Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

Yes, I know. Brazil must do a special first time for South American. The points posted by everyone (except boring post from Victor about my life) are not disputable.

:)

But when Buenos Aires host the games, I'm pretty sure some bananas will be thrown from stands for Brazilians, but this is a subject to be discussed at least 40 years from now...

Maybe they learn racism is not nice.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS: Not all Argentines are racist or appreciate it - probably not the majority.

But those who attend sports events often are or pretend to be.

And the national mindset of Argentina have nothing against to be openly racist specially to black, indigenous people and neighbour nationals like Paraguayans or Bolivians.

They feel free to cast racist opinions and speeches on the media, on the streets and in sports events at any time and nobody feel bad about it.

As they often say and repeat with proud, they are the only country with "pure European blood in South America".

Meanwhile, in Brazil, racism speeches or even jokes are highly not acceptable, indeed, to make a jokes or offesive talks about skin colours, ancestry and this kind of thing is a federal crime with NO chance of being release from jail after paying bail.

We already had Argentine soccer player arrested in field after calling a Brazilian player monkey during a Libertadores Cup match.

It's nice to people see that is more than simply a soccer rivalry.

So your problem with Argentines is that you think they are generally racist? This is bizarre, given you've just spent 10 or so pages completely decimating their national character with sweeping and imbalanced generalisations about them. Regardless of the possibility of there being varying degrees of truth in what you are suggesting or not, its incredibly boring and completely petty/irrelevant to the rest of us.

You clearly have some kind of insecurity issue with Argentina grating at you, and this forum is not the place to vent it. At the end of the day, the world expects Brazilians to be gracious hosts in 2016, to ALL athletes, regardless of nationality. Anything less than this is sheer bigotry and a challenge to Olympic ideals.

Back on topic please.

So your problem with Argentines is that you think they are generally racist? This is bizarre, given you've just spent 10 or so pages completely decimating their national character with sweeping and imbalanced generalisations about them. Regardless of the possibility of there being varying degrees of truth in what you are suggesting or not, its incredibly boring and completely petty/irrelevant to the rest of us.

You clearly have some kind of insecurity issue with Argentina grating at you, and this forum is not the place to vent it. At the end of the day, the world expects Brazilians to be gracious hosts in 2016, to ALL athletes, regardless of nationality. Anything less than this is sheer bigotry and a challenge to Olympic ideals.

Back on topic please.

I know I don't speak English perfectly and sometimes I have some difficulties to express myself in this language.

But it seems you read Greek from posts!

2 - I totally agree with the fact this subject have gone sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo far... But somehow, you bring it back. Ignore it and avoid the subject to be back!!!

3 - I don't have any insecurity with Argentina (being there 3 times hating the country sounds a bit paradoxal, right?)

4 - The world expects from Brazilians to be gracious, and Brazilians expects the world to be gracious with us too regard the olympics, and about this I have no complaints about Argentines - who generally seems to be enthusiastic with the chance to attend Olympic Games with low prices, nearby. But forumers from other countries seems to love to criticise Brazilians for anything. (it's not a criticism for you, but I read a lot of **** of Brazil and Rio here, so where is the gracious atittude in the forums?). My point is: everybody must be gracious - I totally agree with you, but there will be always some trouble around - THAT'S MY SOLE POINT: Some Brazilians will boo whatever they want to boo. Must we avoid? Yes. But we can control the entire audience. Did you get it?

5 - PLEASE BACK TO TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T BRING ARGENTINA OR "DANNYEL'S WAY OF THINKING" TO THE SPOTLIGHT AGAIN!

i think this has gone too far. we started with booing at the OC to this. some please change the topic.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE IN END OF JANUARY CARNAVAL IN RIO DE JANEIRO IS COMING SOON!!!

Can this kind of floaters and costumes fit the Olympic-like design for ceremonies???

