Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

The only great artists are american or british... yeah... <_<

BTW, I already know Despina Vandi before the games of 2004... B)

Danny, I didn't say that. It's just culturally (and re pop artists), we belong to different worlds. That's neither here nor there. If u want a show to have int'l resonance, then of course, you feature int'l artists. If not, then feature Brazilian artists by all means, but DON'T feel hurt or blame others if they are NOT familiar with your artists. It's just the way it is. Just as we, or I, don't expect you to know all the 2nd and 3rd grade artists of the US.

You get soooooooo defensive.

You knew Despina, good for u. Does that make anybody who didn't know her a bad or lesser human being? :rolleyes:

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tough one, but I gotta agree with Baron to an extent.

I personally thought the Athens closing was one of the best ever, I think they ticked off most closing ceremony boxes. What let it down, and I don't think you can get away from this, is that the music probably didn't carry with as many people due to the lack of international stars.

I think Greece has a fantastic modern music tradition, hell, it's the music millions of people party to from around the world as the converge on the Santorini, Mykonos, and Paros - so it's not unlike Brazil in that sense. But even keeping all this in mind, it didn't have the *boom* which was required.

Again, is this right? No. But it is most likely a truth.

im hoping the best from rio since they have one of the most spectacular and colourful culture,vibrant ethnic, with a very avant garde costume style and lots of smiling people..but still wish that they not just focusing on cliche part but more into discovering something new, wow,big props,technologies ,movements,lighting etc..im thinking of the starting segment with copacabana beach inside the stadium!(if sydney with it great barrier reef,athens with water elements,london with country british village,it should be great to see rio with man made beach in the stadium!)and end with brazillian famous jungle and forest segment with lot of big trees rising from the bottom of the stadium etc..samba dance parade with lot of costume,big props,beautiful step and movements,gigantic fesyen show!plese dont go for another rock concert style like london did :)

im hoping the best from rio since they have one of the most spectacular and colourful culture,vibrant ethnic, with a very avant garde costume style and lots of smiling people..but still wish that they not just focusing on cliche part but more into discovering something new, wow,big props,technologies ,movements,lighting etc..im thinking of the starting segment with copacabana beach inside the stadium!(if sydney with it great barrier reef,athens with water elements,london with country british village,it should be great to see rio with man made beach in the stadium!)and end with brazillian famous jungle and forest segment with lot of big trees rising from the bottom of the stadium etc..samba dance parade with lot of costume,big props,beautiful step and movements,gigantic fesyen show!plese dont go for another rock concert style like london did :)

I like that...and also i would like to watch an old man, an elder, or a group of elders (3 ethnic groups) telling a story or a legend and talking about the past, the present and the future of Brazil...and the story could start at Copacabana Beach or in the Amazon river...

London was really amazing! Rio team needs to think very well about the ceremonies.

Danny, I didn't say that. It's just culturally (and re pop artists), we belong to different worlds. That's neither here nor there. If u want a show to have int'l resonance, then of course, you feature int'l artists. If not, then feature Brazilian artists by all means, but DON'T feel hurt or blame others if they are NOT familiar with your artists. It's just the way it is. Just as we, or I, don't expect you to know all the 2nd and 3rd grade artists of the US.

You get soooooooo defensive.

You knew Despina, good for u. Does that make anybody who didn't know her a bad or lesser human being? :rolleyes:

When did you became my father?

You can be sarcastic and ironic in all posts... If I make a small ironic comment, I'm defensive... Pretty fair, dad.

Well, I'm looking forward to the Opening Ceremony and hope that Brazil will showcase its love of life (which has been evident in every Brazilian that I have met so far), willingness to welcome people from foreign lands and ambitions for the future. Elements that I am particularly interested in are different genres of Brazilian music: the samba (obviously!), the bossa nova, Brazilian jazz, the choro, capoeira music, samba-reggae and so on. The Ceremony would also be a wonderful opportunity for Brazil to showcase the traditions of its various federal states and to make references to its modern history as well.

Let's not forget great architecture and art: Oscar Niemeyer and Candido Portinari are only two instances that could serve as a reference point.

There are too many clichés about Brazil and few people are truly aware of the country and the things it has to offer. Rio 2016 will hopefully help in shifting attitudes. I, for one, am looking forward to the Opening Ceremony!

On a bit of a different note, what will the countdown be like?

Beijing used drummers, London popped balloons, and Rio...?

Well, it depends on who you ask, I guess. :)

Oh yeah...and who do you think is gonna light the torch? What will the torck look like? What is my name? Where am I? AUUUGH!! TOO MANY QUESTIONS IN MY HEAD RIGHT NOW!!! :wacko:

How do you know? Do u have a crystal ball? R u talking from a Brazilian POV?

