhou to that - I think all are just as likely, if not even more likely, to host as much as Tokyo. There's certainly no reserved sign for the region limited to Tokyo!

Well in that region (East Asia) realistically only three nations have the capability to host Japan (off course with Tokyo), Korea and China.

Korea is out cuz of 2018. That leaves China vs Tokyo for the next Summer Games in Asia wouldn't you think>

Korea is out cuz of 2018. That leaves China vs Tokyo for the next Summer Games in Asia wouldn't you think>

Apart from the fact that, personally, I'd prefer to see Osaka than Tokyo again, you actually didn't mention China before. You said Tokyo was the only one you could see hosting in the region. IMO, Shanghai is just a matter of time.

China should be focusing on a Winter Olympics. Korea just got theirs, Japan is focusing on a Summer Olympics. The next Winter Olympics in Asia is almost certain to land in China. I know they're trying to position themselves as the world's next super power, but they just spent what, $40 billion on Beijing 2008? Is it even worth trying to top that so soon after?

China should be focusing on a Winter Olympics. Korea just got theirs, Japan is focusing on a Summer Olympics. The next Winter Olympics in Asia is almost certain to land in China. I know they're trying to position themselves as the world's next super power, but they just spent what, $40 billion on Beijing 2008? Is it even worth trying to top that so soon after?

I think (like most countries - at least the ones that aren't winter sports powerhouses), if they had their druthers, China would prefer a SOGs again rather than a WOGs. It's not like they hot ken to push harbin for 2018, when many expected it to join in.

Too soon? I think they're reaching the point where they'll be the next USA - understandably hosting more often than many other countries. Anyway, a lot of people here don't even remember Sydney any more - by 2028 there'll be another generation who won't recall Beijing like it was just yesterday.

Apart from the fact that, personally, I'd prefer to see Osaka than Tokyo again, you actually didn't mention China before. You said Tokyo was the only one you could see hosting in the region. IMO, Shanghai is just a matter of time.

Your right my sentence doesn't make any sense, "Well the only host I can see in that region would be Tokyo so its not a far strech to think they can host in 2028." The they is supposed to be China.

I think (like most countries - at least the ones that aren't winter sports powerhouses), if they had their druthers, China would prefer a SOGs again rather than a WOGs. It's not like they hot ken to push harbin for 2018, when many expected it to join in.

Too soon? I think they're reaching the point where they'll be the next USA - understandably hosting more often than many other countries. Anyway, a lot of people here don't even remember Sydney any more - by 2028 there'll be another generation who won't recall Beijing like it was just yesterday.

Part of the issue with China is that they're dealing with next door neighbors Korea and Japan. Whereas Australia is really the only Olympics-viable nation in their part of the world (unless New Zealand can pull it off). The United States for the most part only has Canada to worry about (maybe Mexico at some point in they can clean up the country). So even though Beijing may soon be a distant memory, it's difficult for China to justify another SOG before Japan or maybe Korea has gotten back in there. There's a lot of cities and countries out there that would love the honor of hosting an Olympics, so how does the IOC continue to spread that around so that it continues to remain a worldwide spectacle.

Part of the issue with China is that they're dealing with next door neighbors Korea and Japan. Whereas Australia is really the only Olympics-viable nation in their part of the world (unless New Zealand can pull it off). The United States for the most part only has Canada to worry about (maybe Mexico at some point in they can clean up the country). So even though Beijing may soon be a distant memory, it's difficult for China to justify another SOG before Japan or maybe Korea has gotten back in there. There's a lot of cities and countries out there that would love the honor of hosting an Olympics, so how does the IOC continue to spread that around so that it continues to remain a worldwide spectacle.

I don't see Korea hosting the Summer Games anytime soon, and I would say the same regardless of whether PC got 2018 or not. While it can punch above its weight on a sporting level compared to China and Japan, their cities and their culture is still lesser known. Busan will have a hard time convincing the world they are worthy of the Games in comparison to its competition.

Rather, I'd like to see the Games in Southeast Asia, when one of them is ready. Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam... that's a total contrast to the standard East Asian games we've come to get used to.

