Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

I'd rather to see traditional parade of nations. I'm already tired of 4 years of reading bullshit about Maracana hosting the Opening Ceremony and Sambadrome helding the Marathon finish line... We are already breaking enough traditions...

For me, no matter where will they march. I'm already anxious for the huge Olympic booing they will receive...

And, foreigners, keep out of this. If the games were held in Buenos Aires, the same would happen for the Brazilian delegation.

You guys will never understand the meaning of this for South Americans...

What is wrong with Maracana?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is wrong with Maracana?

Some traditionalists still can't come to grips with the idea of ceremonies not being held in the same stadium as athletics.

For me, no matter where will they march. I'm already anxious for the huge Olympic booing they will receive...

And, foreigners, keep out of this. If the games were held in Buenos Aires, the same would happen for the Brazilian delegation.

You guys will never understand the meaning of this for South Americans...

Sorry Danny, but if that happens in the OC, it'll be seriously out of order. It may be tradition, but you Brazilians would be criticised from one end of the earth to the other if you booed a country in the March of Nations. It is JUST NOT DONE, and would be considered incredibly boorish.

I doubt they are booed. Maybe even a loud cheer (like Pakistan received in Delhi 2010) or sudden silence (for Macedonia and Turkey in Athens 2004).

is there a conflict between Argentina and Brazil? details because i'm a stupid foreigner

No conflict just historical rivarly.

I doubt they are booed. Maybe even a loud cheer (like Pakistan received in Delhi 2010) or sudden silence (for Macedonia and Turkey in Athens 2004).

No conflict just historical rivarly.

I've researched a bit about it (basically i googled it). so the 'historical rivarly is all about football. i though it was about land disputes or something.

I've researched a bit about it (basically i googled it). so the 'historical rivarly is all about football. i though it was about land disputes or something.

Well, you know those Latin American countries...where there was the only case of 2 countries almost going to war OVER a football game. U'd think there were more important things in the world than just pootball.

Some traditionalists still can't come to grips with the idea of ceremonies not being held in the same stadium as athletics.

Sorry Danny, but if that happens in the OC, it'll be seriously out of order. It may be tradition, but you Brazilians would be criticised from one end of the earth to the other if you booed a country in the March of Nations. It is JUST NOT DONE, and would be considered incredibly boorish.

Don't blame me.

Argentina will be booed just like they were in the PanAms, Copa America, Copa Libertadores, whatever...

Maybe because it's Olympics, it will be less louder.

Rols, let's face it: the world will not change centennial sports rivalry in few years.

If the world wants to criticise Brazilians because of this, okay, go ahead... World is criticising Brazil for anything now. It'll be another critic only.

About empty criticisms about our way of life or how to see the life, I'm really getting very used to it - for the good or the evil :)

PS: I'd rather a HUGE silence during the Parade of Nations like the british did with Argentine. Would be perfect!!! But Brazilians are too noisy, the audience will boo for sure.

Well, you know those Latin American countries...where there was the only case of 2 countries almost going to war OVER a football game. U'd think there were more important things in the world than just pootball.

Some start wars because of football, other because of tea... We are full of stupid examples for wars all around the world...

Rols, let's face it: the world will not change centennial sports rivalry in few years.

For the Olympics they do. China had a similar rep for booing, especially of the likes of Japan, in the lead-up to their games. And (probably as a "suggestion" from IOCers) they ended up having to teach their citizens how to be "good" spectators for 2008.

Honestly, if it looks likely that Brazilians will boo at the games (and especially the OC), I think they'll need to do something similar. I can't stress enough that booing for the sake of it just wouldn't be acceptable at the Olympics.

Again, a "death" silence in the Maracana would be much more nice to Argentina than booings...I don't know how media and IOC will solve this - a campaign maybe? But, if nothing be done. Argentina will receive the biggest booing ever in the history of the Olympics.

well, tea is a commodity. Football is NOT; it's merely a diversion.

Read the entire history, the football match was only the final reason to El Salvador and Honduras start the war... They have already been in tension years before the football match.

It’s Rio’s responsibility to decide how to address the booing, it’s not a nice habit to bring into the Olympic arena, and it’s something that would only make the host look bad. As others have said it’s really just not done.

Think about what London was praised for most, I think it was the way the crowds were supportive and positive and encouraging to all the worlds athletes….it’s one of the things that was special about London.