I mean to the Greeks Athens 2004 Closing was great...but it only featured Greek artists who are known to like 11 million Greeks and another few million living abroad. Outside of Greece & the Greek communities in Toronto and Sydney, those artists were not known. U might be saying the same thing. Great Brazilian artists--like those in the Rio handover-- who will only mean something to Brazilian fans. I never heard of those artists and they perform in a language I don't use...so I don't see how their appearnace would have a lasting effect on me???

I disagree... I didn't know any of those singers, but it was amazing to discover the Greek music and it had a lasting effect on me... Dinata, dinata...

Nana Mouskouri is the only int'l Greek artist that I am quite familiar with and somewhat like...and she wasn't featured. Not to say that I didn't enjoy the ceremony's music; it was quite enjoyable but not enough to send my buying those artists' CDs. And if you ask me their names today, I wouldn't remember. Same thing with how London closed. But in Beijing, at least I knew who Sarah Brightman and Placido Domingo were.

I think a good opening scene even before the countdown would be a bird's eye view of the city, like a plane flying over the city and approaching the stadium to the sound of "samba do aviao" (famous bossa nova song about a person contemplating the city from a plane as it lands at rio's airport).

It would be a serene start, with beautiful scenery and the sunset.

In terms of elements for the ceremony, i'd like to see something about the military dictatorship and how democracy was restablished in the late 80's. Particularly, i'd like to see some of the beautiful protest songs created by several musical movements from that period. It would be a nice way to include artists such as caetano veloso and chico buarque.

Also, should they try to claim the airplane as a brazilian legacy to the world? It's a disputable idea,but since we are paying for the party we might as well tell history in our terms, ritght? That would be fun.

Athens and London showcased their culture... Unlike Beijing, with non-Chinese acts...

Exactly. I think the Chinese knew that stuffing the Closing with many Chinese acts/talents would not go over well in the rest of the world. I mean who would recognize those singers + 2 hours of that would've been maddening. Even Sarah Brightman's partner in the "One Dream, One World" theme song at Opening was limited to just a few stanzas in Chinese. So at least viewers stayed with the Closing show, if only for the spectacle which the Chinese were good at. Something visual is very universal and needs no translation.

On a bit of a different note, what will the countdown be like?

Beijing used drummers, London popped balloons, and Rio...?

Number sculptures all around the city?

At least, all the look of the games so far points to something like this...

First games in South America... It will be difficult to resist a countdown from 30 to 0 with a host city per second (London gets 3!) and 0 being Rio de Janeiro with a display of fireworks, just like the PanAms.

• 4 months later...

What's the protocol with the Parade of Nations? Aside from Greece first and Host Nation last, dods the order of nations have to be in alphabetical order based in the host language? I was thinking, given that it is the first Olympics in South America, and how much that aspect is being trumpeted (eg/ not just Brazils Olympics, but South Americas Olympics), why not have all the usual non-South American nations come out in their order, then after Zimbabwe the first alphabetical South American nation marches out, then the next, right up to Brazil. A great way, I think, to acknowledge the milestone that 2016 is. Something similar could occur whenever the Games are first held in Africa too. The debut of a continent.

What's the protocol with the Parade of Nations? Aside from Greece first and Host Nation last, dods the order of nations have to be in alphabetical order based in the host language? I was thinking, given that it is the first Olympics in South America, and how much that aspect is being trumpeted (eg/ not just Brazils Olympics, but South Americas Olympics), why not have all the usual non-South American nations come out in their order, then after Zimbabwe the first alphabetical South American nation marches out, then the next, right up to Brazil. A great way, I think, to acknowledge the milestone that 2016 is. Something similar could occur whenever the Games are first held in Africa too. The debut of a continent.

Neh. Too crazy. Why tinker with something that's already traditional?

Not going to happen unfortunately.

Reminds me of what Melbourne did in 2006.

I'm sure some of us would love to see Argentina going to the end of the line. B)

Thats the point. Argentina is a South American country, part of the host continent, so it might be nice to have it and other countries march last in alphabetical order.

Not going to happen unfortunately.

Reminds me of what Melbourne did in 2006.

Yep! Except in 2006 it was all by continent, IIRC the order was Europe>Americas>Africa>Asia>Oceania.

I'd rather to see traditional parade of nations. I'm already tired of 4 years of reading bullshit about Maracana hosting the Opening Ceremony and Sambadrome helding the Marathon finish line... We are already breaking enough traditions...

I'm sure some of us would love to see Argentina going to the end of the line. B)

For me, no matter where will they march. I'm already anxious for the huge Olympic booing they will receive...

And, foreigners, keep out of this. If the games were held in Buenos Aires, the same would happen for the Brazilian delegation.

You guys will never understand the meaning of this for South Americans...

Archived