I don't see Korea hosting the Summer Games anytime soon, and I would say the same regardless of whether PC got 2018 or not. While it can punch above its weight on a sporting level compared to China and Japan, their cities and their culture is still lesser known. Busan will have a hard time convincing the world they are worthy of the Games in comparison to its competition.

Rather, I'd like to see the Games in Southeast Asia, when one of them is ready. Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam... that's a total contrast to the standard East Asian games we've come to get used to.

All the more reason for China to have their work cut out for them if there's more competition from a nearby region of the world. Who knows when 1 of those countries will be ready to host the world (I would guess Kuala Lumpur would be the first to win). It'll be interesting to see how the IOC starts to view Asia going forward as the Olympic footprint in terms of hosting continues to expand, whether or not cities from smaller countries make a more serious push or simply continue to try.

As they always do ... a mix and match between old favourites and fresh faces. A dash of Athens and London, spiced up with pinches of Beijing and Rio.

I just think China's a rising, if not risen superpower, with the will, desire and the capability to stage the games again, and with multiple “new” cities who could comfortably aspire to do so. And it's a market that just about every sport wants to court. Plus it seems to me that it really hasn't shown a lot of appetite in going for the winter games to date.

Honstly, I think what's most interesting is that Rogge's almost unofficially but publicly stating the time limits between “return” hostings here – and 20 years sounds fair enough for major powers like China or the US. Usually everyone's ready to jump down Rogge's throat and call him "diplicitous" and "self serving" whenever he tells the likes of the US or South Africa he'd "like" to see them bid. And here he is now virtually telling China: "Don't bother till 2028".

Anyway, I'm not saying China would be favourite in a 2028 race against, say, a Japan bid, or a US or South African bid for that matter – and I'm sure many of us would handicap it exactly because of 2008's proximity – but, jeez, they could bring some big pressure and arguments to bear!.

Okay, I'll throw out there - Singapore??? Anyone think it's possible?

Still not buying into the idea that the 8's pattern is anything more than a coincidence. So no, I don't believe that's necessarily the case.

Exactly.

Okay, I'll throw out there - Singapore??? Anyone think it's possible?

It wouldn't interest me, much for the same reasons Qatar doesn't interest me. I know the Games are awarded to a city and all, but I grew up seeing the Olympics as a national affair. It's my personal bias but I'd rather see the Games awarded to a country that you can actually see on a world map. A country the size of Belgium or the Netherlands, at least. Just my personal preference, even if it doesn't affect their technical capability to host the Games.

Again, like the PersArabian Gulf areas, Southeast Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam.) does NOT have the most optimum climate for a July-Sept Olympic Games. That preferred window is both HOT and typhoon-prone. That is why the Asian Games or SEA Games are held in early December in that region. That would also pretty much kill another Delhi Olympic dream. In Asia, really, it's only the northeastern corner (i.e., Korea, Japan, Mongolia, NE China) that has the kindest weather for the preferred July-August window.

Again, like the PersArabian Gulf areas, Southeast Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam.) does NOT have the most optimum climate for a July-Sept Olympic Games. That preferred window is both HOT and typhoon-prone. That is why the Asian Games or SEA Games are held in early December in that region. That would also pretty much kill another Delhi Olympic dream. In Asia, really, it's only the northeastern corner (i.e., Korea, Japan, Mongolia, NE China) that has the kindest weather for the preferred July-August window.

If Doha is asking for an exception though, couldn't 1 of those Southeast Asian countries do the same? Although in looking at Kuala Lumpur's climate.. as much as rainfall is an issue for them, the temperature is pretty consistent throughout the year (certainly not the most friendly conditions for athletes, but we've seen worse). The 1998 Commonwealth Games were held in September, so again, it's not that far outside the normal window.

If Doha is asking for an exception though, couldn't 1 of those Southeast Asian countries do the same? Although in looking at Kuala Lumpur's climate.. as much as rainfall is an issue for them, the temperature is pretty consistent throughout the year (certainly not the most friendly conditions for athletes, but we've seen worse). The 1998 Commonwealth Games were held in September, so again, it's not that far outside the normal window.

Well, yeah, asking for/getting the exception and actually winning the bid are 2 different things. Weather will still play a major factor. The 1998 CWGs were one thing but otherwise, as I said, the Asians, the SEAsian Games are all conducted in early December for climactic reasons.

Archived