Glasgow 2018

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and no. Even with a yes vote in the referendum, we might not be Independent by 2018. It also depends on who is going to provide funding. I can imagine that the UK government would withdraw any funding, if Scotland became Independent. Although the Scottish Government would probably provide all the funding. Everything would be in place due to the 2014 Commonwealth Games so there really would not be alot to spend for these games. It would be good to think of these games being the first great sporting showpiece in an Independent Scotland, however i think that it may be slightly too early for that.

I am in the side of Scottland's independence! For reals Scottland and England are diffrent worlds... Also cuz i come from a part of Guatemala that was an independent country but they never recognized our independence so we were a country only 12 years... And still today you see that we are Quetzaltecos first of all, then Guaremaltecos... :S

But in dont think Scottland's indepence will be so easy :S

Thanks for your support Daewebo

It wont be easy. But since 1999 we have come along way. In the last 13 years, we have established a parliament, have a majority Nationalist Government, and a referendum set for 2014. Recent polls put support for independence at 51%.

If you told people say in 1995 that we would be at this position now, they would think you were crazy.

Some people think Scotland will never vote for independence, and maybe we wont, but what people thought would never happen in the past is now reality.

I am also a supporter of an English Parliament

If u ever do come to glasgow and i am there emre, u r welcome to stay. Save on hotel costs

so nice of u :) will kepp it in my mind and if i can, prepare for big package of delights candies dried fruit and some stuff special for here :)

same from here ;) anytime u visit istanbul will glad to guide u and help u anything u need . ( pity i dont live alone... yet :) lol

so nice of u :) will kepp it in my mind and if i can, prepare for big package of delights candies dried fruit and some stuff special for here :)

same from here ;) anytime u visit istanbul will glad to guide u and help u anything u need . ( pity i dont live alone... yet :) lol

Thanks dude. Istanbul has always been a city that I want to visit. Might plan a visit late this year, beginning of next. If i do, you will need to give me a tour :)

Thanks dude. Istanbul has always been a city that I want to visit. Might plan a visit late this year, beginning of next. If i do, you will need to give me a tour :)

ok..:) give me the details about flight and otel, and forget the rest ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Decision day looms for Glasgow 2018 Youth Olympic Games bid

February 21 - Glasgow are set to find out tomorrow if they will be put forward by the British Olympic Association (BOA) as the UK bidder for the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games.

The Scottish city have made no secret of their desire to host the prestigious event, having been the only city to officially declare its interest, but it is the sole responsibility of the BOA to approve a candidate city and agree to submit a bid to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for consideration.

The BOA Board will meet tomorrow to discuss the matter and, following the conclusion of the meeting, the National Olympic Committee will publically announce if they will submit a bid from Glasgow.

Should the BOA decide to submit the Glasgow bid to the IOC, they must do so before the March 1 deadline.

The Candidature File and other documents will then have to be submitted by October 15, 2012, with a final decision on where the event is held due to be made in June 2013.

BOA chairman Colin Moynihan admits that Glasgow could put forward a very strong bid, given that they would utilise the new facilities that they are building for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, but he is set to let the BOA Board, which he chairs, make the final decision.

"It is no secret that Glasgow has expressed a high level of interest," Moynihan told insidethegames.

"They sent a strong team to look into this at the first summer Youth Olympic Games in Singapore in 2010 and also to Lausanne [where the IOC is based] at the end of last year to learn about the detail of running the Youth Olympic Games.

"Glasgow wants to build on the 2014 Commonwealth Games and to contribute to the sporting success of Scotland.

"I do think it could be a winning bid if it goes forward because they would have the infrastructure and expertise from the Commonwealth Games in place to be a strong contender."

IOC President Jacques Rogge has already said that he feels that "a bid from the United Kingdom would be a strong one" while the IOC would be pleased by the fact that no major work or investment will be required to host the event due to the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

But if Glasgow is put forward for the event, they will face stiff competition to win the right to stage the 2018 Youth Olympics.

Confirmed bidders for the event include Buenos Aires in Argentina, Medellín in Colombia and Guadalajara in Mexico.

Other potential bid cities include Abuja in Nigeria, The Hague in Netherlands, Dagestan in Russia and a bid from Sweden from either Gothenburg, Malmö or Stockholm.

Insidethegames

Yeah, good news. And a great sensible move to make use of the CWGs legacy. I'll be behind them all the way (or until Sweden throws in its hand).

Jeez, if they win it, the UK really will have scored just about every event there is to score in the 2010s. Only missing out on the FIFA WC really.

• 3 months later...

Archived