Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

Please no spoilers - we're only just getting the finale next week. But whoa! She was sure one clueless bitch. I just wonder if she was putting it on for strategy (become unpopular enough for everyone to wanna take to the final 3)? I mean she always seemed to manage to say the very worst things at the worst times.

Still, best villain on the show since Russell.

Isn't there a SURVIVOR Australia show as well? But she played one very bold strategy...ooops, you may not be there yet.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't there a SURVIVOR Australia show as well? But she played one very bold strategy...ooops, you may not be there yet.

There was one locally made version a few years ago, but it was badly made and flopped. Our version of the Amazing race has been good, though.

Just watched her being voted off last night, so I assume you're talking of her fantasy invisible immunity idol? Actually, by that stage, I would have voted to keep her on for easy final three competition.

Very kind from them before Brazil v Australia in 2006

"Jump, jump, jump, little kangaroo...

We hope you just blow the ass of Brazilians..."

'We can't celebrate the disgraces of Brazil with a beer that was sold for a Brazilian company"

The Ole Newspaper shows a kid that is shamed to say to his father "he is Brazilian" like he was gay...

Homophobic and racist, since his father strongly disappove his "behaviour" as Brazilian - if you know the Argentine national mindset, you will see it even better.

They are so kind with us. Let's cheer for Argentina next olympics!

from the look of that, RIO 2016 will look a bit messy. please stop your petty rivalry for just two weeks. for the sake of the whole continent.

Man, it's a legitimate ask from you, and I couldn't agree more.

I hope no booing happens and Argentines can have a nice time around Rio like millions of them do every year.

But don't expect us to be supportive of the Argentine athletes. This will never happen, illustrado.

Not even for 2 weeks.

Man, it's a legitimate ask from you, and I couldn't agree more.

I hope no booing happens and Argentines can have a nice time around Rio like millions of them do every year.

But don't expect us to be supportive of the Argentine athletes. This will never happen, illustrado.

Not even for 2 weeks.

i do hope so. but going back to the main topic. i hope these OC will more than just about the amazon, the rain forest and carnival. these are kinda old hat for me. what i want to see is the real rio. the in-jokes and the references that are obscure to the international audience. that is why think london OC was brilliant. even if i'm bias to it (huge anglophile). their was authenticity to the whole thing not like the fakery that is beijing.

Some traditionalists still can't come to grips with the idea of ceremonies not being held in the same stadium as athletics.

Sorry Danny, but if that happens in the OC, it'll be seriously out of order. It may be tradition, but you Brazilians would be criticised from one end of the earth to the other if you booed a country in the March of Nations. It is JUST NOT DONE, and would be considered incredibly boorish.

Amen to that. Greece didn't boo Turkey or Macedonia. The Brazilians had better restrain themselves where Argentina is concerned or it will be a blot on the Games at the very beginning.

Just a quick note from someone who doesn't post here: I'm Brazilian and I have absolutely no problem with any of our neighbours. In fact, I think Argentina and Portugal are great countries (just to name a few of which some people claim to be hated by Brazilians).

I live too far from Rio so probably won't be at any of the ceremonies but I'd be very more than happy to cheer for any athlete, from any country, from any continent, of any religion, of any sexual orientation and so on. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee others will behave in a mature way. I find it appalling, ridiculous and very childish that some Brazilians love to create problems where there is none with regard to these silly rivalries. The problem may be that the "childish" minority can be very noisy. I don't know people from SaoPaulo who hate Rio with all their might, neither the reciprocal situation, but we hear -more frequently than one woul like to- about these claims in this very forum.

I expected the Brazilian government or the sports committees to try to explain the population about the importance of being good (respectful, warm, kind, etc) hosts but I don't think it's going to happen. All I can hope for is that these people grow up by then, including some of our colleagues here.

Just a quick note from someone who doesn't post here: I'm Brazilian and I have absolutely no problem with any of our neighbours. In fact, I think Argentina and Portugal are great countries (just to name a few of which some people claim to be hated by Brazilians).

I live too far from Rio so probably won't be at any of the ceremonies but I'd be very more than happy to cheer for any athlete, from any country, from any continent, of any religion, of any sexual orientation and so on. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee others will behave in a mature way. I find it appalling, ridiculous and very childish that some Brazilians love to create problems where there is none with regard to these silly rivalries. The problem may be that the "childish" minority can be very noisy. I don't know people from SaoPaulo who hate Rio with all their might, neither the reciprocal situation, but we hear -more frequently than one woul like to- about these claims in this very forum.

I expected the Brazilian government or the sports committees to try to explain the population about the importance of being good (respectful, warm, kind, etc) hosts but I don't think it's going to happen. All I can hope for is that these people grow up by then, including some of our colleagues here.

Maybe the issue will be addressed during and after World Cup 2014; and Brasilia & all sectors can take remedial action in time for 2016.

