What if London Fails?

Sir Rols

:) Although London is running neck to neck with Paris,  are there any concrete plans to be had after July if London dosen't make it.

Would that include the FIFA WC or IRB WC bids as consolation prizes, just so to keep the momentum going.

Would it also mean London would try again for 2020 or 2024?

Your thoughts GB Forum users! :help:

It's an interesting question to pose for all the candidate cities. Here's my suspicions:

Paris _ They would probably feel the blow the most. They are certainly the most confident and have the most self-esteem to lose. I doubt they would try again straight away

London _ While cautiously hopeful, they're probably more steeled for possible defeat. I think a 2018 WC bid would definitely be on the cards, and is they came close in the final voting round, would certainly try again for the OGs in the 2020s.

Madrid _ Really, i see this bid more as their big chance to establish their credentials for another bid further down the track with a stronger chance of success.

Moscow _ Hmmm. Difficult to predict this. I'm sure they'll try for an OG again in future, while I think they'd make a good candidate for a FIFA WC eventually to.

NYC _ They'll probably want to have another try at it for 2016. Whether they get picked by the USOC to bid, however, is a matter of debate you just have to look at the number of threads here about it to realise. Whatever, is they lose, NYC or another US city would probably be in the strongest position for 2016.

If you can write serious posts, Alexjc, why did you troll in the Madrid forum?

and, for the question, I think all the cities will take part in a future bid if they fail.. or maybe not.

It's an interesting question to pose for all the candidate cities. Here's my suspicions:

Paris _ They would probably feel the blow the most. They are certainly the most confident and have the most self-esteem to lose. I doubt they would try again straight away

London _ While cautiously hopeful, they're probably more steeled for possible defeat. I think a 2018 WC bid would definitely be on the cards, and is they came close in the final voting round, would certainly try again for the OGs in the 2020s.

Madrid _ Really, i see this bid more as their big chance to establish their credentials for another bid further down the track with a stronger chance of success.

Moscow _ Hmmm. Difficult to predict this. I'm sure they'll try for an OG again in future, while I think they'd make a good candidate for a FIFA WC eventually to.

NYC _ They'll probably want to have another try at it for 2016. Whether they get picked by the USOC to bid, however, is a matter of debate you just have to look at the number of threads here about it to realise. Whatever, is they lose, NYC or another US city would probably be in the strongest position for 2016.

Because Paris is the favorite...only just, the thought of a heart broken city it will be is just terrible, if they try again, they would go for 2024 as a centenary games.

London will have Great Britian to fall back on and yes I believe the 2018 FIFA WC will be theirs if they show the same tenacity they have for this Olympic bid.

New York WILL fail this time thanks to "stupid politics" BUT will win 2016 as the USA's turn is due.

Madrid may never get a turn till 2024 0r 2028, even this bid has the Barcelona 92 games(IMO the best) still fresh in everyones minds.  

Moscow will not try again, even if St Petersburg still fails to front.

I'd be more worried about the backlash from the British public about how much money has been 'wasted' on a failed bid.

If I was working for London 2012, I would be seriously gutted if London loses, knowing how the British public never really believed London would win anyway.

The Press backlash will be awful.

If NYC by some miracle manages to win 2012 then 2016 is on the cards for London. Otherwise a 2018 World Cup bid would be great and probably much more winnable.

As for the Olympics. Everyone knows that a winter games is impossible in the UK, so we don't have that consolation. Equally, we know from experience that Manchester and Birmingham aren't the new frontiers the IOC were talking about and will only take seriously a London bid. If Paris wins over London it will seem to me that persistant repeated bidding is the way to go to ensure London has a chance of hosting. However, there are two problems with this approach:

1) The land that has been earmarked for the Olympics in London will probably be redeveloped anyway. Either the goverment decides to keep the land empty until we win, in which case they'll be accused of putting a two week sports festival before the needs of locals, or the land will be redeveloped and the new London bid (perhaps centred around Wembley) will be nowhere near as exciting as the 2012 proposal.

2) The British public and press will not accept more money being given to a hopeless cause, which is what the IOC and the Olympic bidding process will be painted as. A few cynical Londoners will point to the transport system etc. and claim London could never pull off such an event and it was a waste of time bidding for 2012. Meanwhile, those north of the Watford gap will be up in arms if London is given any more money for another Olympic bid.

If we lose 2012, I can't see GBR (i.e. London) getting the Olympics for probably half a century. This really is (unless NYC wins) the only realistic opportunity for London. Will the IOC let thatpass them by? We'll see.

It has to be London this time ,every one else can bid again

not london???

if london loose 2012 ,it will depend on the number of votes they ll receive on 6th july but i think their next bid will be good one

if the final score is something paris or madrid or new york 50 and london 48 or 49 everybody in the uk will say "we have to take revenge and to bid again" because it will be obvious london will have it in his bag.

plus if paris wins 2012,our english friends will bid with a bigger project than paris on all the points "olympic staduim, village ,legacy" just to tell the world" who have the idea to give it to the froogy instead of us in 2012"lol

I personally think that, despite what Seb said some months ago about this bid being a once in a lifetime offer, London will try again. As a lot of the building work is happening anyway it would be criminal, in my judgement, not to go again for 2020.

That said, I also think there will be a bid for the 2018 World Cup.

I personally think that, despite what Seb said some months ago about this bid being a once in a lifetime offer, London will try again. As a lot of the building work is happening anyway it would be criminal, in my judgement, not to go again for 2020.

That said, I also think there will be a bid for the 2018 World Cup.

Thats the real hang up isn't it?  Redeveloping that wasteland.  Still preperity work should be done on it, if only to prepare for 2020.

Archived