Glasgow 2018

Not much detail yet, but ...

Glasgow launches bid for the 2018 Youth Olympics

GLASGOW has launched an audacious bid to host the Youth Olympic Games in 2018, an event on the scale of the Commonwealth Games the city is hosting in three years.

The city has begun communications with the British Olympic Association (BOA), registering its interest to become only the third city to stage the multi-sport event and asking the BOA to consider the proposal at its board meeting later this month.

Herald Scotland

OMG! I just realised. That's all we need ... another Glasgow versus Abuja race!

:blink:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The favourite right their.

Who knows? There's not much past form to make much in the way of judgements in the YOG races, and they don't (so far) seem to follow in any "rotation" patterns. I'd guess Buenos Aires would probably be tough opposition for the Scots. And also, who knows what we can expect to come out of Nigeria!

I heard about this last week but i guess we will see if it comes to anything. It would be good if Glasgow does become an official candidate. We have got pretty much most of the venues, especially after the commonwealth games and i know that the people of the city would definately give the youngsters a warm welcome and support.

I heard about this last week but i guess we will see if it comes to anything. It would be good if Glasgow does become an official candidate. We have got pretty much most of the venues, especially after the commonwealth games and i know that the people of the city would definately give the youngsters a warm welcome and support.

You'd think it would be an almost seamless transition to make from CWGs mode.

Yeah and in terms of legacy it would mean that these new venues and existing ones would continue to get used. Glasgow in particular is very proud of its youngsters and i can imagine a great atmosphere. The city is kind of built for these type of games, small but with adequate facilities. I guess the stumbling point may be if other UK cities decide to enter a domestic race to be the uk candidate. And the IOC may think the city is too small.

But aren't they redeveloping Hampden Park post Commonwealth Games? I suppose they could wait 4 years or use a smaller athletics facility.

I havn't heard anything about further redevelopment. The last started in 1997. It could do with a spruce up but there is not really the space around the stadium or the need for another major development. 52000 is the capacity, with this being reduced for the athletics track, it still well exceeds the 10000 minimum that the IOC allow

I havn't heard anything about further redevelopment. The last started in 1997. It could do with a spruce up but there is not really the space around the stadium or the need for another major development. 52000 is the capacity, with this being reduced for the athletics track, it still well exceeds the 10000 minimum that the IOC allow

For athletics, obviously Hampden could be used, or Scotstoun which was recently renovated. It would just need a few temporary seats added.Singapore in 2010 used a fairly smallish stadium for athletics.

Hampden is getting an extension for the 2014 commonwealth games -- the North stand is getting a new concourse addition so that's one update I suppose.

Tollcross pool will hold approx 5,000 seats in 2014 with a plan to reduce capacity after the games to 2,000 seats.

Come 2014 (&2018) Glasgow will have the 5,000 seat national indoor arena, the 4,000 seat velodrome (which the internal area can be used for other sports), 6,000 seat Braehead arena, the 12,500 seat National arena aswell as all the various halls at the SECC. So, I think Glasgow has superb facilities for such an event -- certainly superior to Singapore which did a great job hosting recently.

Let's hope this actually comes to fruition. It could just be a pipedream however.

Who knows? There's not much past form to make much in the way of judgements in the YOG races, and they don't (so far) seem to follow in any "rotation" patterns. I'd guess Buenos Aires would probably be tough opposition for the Scots. And also, who knows what we can expect to come out of Nigeria!

Bueons Aires? Not likely they have no recent experience. Nigeria? After a velodrome collapses not likely either.

All that coupled with no Youth Summer Olympics being held in Europe makes me think a European bid will win.

Bueons Aires? Not likely they have no recent experience. Nigeria? After a velodrome collapses not likely either.

All that coupled with no Youth Summer Olympics being held in Europe makes me think a European bid will win.

Considering we've already had scheduled two consecutive summer YOGs in Asia and two consecutive winter versions in Europe, it would seem "rotation" plays little role - yet - in te YOG selections.

And if it did, you'd think that the IOC would be keen to go to the Americas soon, either with BA or a Lake Placid winter YOGs.

I just say again I wouldn't make too many assumptions on trying to pick YOG winners yet when the whole concept is really still just finding its feet.

Considering we've already had scheduled two consecutive summer YOGs in Asia and two consecutive winter versions in Europe, it would seem "rotation" plays little role - yet - in te YOG selections.

And if it did, you'd think that the IOC would be keen to go to the Americas soon, either with BA or a Lake Placid winter YOGs.

I just say again I wouldn't make too many assumptions on trying to pick YOG winners yet when the whole concept is really still just finding its feet.

BA?

Something along the lines of 2018 Glasgow 2020 Lake Placid makes complete sense.

BA?

Something along the lines of 2018 Glasgow 2020 Lake Placid makes complete sense.

It sounds a neat and tidy sequence, but I'm just saying it's ludicrous to try and predict likely YOG outcomes and proclaim anyone as favourite yet.

Anyway, what's your beef with BA now? It may not have what it takes to host a summer olympics - yet - but the YOGs is small fry, and it's main purpose (apart from turning "yoof" onto the Olympics) is to take the five rings to places with little likelihood of securing a senior games.

Anyway, Glasgow have only said they'd like to bid so far. It's far from official that it's going to go any further.

It sounds a neat and tidy sequence, but I'm just saying it's ludicrous to try and predict likely YOG outcomes and proclaim anyone as favourite yet.