Olympic pass, it seems you live very far from Rio, Sao Paulo and the South of Brazil.

To deny SPORTS rivalry with Argentina seems totally out of this world from you.

I told here you live far from Rio and you know nobody from Sao Paulo who hates Rio and otherwise.

I don't know where you live, but being far from Rio, you don't know much the situation.

I live in Sao Paulo, my father's family is entirely from Sao Paulo, my wife is from Sao Paulo, and I can make you know dozens of paulistas who hate Rio.

Indeed my wife was one of them, she changed their mind after visiting the city. (I can show you a bunch of cariocas who hate Sao Paulo).

Every single day I listen to some **** about Rio from paulistas. Not the ones I know, but in the bus, in the streets. Many not all paulistas love to hate Rio. Fact.

I don't hate Sao Paulo (nor Argentina). I told several times: I live here, work here and married here. I have the RIGHT to have a LOVE-HATE relationship with the city and the state.

This does not change the fact I think Sao Paulo is too dense to host some Olympic Games. The city is not suitable for this kind of event, altough, I am a complete enthusiast of Sao Paulo Expo 2020 bid.

This is the kind of event Sao Paulo should seek. Also I do think the Formula 1 Brazilian GP must be ever held in Interlagos, not in Rio.

About Argentina. Let's put things clear: I HAVE SPORTS RIVALRY WITH THEM!!!

I don't hate Argentina or Argentines, but, it's a funny subject to make jokes about them, like they made a lot about us.

I've been to Argentina few times and I do HAVE ARGENTINE FRIENDS, indeed, yesterday I was with one of them introducing him for a job, the guy is amazing, good professional and he is from La Plata.

Also this does not change my mind about Buenos Aires be a great city, but the city is totally in RUINS, because a stupid government destryoing their economy and the country.

Buenos Aires IMHO have no chances to host anything soon. The country is a mess, much like Brazil in the 80s - or worse.

I also have the RIGHT (our constitution grants freedom of expression) to NOT BE SUPPORTIVE of Argentine Athletes.

Sorry I can't cheer for a country who supporters burn flags of Brazil and call us monkeys every single sport event. This is a fact.

I can applaud the efforts of them to play the Olympics and their training efforts, but probably some Argentine supporter nearby in the stadium/court/anywhere will be calling us monkeys during the competition. This ruins any chance of being supportive of them.

Come visit the Southern part of Brazil and maybe you will understand that some things really happens.

And I agree with you this kind of subject is overtalked in this forums.

Maybe the issue will be addressed during and after World Cup 2014; and Brasilia & all sectors can take remedial action in time for 2016.

The media will probable start some kind of campaign after the World Cup since this kind of thing will happen already in 2014.

But in soccer, this is different, booing is not a sin.

Olympicpass, it seems you live in Italy.

I can understand somethings now.

There, people throw bananas in the field for Brazilian playes and nothing serious really happen to them. It's pretty normal to be racist. That's maybe why you have nothing against the Argentines.

PS: I'm not black, but I hate racism.

Olympic pass, it seems you live very far from Rio, Sao Paulo and the South of Brazil.

I told here you live far from Rio and you know nobody from Sao Paulo who hates Rio and otherwise.

I don't know where you live, but being far from Rio, you don't know much the situation.

I live in Sao Paulo, my father's family is entirely from Sao Paulo, my wife is from Sao Paulo, and I can make you know dozens of paulistas who hate Rio.

Indeed my wife was one of them, she changed their mind after visiting the city. (I can show you a bunch of cariocas who hate Sao Paulo).

Every single day I listen to some **** about Rio from paulistas. Not the ones I know, but in the bus, in the streets. Many not all paulistas love to hate Rio. Fact.

I don't hate Sao Paulo (nor Argentina). I told several times: I live here, work here and married here. I have the RIGHT to have a LOVE-HATE relationship with the city and the state.

This does not change the fact I think Sao Paulo is too dense to host some Olympic Games. The city is not suitable for this kind of event, altough, I am a complete enthusiast of Sao Paulo Expo 2020 bid.

This is the kind of event Sao Paulo should seek. Also I do think the Formula 1 Brazilian GP must be ever held in Interlagos, not in Rio.

I don't hate Argentina or Argentines, but, it's a funny subject to make jokes about them, like they made a lot about us.

I've been to Argentina few times and I do HAVE ARGENTINE FRIENDS, indeed, yesterday I was with one of them introducing him for a job, the guy is amazing, good professional and he is from La Plata.

Also this does not change my mind about Buenos Aires be a great city, but the city is totally in RUINS, because a stupid government destryoing their economy and the country.

Buenos Aires IMHO have no chances to host anything soon. The country is a mess, much like Brazil in the 80s - or worse.

