Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

Here's one good reason: an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. If you don't like the "nastiness" then "be the change you want to see." It may be trite, but it's true. Otherwise you run the risk of someone pointing out your hypocrisy.

Then let the whole world go blind. I don't need your lecture. And why should I turn the other cheek? Sorry; not my philosophy. I engaged in civil discourse and got a rude reply. It goes right back. I didn't start it.

Just because I lament it doesn't mean I'm going to put up with it. I don't see the hypocrisy unlike you who keeps railing on me yet you were ONE of the biggest instigators in the unrelenting VICIOUS campaign against Tony -- irritating as he was.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course not. Millions of people around the world do make judgments based on first impressions. The 1 thing Brazil can take away from this is to improve on that rather mediocre WC opening of a week ago for 2016.

There's nothing that needs to "improve" upon because like it's been mentioned before, both ceremonies have absolutely nothing to do with each other and cannot be judged as equals. There are several restrictions on what a World Cup opening ceremony can do because the ceremony immediately is followed by a soccer game.

WC Opening ceremonies have lasted between 20 to 40 minutes, Brazil's being only 24ish minutes, and South Africa's lasting almost 40. Also there is limited technology that has been used in World Cups and not because they don't have it (look at the lack of it in Germany's WC OC), but because of a number of factors like the time it takes to set up and take down, the stadium is not exactly equipped for it, and/or it's heavy. Because there's a game immediately following the ceremony, they have to ensure that there is little damage as possible to the field. South Africa and Brazil covered the field to prevent some of that, but heavy weight though is still heavy weight so they still have to be careful on what they bring on to the field for the OC, and where.

You'd have to go back to pre-2000s Summer Olympics OCs to make a fair comparison to WC OCs. But I agree that was a rather weak and poorly choreographed OC, even for the World Cup. I'm sure the OC for Rio2016 will be much better, but I fear if they don't get their act together and finish all of the venues in time, then they won't leave much time left to even focus on making an impressive OC.

Then let the whole world go blind. I don't need your lecture. And why should I turn the other cheek? Sorry; not my philosophy. I engaged in civil discourse and got a rude reply. It goes right back. I didn't start it.

Just because I lament it doesn't mean I'm going to put up with it. I don't see the hypocrisy unlike you who keeps railing on me yet you were ONE of the biggest instigators in the unrelenting VICIOUS campaign against Tony -- irritating as he was.

What a sad philosophy.

And while I challenged Tony on his factual errors I was not vicious.

Stuff I can see worring about with Rio 2016:

Infrastructure, transportation, etc.

Stuff I can't see worring about:

The Brazillians being able to throw a great party.

Infrastructure and transportation ALWAYS gets the biggest scrutiny after facilities. Furthermore these are what people will notice first. The moment they get off the plane!

Infrastructure and transportation ALWAYS gets the biggest scrutiny after facilities. Furthermore these are what people will notice first. The moment they get off the plane!

Security is up there too.

"Sad"? Am rather glad Israel didn't chose this "sad" philosophy otherwise she wouldn't be around today if she had turned a cheek every time one of her loathsome neighbors launched their incursions of hate vs. the tiny country.

Did you just liken your scuffles on GB to the millennia of persecution suffered by the Jews? Israel defends herself against military attack, therefore it is good and right for you to sling verbal mud in online forums?

LMFAO!! Baron, don't you just love the hypocrites that talk about "hypocrisy"?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but I fear if they don't get their act together and finish all of the venues in time, then they won't leave much time left to even focus on making an impressive OC.

Stuff I can see worring about with Rio 2016:

Infrastructure, transportation, etc.

Take a look on venue, infra-structure developments thread, it's amazing that suddenly stadium are rising from ground...

Well, Danny has posted many times here how work is advancing... and after the WC yet to come "fiasco", you should give Brazil a credit, don't you?

Well, Danny has posted many times here how work is advancing... and after the WC yet to come "fiasco", you should give Brazil a credit, don't you?

Thor, I think you quoted the wrong guy.

Alex (rescue girls nick in thw sweepstakes) have been one of the most supportive members about Brazil lately.

Alex (rescue girls nick in thw sweepstakes) have been one of the most supportive members about Brazil lately.