The crowd in the Maracana won't be a typical Brazilian stadium crowd just as the crowd in London wasn't a typical English stadium crowd. A huge chunk of it will be media, VIPs, sponsors anyway. And the mentality of the rest will be that they're there to enjoy a show, they'll know the world will be watching Brazil, and they're not there to create an intimidating atmosphere anyway.

I'd be surpised if there's booing in an Olympic opening ceremony, and massively dissapointed. It'd set things off on completely the wrong note. But as I said, I don't think it'll happen anyway.

--------

Incidentally, on the subject of boos, here's Blatter on his Wembley Olympic experience yesterday...

Blatter refused to accept the boos directed at him during the women's football medal ceremony at last year's London 2012 Olympics were because he is unpopular.

"This was just a very, I would say, a small boos," Blatter told Sky Sports News' Special Report. "Stars are always booed so I'm a star, you have to take it this way. I thought that the public in the Olympic Games, they would be a little bit better educated."

Unfortunately Sepp, it wasn't small boos, I was there. And it's exactly because the crowd was rather better educated about FIFA than you'd like that there were any boos at all.

The crowd in the Maracana won't be a typical Brazilian stadium crowd just as the crowd in London wasn't a typical English stadium crowd. A huge chunk of it will be media, VIPs, sponsors anyway. And the mentality of the rest will be that they're there to enjoy a show, they'll know the world will be watching Brazil, and they're not there to create an intimidating atmosphere anyway.

I'd be surpised if there's booing in an Olympic opening ceremony, and massively dissapointed. It'd set things off on completely the wrong note. But as I said, I don't think it'll happen anyway.

Yeah, I'd hope so and expect so.

Reminds me of when I was waiting at Greenwich Station last year and got to chatting with a copper there. He was saying how much he was enjoying it, and how far, far different it was from policing a Premier League game. Yeah, the games are certainly attract a more mixed crowd than the usual professional sports.

I remember Marts being a bit taken aback by some of the Brazilians at Beach Volleyball last year, but then again, I also remember the Brazilians at the BV in Sydney - they were amongst the best and most fun spectators. I really hope that's the spirit that will infect Rio.

Sepp's just a dick.

booing on sporting events are ok. it is a form of protest if the games are not fair or as a way to make a politician know his a tosser ( goggle 'george osborne booed' but i think booing a the OC is bad manners for the host nation and the people who are at the stadium. the cold silence thing might work.

I hope nothing bad happens...

I want Brazilians simply to make a deadly silence during Argentina announcement and avoid a rain of critics about our "way of acting in a stadium" because of booings.

But if some booing starts, I'll be booing too.

Sorry, guys they chant a lot of **** for Brazil and Brazilians every single match of any sports (even without Brazil playing). And they burn Brazilian flags every single Brazil v Argentina match.

Not all booing in the world is enough to Argentines in sports.

So, also don't expect Brazilians to supportive to Argentine athletes (or vice-versa). This will NEVER happen. NEVER.

It’s Rio’s responsibility to decide how to address the booing, it’s not a nice habit to bring into the Olympic arena, and it’s something that would only make the host look bad. As others have said it’s really just not done.

Think about what London was praised for most, I think it was the way the crowds were supportive and positive and encouraging to all the worlds athletes….it’s one of the things that was special about London.

The deadly silence in the Olympic Stadium at Argentina entrance in parade of nations was really inspiring to me.

Well done UK.

And Britons were not supportive of Argentine athletes too. Argentines were complaining of cold treatment from British audience in their media. Well done again UK!

Really inspiring for us Brazilians!

So you'd ignore a group of people who've worked four years to qualify for an event hosted by your country, simply based on their nationality? You're a jingoistic fool.

Put it this way, if people like yourself were at the helm of the Rio 2016 bid - it would never have won.

As for Argentina at London, the British hardly ignored them. There was a cheer, like there was for any other country. Just like the Chinese welcomed the Japanese, and the Greeks welcomed the Turks. If there is audible jeer for Argentina in 2016 - then Brazil will deserve the savaging wrath of the foreign media. The Brazilian national character will suffer. As will the on-going memory of Rio 2016.

So you'd ignore a group of people who've worked four years to qualify for an event hosted by your country, simply based on their nationality? You're a jingoistic fool.

Put it this way, if people like yourself were at the helm of the Rio 2016 bid - it would never have won.