I also have the RIGHT (our constitution grants freedom of expression) to NOT BE SUPPORTIVE of Argentine Athletes.

Sorry I can't cheer for a country who supporters burn flags of Brazil and call us monkeys every single sport event. This is a fact.

I can applaud the efforts of them to play the Olympics and their training efforts, but probably some Argentine supporter nearby in the stadium/court/anywhere will be calling us monkeys during the competition. This ruins any chance of being supportive of them.

Come visit the Southern part of Brazil and maybe you will understand that some things really happens.

And I agree with you this kind of subject is overtalked in this forums.

The media will probable start some kind of campaign after the World Cup since this kind of thing will happen already in 2014.

But in soccer, this is different, booing is not a sin.

Olympicpass, it seems you live in Italy.

I can understand somethings now.

There, people throw bananas in the field for Brazilian playes and nothing serious really happen to them. It's pretty normal to be racist. That's maybe why you have nothing against the Argentines.

PS: I'm not black, but I hate racism.

to be clear. i'm against booing at the OC. during the actual sport event is okay

^^ I agree with you and with all said here, but still, I do think some booing will happen and I don't oppose it at all.

The end.

To be honest, I'm full of this subject, I'll not answer more about booings and Argentina.

If you guys wants to see me jumping here and there, keep trying.

In this thread I'll talk only about the ceremonies itself from now on.

Everything you do here at these boards denies this and being the Brazilian member who posts more frequently, you promote a very wrong image of the country relations with Argentina. You don't have a sports rivalry with them, you act like you PLAINLY hate them even though you say (because saying is easy) you have nothing against anybody. Maybe you're the type who booed everything that moved during the 2007 Pan Ams. And I'm sure you know that was very shameful for the entire nation. What most educated people in Brazil call rivalry is the light tongue-in-cheek mockery attittude with which we make fun of each other after sports games. You take your bias to every subject related to Argentina albeit you definitely know that 'ruined country' scores much higher than Brazil in many human development indexes. This hostile behavior is much typical of middle class football supporters with much time for TV.

I hate them plainly but I spend 2 thousand reals in Buenos Aires in my last vacations...

(and spent my 2010 vacations in Triple Border, indeed, the best part of the trip after the Itaipu Dam was Puerto Iguazu town in Argentina)...

Unless, you are stupid or are pretening, I told SEVERAL TIMES Buenos Aires worths the visit, but the city REALLY IS in ruins. Go there and check by yourself.

I hate them plainly but I introduced a job for my Argentine friend from Sao Vicente...

I hate them plainly but a couple of years ago I was helping Argentine tourist to find their way in Arraial do Cabo without making any cheat to them...

And no I didn't booed any Argentine at the PanAms 2007, indeed, because I didn't attended any match with Argentines playing.

But I laughed my ass off watching on TV the female soccer match Argentina vs Panama with Brazilians in the stands chating "O Panama, I love you so much, I want to sing to the entire world, the joy of being Panamanian".

Curiously, the only booing I did was for !!! Brazil !!!, after the shameful loss to Ecuador in male soccer tournament. Our coach was so dumb and entire Maracana booed him - me included.

Fact: their human development index is reducing meanwhile our is increasing. I don't care about how big or not is their HDI, but, FYI, Rio, Sao Paulo and Brasilia have better HDIs than Buenos Aires, Rosario and Corboda.

Still, Brazil have lots to do in the countryside to reach Argentine national levels (but, consider that more than 50% of Argentina lives around the metro area of BA).

VICTOR, you know nothing about me.

Go care things about your life.

Post your opinions about the subjects, not about the forumers. I never did it with you, and I won't do it anytime.

To end the subject Argentina here.

1996, Atlanta Olympics.

Argentina won the semi-final soccer match and would face Brazil or Nigeria in the final match.

Argentina's main sports newspaper printed this:

macacos-ole.jpg

"Monkeys to play with us in the final match"

Sorry, this is just one of the dozens reasons I have to never support them.

End.

I think we had three major booing incidents during London 2012:

1. Badmintongate - two pairs trying to lose deserves nothing less than all-round boos.

2. Sepp Blatter announced at Wembley - a rare opportunity for fans to let him know how we felt.

3. When the Chancellor of the Exchequer was involved in a medal ceremony in the Olympic Stadium. Perhaps not the most wise public outing by a very unpopular politician.

Booing happens sometimes, and it might happen in Rio and it might be for good reason, but I think booing a team as they enter a stadium during a welcoming ceremony wouldn't be fair.

And re: the newspaper above. I'd hate to be booed because of something The Sun printed. What say do Argentine athletes have over their press.

I think we had three major booing incidents during London 2012:

1. Badmintongate - two pairs trying to lose deserves nothing less than all-round boos.

2. Sepp Blatter announced at Wembley - a rare opportunity for fans to let him know how we felt.

3. When the Chancellor of the Exchequer was involved in a medal ceremony in the Olympic Stadium. Perhaps not the most wise public outing by a very unpopular politician.