2.jpeg?1350990152

carnaval_rio.jpg

4377615310_b86470c233_o.jpg

desfile-escola-de-samba-sapucai.jpg

mocidade.jpg

a-ala-das-baianas-no-desfile-da-imperatr

20100220225831_134995_large_desfile-das-

ala-da-mangueira-cujo-desfile-fez-a-plat

mocidade_0001.jpg

Danny, is rain wet? Is the Pope catholic? Of course, some of that will be in the Ceremonies. However, they cannot be so large as to move slowly. I think they have to be pretty mobile so the show will have a fast pace. Of course, they could also appear at Closing. BTW, wonderful images!!

However, they cannot be so large as to move slowly. I think they have to be pretty mobile so the show will have a fast pace. Of course, they could also appear at Closing. BTW, wonderful images!!

Yes, they move slowly... Indeed because the floats are heavy...

But, I think it's totally possible, for example, to crosse the stadium in less than 5 minutes, is it enough?

I got some random pictures in google. Carnaval in Rio is truly fantastic. I wish you guys could have more information on how the championship is taken every year. What are the grade and why grades are high or low. It's pretty interesting.

(Many doesn't know, but the carnaval in Rio is a tournament between the Samba Schools)

^^ glad you bring this up. the should bring the people behind unidos da tijuca for the OC. for they are my favorite samba school. partucilarly their 2011 and 2008? presentation (i'm referring the one about secrets.)

A comission with the main "carnavalescos" (Art Director of Carnaval Parades) would be fantastic.

@DannyelBrazil quick question: have you been to maracana stadium? how big are the entrances? (for props and sundries)

When I've been there last time, the entrances were not big, but it was old Maracana made for 1950 World Cup and refubshed for 2007 PanAms.

The stadium was almost demolished inside to be renew for the World Cup 2014 and Olympics 2016.

The new Maracana, according to the EMOP (Rio de Janeiro state Company for Works) director, Maracana will have entrance capable to allow Floats to get in the stadium, specially one behind the goal...

Take a look on the pics.

f0UpK0i.jpg

Baron is right, they made underground tunnels under the pitch to allow special stuff for the ceremonies.

PS: This pic is a bit old, I choose it to allow you guys to see the entrances...

Maracana is already more advanced, the stadium is under big lift of the roof by now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And what do you base that on?

The outcome of independence referendum in New Caledonia in 2014 and whether or not they become the newest members of the United Nations and if they aren't yet ready to make their Olympic debuts with their own Olympic committees. Also, South Sudan may not still be ready in 2016.

The outcome of independence referendum in New Caledonia in 2014 and whether or not they become the newest member of the United Nations and if they aren't yet ready to make their Olympic debuts with their own Olympic committee. Also, South Sudan may not still be ready in 2016.

Given that the latest polls show that support for Scottish independence being less than a third of those surveyed, it seems still quite unlikely that the referendum will be successful.

Quite frankly, I'd be more worried about Texas seceding from the Union under Obama.

• 3 months later...

Media reports that the budget for the opening ceremony will be of around USD 100 million. You can google translate this link if you can't read portuguese (http://veja.abril.com.br/blog/radar-on-line/esportes/1067993/).

Does anyone here know the final price tag on recent opening ceremonies?

This article also mentions that the general theme of the ceremony will of a "modern Brazil" and after the approval from the President (expected until the end of the year) an artistic director will be chosen to create the show. What do you guys think that could mean? What would you say would represent a "modern Brazil" in a Ceremony?

^^ Probably it will show current Brazilian culture and how it has progressed but I don't think they'll forget about telling bits of the country's history.

Also I thought K-Events was hired already to make the ceremonies o_o. What happened there? I mean look:

http://www.filmmaster.com/en/highlights/rio-2016-olympics-ceremonies/

• 2 months later...

Geishas doing the samba?

Thats another thing that could have been great with Istanbul - at the Rio closing we could have had a clash between Brazilian samba dancers and Turkish belly dancers !

Worse, they probably will focus in boring Sao Paulo and its even more boring Japanese community...

Yes, belly dancers and samba, that would be amazing!

Archived