Sign in to follow this  
Sir Rols

Bryan Adams - Playing at OC Sucked!

Bryan Adams to Mick Jagger: No satisfaction from Olympics gig

Persistent rumours that the Rolling Stones will perform as the star attraction to open next summer's Olympics in London have been squelched by lead singer Mick Jagger, who says Canadian rocker Bryan Adams — a headliner at the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Games in Vancouver — has turned him off the idea.

"Has anyone actually approached us? No," the 68-year-old Jagger told the BBC this week. "But Bryan Adams said: 'Whatever you do, don't do any Olympic openings,' after he did the Winter Games in Canada."

At the Vancouver opener, Adams and fellow B.C.-born singer Nelly Furtado sang a duet version of Adams' "Bang the Drum" anthem to athletes.

According to Jagger, Adams told him he disliked the clothes he was given to wear and felt chilled on the B.C. Place stage.

"It was so cold, and he had to wear this bizarre suit," Jagger noted in the interview, adding that performers probably wouldn't have to worry about freezing in London: "It would just rain."

Jagger went on to mock Britain's contribution to the closing ceremonies at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, when legendary Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page performed as part of a passing-of-the-torch tribute to London as host of the next Summer Games.

One of the British capital's famous double-decker buses was at the centre of the spectacle.

"It wasn't a brilliant piece of theatre when they left the stadium with a London bus with Jimmy Page on it," Jagger told the BBC. "I don't want to be on that bus when it arrives in London."

Adams, who rose to fame in Vancouver and returns often to the city, has lived mainly in London for the past 20 years, moving in Britain's elite artistic and social circles.

At the opening ceremonies in Vancouver, Adams was dressed in a white shirt and dark blazer with a thin tie, dark pants and shiny black shoes.

Furtado wore a short, body-hugging blue dress with one bare shoulder.

Their performance received mixed reviews, with one Canadian writer calling it a "rousing" effort and a U.S. critic describing it as "a shameless blast of rock 'n' roll cheese."

Montreal gazette

What are these guys 4 year old girls? Jesus Christ quit your wining I'm sure you were payed more than enough for your half assed performance.

What are these guys 4 year old girls? Jesus Christ quit your wining I'm sure you were payed more than enough for your half assed performance.

I can't even remember Brian Adams' part. Not that I'm a fan - I probably saw his name and went to the loo or to make a cup of tea!

I can't even remember Brian Adams' part. Not that I'm a fan - I probably saw his name and went to the loo or to make a cup of tea!

He was just clearly lip singing, some horrible song. Was only there for about a minute, I tuned him out half way threw.

I very much doubt they were paid at all.

U're right. They're not paid. If anything...just expenses, a Certificate of Gratitude; and a small tax-free honorarium. It's supposed to be an honor. I guess Adams is one of those w/o a sense of history. And is Jagger so presumptuous to think that they will automatically ask him? Not his kind of music for an Opening.

Sign in to follow this