Booing happens sometimes, and it might happen in Rio and it might be for good reason, but I think booing a team as they enter a stadium during a welcoming ceremony wouldn't be fair.

I don't have any problem with those examples at all. I would've joined for Badminton and Sepp. It's the booing of opponents solely because they are opponents that I find objectionable.

I dream about Buenos Aires, going there and soaking in what is and has been and may be. I've also never been to Brazil, and sometimes I think some beautiful Brazilian things are probably being gentrified right now may be the things I would have love most about Rio, I will wonder how it was and what it is. But Brazil is interesting and Danny is also so interesting. How lucky we are that he has contributed so much here.

^^I didn't said BA is not a great place... Quote any post from saying anything otherwise.

I said and repeat: Buenos Aires city infra-structure is aging and have not been in their better shape lately. Period.

(my last post was for Victor, not Paul)

Thank you for words, Paul. :)

And re: the newspaper above. I'd hate to be booed because of something The Sun printed. What say do Argentine athletes have over their press.

I didn't said I will be booing them because a specific newspaper report made almost 20 years ago. I said this is one of the several reasons I don't like to supporting Argentines.

^^ok. back to the main topic. who do you think will be the artistic director. any preferences?

Well, Ric Birch and Marco Ballich (who partnered for Torino) have been signed to head Ceremonies. Of course, they will also partner with local talents but because of their experience, they have been chosen to produce 2016.

@Danny, when you invite people to your home, do you do so in order to shame them and belittle them? :blink:

No; you invite people to your house...normally...because you want their company and you want to show off your home and be a good and hospitable host in the process. This is the reason cities and countries vie for hosting the Olympic Games -- so that that one moment of universal brotherhood, every four years, can be celebrated in one's house. The sports are really secondary; the main thing is coming together for camaraderie and friendly competition -- FRIENDLY being the operative word. Also, they will come your way about once in a lifetime. That's what makes the Olympic Games unique.

So how about making it a unique experience by welcoming ALL the nations and teams, regardless of where they're from, showing them that Brazil is an exemplary host, rising above all PETTY behavior which can be exhibited at all other tournaments but this one? Otherwise, the host does NOT deserve the honor and should NEVER have bid in the first place.

I didn't invited any Argentines to come to the party... :rolleyes:

Jokes apart.

You're right.

The thing is: you guys from outside South America takes booing as something extremely offensive. The vision of this attitude here in our weird continent is a bit different - I told it several times.

Booing in sports usually means "We are not supporting you, but the other team". It's not easy to you guys get it and I do understand that.

In fact, people from Nothern Hemisphere and rich countries does not want to fit inside other countries way of acting... Your way of acting is right, everybody else is wrong and **** the rest...

Anyway...

Gestures can vary on meaning from continents to continents. An "OK" gesture like you Americans do (making an O with fingers) is utterly offensive in Brazil and can lead to fights - litterally means "Go get fucked in your ass".

Despite of this, Olympics is an international event and must be ruled under international standards. I agree with this and I know that. I do post in international forums and talk with people from around the world like you and the forumers here. I travel abroad and I understood that already.

But not every Brazilian are used to foreigners and International standards. Despite of being a beautiful country, we barely receive only 5 million foreign tourists/year - mostly Argentines and South Americans.

Orlando alone receive 20 million international tourists/year...

In the end, it's a matter of learning new behaviours and learning how to act in an event where booing is highly not acceptable.

But, don't worry, in the end everything will run smoothly. The PanAms were an example. In the first days he heard booings, but after 4 or 5 days of campainging in media and venues saying booings are not acceptable, people stopped.

Still, I think some booings will be heard for Argentines in the OC... It's almost a tradition, and the fact is: they don't care much about this, they are used to boo and be booed too.

But you're right, international events are ruled under international standards. Brazilians will have to learn that.

Hope media and Brazilian NOC makes a campaign for this.

Good, Danny. You and Brazil should make 2016 unique! When you and all Brazilians (and Argentines) who will experience 2016 will sit down one day and tell the stories to your children and grandchildren, wouldn't it be grand to tell them...you know what, hijos? there was one amazing thing about that fall of 2016! Amidst all the pageantry and color and national pride, in all the years of our fierce, sometimes dirty rivalry with our neighbors, one thing stood out!! We actually engaged in the friendliest competition, and we sometimes acted as brothers. And all this happened because we had the Olympic rings looking over us."

I BET in looking back upon it like that, you will feel soooo good and have such fond memories of 2016. Think about it. After all, the next Summer Olympic Games that will come to South America, will probably happen in Buenos Aires...so you have to take that first step in 2016!

Archived