Isn't that a wonder? And at the same time...supposedly supporting the kidnapped Nigerian girls...all after posting all those purposely ambiguous derisive, disgusting remarks about my ethnicity and background which he knew all along? Danny, I hope you weren't born yesterday.

Isn't that a wonder? And at the same time...supposedly supporting the kidnapped Nigerian girls...all after posting all those purposely ambiguous derisive, disgusting remarks about my ethnicity and background which he knew all along? Danny, I hope you weren't born yesterday.

I must confess I didn't read this thread completely lately and since I got in the only post I read same old same old bad will towards Brazil, I give up on reading.

There is no bad will towards Brazil. What you should take into consideration Danny is that most of us, including me, want Rio 2016 and wanted the 2014 Fifa World Cup to be a success. Just because we post news stories, doesn't mean that that's our opinion, we just share the news. All Hosts have had criticism, not just Brazil.

There is no bad will towards Brazil.

C'mon Tony, people here talking about failing infra-structure meanwhile the World Cup is under way in Brazil right now with no big incidents. Airports working fine, even the so-criticized urban transportation is working really okay with few or no complaints (and now I can say this with all letters, since I attended an WC match in other city).

What you should take into consideration Danny is that most of us, including me, want Rio 2016 and wanted the 2014 Fifa World Cup to be a success.

Not everybody wants Rio or Brazil to be sucessfull at the events and you know that.

Just because we post news stories, doesn't mean that that's our opinion, we just share the news. All Hosts have had criticism, not just Brazil.

You post stories, Brazilians post tons of pictures, local news, facts and after all we are called naives, liars, dreamers or whatever.

And worse, more than half of World Cup went ok and you are trying to point the criticisms/bad will, inaccurate news and worries are fair???

And don't come claiming the minor incidents that happened with Chileans and Argentines in Maracana to prove a point. The security in the stadiums is up to FIFA at their request (FIFA does not allow Brazilian Police to take care of stadiums) and with 31 years old I'm really okay to say I saw minor incidents in every single World Cup and Olympic Games I watched, from bombs to journalists being hit and killed by a bus inside an Olympic Stadium...

Apart from some particularly spiteful Argentines, I can't think of anybody who wants Brazil to fail. How would that be advantageous to anyone else?

Ask the two people who voted "I want the games to be a fiasco" in the other thread.

your argument is two anonymous people over the internet. Give it break and stop being so defensive.

No, read it carefully and you'll understand the very argument about people IN GAMESBIDS was only part of my thoughts and an answer to Tony comment that nobody here wants games to br a fiasco. Well, that's not true.

And if you want to join the discussion, come with arguments not personal accusations.

No, read it carefully and you'll understand the very argument about people IN GAMESBIDS was only part of my thoughts and an answer to Tony comment that nobody here wants games to br a fiasco. Well, that's not true.

And if you want to join the discussion, come with arguments not personal accusations.

And if you read post carefully, I said MOST people want it to be a success. Of course, for absolutely everything, not 100 per cent will agree. For example, when that poll was created, someone said they wanted Rio 2016 to fail. I said, most people, including me, want Rio 2016 to be a success.

Ask the two people who voted "I want the games to be a fiasco" in the other thread.

Then please stop digging at me. I never voted for it to be a fail. I'm not one of those two people. I want every Fifa World Cup, Olympic Games and any Sporting Tournament to be a success, regardless of where they are held.

Then please stop digging at me. I never voted for it to be a fail. I'm not one of those two people. I want every Fifa World Cup, Olympic Games and any Sporting Tournament to be a success, regardless of where they are held.

I never said you want the games to be a fiasco...

And don't play the victim, your posts talking about "worries" in Brazil preparations for big events based on reports you got on Internet are all around...

Gosh, all this over infrastructure!

But then this happens everywhere...half the time most infrastructure development has no connection to a major sporting event but used as a catalyst for accelerating programs, and justify the increase in costs involved.

For Rio, it's only going to be about six weeks of well organized mayhem (as happens at all other Olympic hosts) and as long as there is going to be well flowing traffic management, you don't really need to go out of the way from a regular infrastructure growth program to build facilities that could become an albatross around your neck in future.

The biggest waste of infrastructure spending ever in the post war Olympic history is 1976, and not the stadium, but Mirabel Airport!

It now sits abandoned, wasting away while Dorvil carries on.

Archived