As for Argentina at London, the British hardly ignored them. There was a cheer, like there was for any other country. Just like the Chinese welcomed the Japanese, and the Greeks welcomed the Turks. If there is audible jeer for Argentina in 2016 - then Brazil will deserve the savaging wrath of the foreign media. The Brazilian national character will suffer. As will the on-going memory of Rio 2016.

i do hope brazil will play nice to Argentina. they should put aside their difference for a fortnight. i hope my assumption that every brazillians is like abi-maria from survivor Philippines is not true.

Argentines were complaining of cold treatment from British audience in their media. Well done again UK!

Nothing to say "well done" about. The reception they received wasn't deliberate or pre-planned.

Thing is Danny, we don't hate Argentina really, not in the way Brazil seems to.

If the reception they received was "cold" from British crowds it's hardly surprising though..

In the months leading up to the Olympics we had sabre rattling over the Falklands from their batshit crazy President, the trolling YouTube video of an Argentine Olympic athlete doing step-ups on a British War memorial, and all the nonsense around some NOC officials wanting their athletes to wear badges during the Opening Ceremony claiming the Falklands are Argentina's. It's tiresome.

So whilst the Argentine's athletes were never booed (and that would've been unfair), they can hardly be surprised they weren't crowd favourites either.

i do hope brazil will play nice to Argentina. they should put aside their difference for a fortnight. i hope my assumption that every brazillians is like abi-maria from survivor Philippines is not true.

Oh she was a pill. Totally clueless that you have 2 play a social game in order to get anywhere near the $1 million prize. But then again, they always cast an "outsider" in every SURVIVOR. There has to be a villain/ness.

Last time I checked, there is not rule or law that imposes me to be supportive to ALL athletes. I can just be respectful and remain quiet.

And be sure, they will cause problems to Brazilian audience like they did in PanAms 2007, when their Handball team started a war with Brazilian team in the court, and even people in the stands got injured.

Nothing to say "well done" about. The reception they received wasn't deliberate or pre-planned.

Thing is Danny, we don't hate Argentina really, not in the way Brazil seems to.

If the reception they received was "cold" from British crowds it's hardly surprising though..

In the months leading up to the Olympics we had sabre rattling over the Falklands from their batshit crazy President, the trolling YouTube video of an Argentine Olympic athlete doing step-ups on a British War memorial, and all the nonsense around some NOC officials wanting their athletes to wear badges during the Opening Ceremony claiming the Falklands are Argentina's. It's tiresome.

So whilst the Argentine's athletes were never booed (and that would've been unfair), they can hardly be surprised they weren't crowd favourites either.

We don't Argentina as much as British do. We have rivalry with them.

Every single World Cup, the Argentine companies makes ad videos even using bad words for Brazilians - some with racist content. Do you want a list of links?

Don't wait us to be supportive to this kind of people.

Somehow, I must agree that to boo athletes (until they start some fight - as they ALWAYS do) is not the adequate attitude.

Somehow, I can understand your POV and the POV of everybody here.

But be sure, they will do something to be booed. They never come to Brazil and go back without start some ****...

Very kind from them before Brazil v Australia in 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th4mRmeNlz8

"Jump, jump, jump, little kangaroo...

We hope you just blow the ass of Brazilians..."

'We can't celebrate the disgraces of Brazil with a beer that was sold for a Brazilian company"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoUzPx9d4Gk

The Ole Newspaper shows a kid that is shamed to say to his father "he is Brazilian" like he was gay...

Homophobic and racist, since his father strongly disappove his "behaviour" as Brazilian - if you know the Argentine national mindset, you will see it even better.

They are so kind with us. Let's cheer for Argentina next olympics!

Meanwhile, our ads making fun of them are much more respectful...

Gol Airlines

A couple of Brazilian tourists are making a lot of good comments and reviews about Buenos Aires, but they are late to leave the hotel and get the plane.

The guy who seems to be very calm says: "I forgot one thing" opens the windows and scream with full voice: "Five time World Champions!!!" "Let's go?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Zax1NoW5U

Sorry, wrong link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD4-HA1H_NI

Oh she was a pill. Totally clueless that you have 2 play a social game in order to get anywhere near the $1 million prize. But then again, they always cast an "outsider" in every SURVIVOR. There has to be a villain/ness.

Please no spoilers - we're only just getting the finale next week. But whoa! She was sure one clueless bitch. I just wonder if she was putting it on for strategy (become unpopular enough for everyone to wanna take to the final 3)? I mean she always seemed to manage to say the very worst things at the worst times.

Still, best villain on the show since Russell.

Archived