Anyway, what's your beef with BA now? It may not have what it takes to host a summer olympics - yet - but the YOGs is small fry, and it's main purpose (apart from turning "yoof" onto the Olympics) is to take the five rings to places with little likelihood of securing a senior games.

Anyway, Glasgow have only said they'd like to bid so far. It's far from official that it's going to go any further.

When I said BA? I didn't know what you meant by BA :lol: I thought you meant "BA" as a Winter possibility and I didn't know which "BA" it could be. I'd rather see a 2019 Pan American Games bid from Bueons Aires if anything.

The British Olympic Association (BOA) are set to decide this November whether or not to put forward a bid for the 2018 Youth Olympic Games.

Glasgow City Council has already contacted the BOA expressing an interest in hosting the prestigious event for 15 to 18-year-old elite athletes and the subject was discussed by the BOA board of directors yesterday at a scheduled meeting at their headquarters on Charlotte Street in central London.

It was decided at the meeting that the BOA management team will continue to access potential bids for the event before the Board is given a recommendation about what course of action to take in November.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/youth-olympics/2018/14341-exclusive-boa-set-to-decide-on-2018-youth-olympic-games-bid-in-november

• 1 month later...
:rolleyes: I don't think the IOC cares about 'rotation' for the YOSGs, they are too under-developed at the moment. Glasgow would have to be a natural choice as a post CWGs legacy will still be viable. (actually a good idea for other CWG cities left with a what to do next situation) This would also keep the UK running a steady international sports hosting program alive through the decade and maintain it's global sporting prowese.

Glasgow will be a best choice over Buenos Aires. The will have great venues and experience

:rolleyes: I don't think the IOC cares about 'rotation' for the YOSGs, they are too under-developed at the moment. Glasgow would have to be a natural choice as a post CWGs legacy will still be viable. (actually a good idea for other CWG cities left with a what to do next situation) This would also keep the UK running a steady international sports hosting program alive through the decade and maintain it's global sporting prowese.

Also this is likely Europe's to lose.

• 1 month later...
We are seriously interested in Glasgow 2018 Youth Olympic bid, reveals BOA chief

December 8 - British Olympic Association (BOA) chief executive Andy Hunt (pictured) has revealed that they will make a final decision about whether to put forward a bid for the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games at their Board meeting in February.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has stated that National Olympic Committees have until March 1, 2012, to name a Candidate City for the competition and Glasgow City Council has already contacted the BOA to express an interest in hosting the prestigious event for 14 to 18-year-old elite athletes.

"A bid for the 2018 Youth Olympic is something that we are seriously interested in," Hunt told insidethegames.

"We have been working very closely with our Board over the last few months evaluating the feasibility of bidding for the event.

"We have been considering what it would mean in terms of a legacy for Britain and what we could get out of it in terms of inspiring young people.

"Following our Board meeting last month, we are now looking at the process to potentially to put a UK applicant city forward.

"We will go through that process carefully and we understand that there are applicant cities in the UK that could provide an interesting and feasible prospect for a bid.

"Once we conclude that process, the Board will then decide on whether or not to put forward a formal bid at our meeting in February ahead of the official March 1 deadline."

Hunt also talked up a potential bid from Glasgow but stressed that there must be full support for a bid for it to be successful.

"It is no big secret that Glasgow has been in contact with us and that they are very interested in bidding but we have to make sure that all the right factors are in place to bid," he said.

"We need to make sure that there is support for a bid in all the right areas because if there is not full backing from Local and National Government as well as the National Olympic Committee then a bid is dead in the water.

"We are really gauging that support right now but a bid is something that we are certainly very interested in and something that represents and exciting prospect for the BOA."

Glasgow look set to be the only city in the UK that would bid for the event after Manchester and Birmingham – the other obvious British candidates for the competition – confirmed to insidethegames that they have no plans to put forward a bid.

Meanwhile, Cardiff in Wales appears more focused on a potential bid for the Commonwealth Games in 2026 after last week receiving Government support for the plan.

Glasgow will be hoping that their city will prove attractive for the BOA to put forward as a UK bidding candidate due to fact the majority of the infrastructure and venues will already be in place by 2018 due to the fact that the city is hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Insidethegames

Its all up to the British Olympic Association. The City Council supports it and my friend who works at Holyrood informs me that the Scottish Government would support the bid. We need to wait until Feb i think for the BOA to make a decision.

Its all up to the British Olympic Association. The City Council supports it and my friend who works at Holyrood informs me that the Scottish Government would support the bid. We need to wait until Feb i think for the BOA to make a decision.

But maybe its pretry likely that Glasgow will bid! Its thr most logic option for the 2018 YOG!

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like London might hijack it now in the desperate need to find uses for the Olympic stadium - though in reality they'd probably end up having Athletics elsewhere as they'd surely never sell out the stadium (at 55,000 or so) for the Youth Olympics.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/youth_olympic_bids/youth_summer_olympics_2018/1216136035.html

Sounds like London might hijack it now in the desperate need to find uses for the Olympic stadium

There's no evidence I've seen to suggest this is the case.

I've asked the question in the thread relating to this article and I'll ask it again here. Where in Rogge's quote is London mentioned as an interested city? It isn't. And are there other sources that say London is interested in 2018? I've not seen any.

I'm not sure the headline to the latest Gamesbids article matches the story, which is actually that Rogge backs a British bid for the YOGs. Only one British city has publically said it is interested and that's Glasgow.

Archived