Bell Media partners with CBC for 2014, 2016 Olympic rights

SkiFreak

Bell Media partners with CBC for 2014, 2016 Olympic rights

CTVNews.ca Staff

Date: Friday Sep. 9, 2011 11:38 AM ET

Bell Media and CBC/Radio-Canada have agreed to form a partnership to bid for the exclusive Canadian media rights for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, and the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Bell Media President Kevin Crull said Friday that the company looks forward to the chance to deliver the best Olympics coverage possible to Canadians.

"The Olympic Games are a premium property that requires a strong partnership in order to deliver the level of experience that Canadian viewers and advertising partners now expect," Crull said in a statement... (continued)

Full article: CTV: Bell Media partners with CBC for 2014, 2016 Olympic rights

But wait, doesn't Bell Media own CTV? Does that mean the CBC is partnering with CTV? :huh:

It confused me at first too. At least the hockey games will be on the radio (hopefully) this time around.

My guess is that this is an effort to drive down costs for both networks. There's no way that either Canadian network is going to pay the same amount for Sochi/Rio as the Consortium did for Vancouver/London. CBC can't really compete with CTV if CTV really wants the Games, but this should drive down the costs for both networks and spread any potential losses in the future. It will be interesting to see how the IOC reacts if they're not happy with the CTV/CBC offer, just like they're not happy with the BBC's offer for 2014/16.

My guess is that this is an effort to drive down costs for both networks. There's no way that either Canadian network is going to pay the same amount for Sochi/Rio as the Consortium did for Vancouver/London. CBC can't really compete with CTV if CTV really wants the Games, but this should drive down the costs for both networks and spread any potential losses in the future. It will be interesting to see how the IOC reacts if they're not happy with the CTV/CBC offer, just like they're not happy with the BBC's offer for 2014/16.

There is still a very slight chance Global/The Score with Shaw Media launch a bid. I for one would not want the score to show the games.

There is still a very slight chance Global/The Score with Shaw Media launch a bid. I for one would not want the score to show the games.

There's no way they could ever out bid the CBC and CTV combined. Global will never broadcast the Olympics.

I wonder if it will be just the CBC or CTV covering the games and the one that's not covering the games just being able to broadcast the others coverage? Its a very weird concept them both working together, lets hope they can keep it somewhat organized.

I wonder if it will be just the CBC or CTV covering the games and the one that's not covering the games just being able to broadcast the others coverage? Its a very weird concept them both working together, lets hope they can keep it somewhat organized.

Well the same was said when Rogers and Bell teamed up last time. And if I am not mistaken, CTV/Rogers bid was almost double CBC's last time.

Then I don't really understand why the CBC and CTV wouldn't just bid separately, its bizarre.

It comes down to IOC greed - they'll threaten a blackout before accepting a bid they're not satisfied with, even if it is distorting competition.

It could end up happening here in the UK for 2016 if the IOC don't accept the BBC's bid - and the Olympics haven't been shared since 1988 when the BBC, ITV and C4 (so all the channels at the time) had coverage. Football tournaments are traditionally split between the BBC and ITV too - but far easily to split 32/64 games than the Olympic schedule.

Archived