Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some traditionalists still can't come to grips with the idea of ceremonies not being held in the same stadium as athletics. Sorry Danny, but if that happens in the OC, it'll be seriously out of orde

I guess they should please the homecrowd first and foreigners can have a chance to learn new music and artists from other countries. Too bad people don't speak greek or portuguese... I even felt Beiji

It seems, Danny, u're looking forward to using the Olympics as a way of putting down your eternal rival, Argentina, again. I hope the attitude changes. The ancient Greeks put aside all their ri

• 5 months later...

It's OFFICIAL. The IOC now wants future host cities to f*ck something up VERY OBVIOUSLY in the Opening...so this could be a humorous launchpad for the Closing. What should RIO f*ck up in the Opening? I say the Parade of Athletes. I'd like them to forget about it!! What say you??

• Like 2

It's OFFICIAL. The IOC now wants future host cities to f*ck something up VERY OBVIOUSLY in the Opening...so this could be a humorous launchpad for the Closing. What should RIO f*ck up in the Opening? I say the Parade of Athletes. I'd like them to forget about it!! What say you??

No, they'll make sure the Brazilian team marches in ahead of the Greeks, and then boo every other team as they enter for a laugh.

• Like 1

that's bad? ;)

• 3 months later...

can we discuss the implications of the OC of the world cup to the OLYMPIC OC? that was a horrible show. hope the closing is better.

Yes, we can. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

• Like 2

Yes, we can. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Of course not. Millions of people around the world do make judgments based on first impressions. The 1 thing Brazil can take away from this is to improve on that rather mediocre WC opening of a week ago for 2016.

How USA 1994 affected the Atlanta show 2 years later? Any thoughts?

I don't think too many people paid too much attention to the 1994 Opening. (I didn't even realize they had one until a few years ago.) Remember, soccer is a johnny-come-lately sport in the US -- unlike Brazil where you are equated with soccer for decades. And besides, these were 2 different cities - Chicago and Atlanta. The latter is NOT an iconic US city. And there is more focus on Brazil because you are an emerging continental power. That's really the only thinking behind the analogy. Nothing too deep about it.

Sao Paulo and Rio are also two different cities.

I KNOW that. But SP and Rio are iconic cities of Brazil. Of Chicago and Atlanta, it's only Chicago which is an iconic American city -- and Chicago is more associated with its basketball team rather than soccer. You sure love to nitpick details without thinking out the nuances, do you??

• Like 1

I KNOW that. But SP and Rio are iconic cities of Brazil. Of Chicago and Atlanta, it's only Chicago which is an iconic American city -- and Chicago is more associated with its basketball team rather than soccer. You sure love to nitpick details without thinking out the nuances, do you??

Yeah, I like to nitpick details from STUPID posts.

The fair comparision is Rio is pretty much like LA and Sao Paulo is New York.

Rio/LA: beaches, entertainment stars, palm trees, 2nd biggest city...

Sao Paulo/NY: skyscrapers, financial center, biggest city...

And the biggest difference: World Cup ceremony focused in entire country culture, I expect Rio to start with Brazilian culture but end in Rio' local stuff.

Give me one good reason why I shouldn't respond in kind to an un-called for, churlish comment? Get OFF my back, AF!!

Here's one good reason: an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. If you don't like the "nastiness" then "be the change you want to see." It may be trite, but it's true. Otherwise you run the risk of someone pointing out your hypocrisy.