US Open 2011

Mainad

Samantha Stosur wins the US Open women's singles title, beating Serena Williams in straight sets!

This is the first Grand Slam win for an Australian woman since Evonne Goolagong at Wimbledon in 1980. Margaret Court was the last Australian woman to win the US Open back in 1973.

It's been a long time coming but this will be a shot in the arm for Australian tennis plus it couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

Well done Sam!! :)

Novak Djokovic's win at this year's US Open makes him one of only 6 players in the Open Era who have ever won 3 Grand Slams or more in a single season.

Rod Laver 1969 (all 4)

Jimmy Connors 1974

Mats Wilander 1988

Roger Federer 2004

Roger Federer 2006

Roger Federer 2007

Rafael Nadal 2010

Novak Djokovic 2011

It's Djokovic's sixth straight victory over Rafael Nadal,the guy he displaced as world no.1 after his Wimbledon victory in July.

Any thoughts on the Serena rant?

Well,I am of an age to remember the on-court antics of McEnroe,Connors et al. Compared to them, Serena's outburst appears rather tame. However the world of tennis today is not prepared to be as tolerant of bad behaviour as it was in the past. Serena's fine of just 2,000 dollars was a joke.It should have been more like 200,000 with the threat of immediate suspension from future Grand Slams in the event of a repeat. Not forgetting that she was still officially serving a 3 year suspended dismissal for the 2009 incident with the lineswoman.

Serena's chief problem, apart from her bad temper,is that she never seems to understand or admit that she did anything wrong. When she was asked about it at her on-court interview after the match she just shrugged it off, saying: 'Well I hit a winner but apparently it didn't count!' No acknowledgement whatsoever as to why it didn't count. This is the crux of her problem. She immediately goes into victim mode and presents herself as the injured party.

She is one of the greatest women tennis players ever. But a part of her remains immature and self-centred. I'm guessing that will always be the case.

Archived