Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

I think Rio's Ceremonies will be more spectacular than London because (1) Rio and the Brazilians are more extroverts than the Brits; and (2) I noticed they've added underground passages to the infield at Maracana...therefore this will allow for more 'surprises' than could be achieved in London or Sydney where because there was no underground space in the field, everything (the props mainly) had to be dragged out, pushed in/out of the field. But I hope Rio/Birch/Ballich do NOT go overboard with the glitz and the bling. Less is more.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, unfortunately I also see a lot of those quarrels in the internet. I can't understand the kicks some people get from provoking other people and offending their countries.

Well, what I can assure you is that, like in every country, there are good people and not-so-good people. And believe me, there are MANY Portuguese that love Brazil and Brazilians.

Nem mais! A maioria dos portugueses gosta do Brasil! Tal como acredito que a maioria dos brasileiros gosta de Portugal. Além disso, a verdade é que os poucos que criticam os portugueses ou os brasileiros não conhecem a realidade e gostam de generalizar! Vai RIO!!

Do not feed the trolls. Portugal needs attention. That's the only reason for this childish attack. It comes from a grumpy, jealous (probably unemployed) kind of person that Portugal is so full of now since the crisis officially put them on their knees. They're an economically (and somewhat culturally) irrelevant country since long time and need either to bully someone or cling to past glories - that's the country which bore Sebastianism.

And this is a linguist issue also. Brazil is the place in which our language flourished in such vibrant and diverse ways. And it's because of Brazil, not Portugal, that the portuguese language reached far away cultures and the former colonies of Portugal. We don't deny their influence, but we rebuilt the harsh colonial heritage that plagues the country to this day and turned it into something new and young. And we know that nice people form Portugal are proud and happy that we'll have an Olympics in our language for the first time.

Nao gostei dessa generalização!!!!!! Portugal não é um país irrelevante a nível cultural! Aliás, o Brasil cultural, que é riquíssimo, deve muito a Portugal! Tal como deve a África ou à América do Sul! Portugal tem a sua cultura tal como o Brasil. Nenhuma é inferior!!! Além disso, e dentro do espírito olímpico, um bocadinho de respeito fica sempre bem! Adoro o Brasil e espero estar no Rio, mas acho que alguns brasileiros têm uma ideia errada da maioria dos portugueses. Venham cá e conheçam!

Hey, ENGLISH!! ENGLISH! This is an English language forum. Even if it is your petty squabbles, at least the non-Portu speakers here can maybe learn something about your rivalries. But I can't if u keep posting in Portu, and I will NOT bother with a translation. It is just common courtesy to post in the predominant language of the FORUM!!

Hey, ENGLISH!! ENGLISH! This is an English language forum. Even if it is your petty squabbles, at least the non-Portu speakers here can maybe learn something about your rivalries. But I can't if u keep posting in Portu, and I will NOT bother with a translation. It is just common courtesy to post in the predominant language of the FORUM!!

Sorry, you are rigth.....sorry about that...i was a little upset and my english is not perfect...

Sorry, you are rigth.....sorry about that...i was a little upset and my english is not perfect...

Baptista, your "patrício" is provocating Rio for years and yes we get on nerves about that.

Despite some trolling from Golan, I have nothing against Portugal, and hope Rio make some reference to the country in our ceremonies.

Nao gostei dessa generalização!!!!!! Portugal não é um país irrelevante a nível cultural! Aliás, o Brasil cultural, que é riquíssimo, deve muito a Portugal! Tal como deve a África ou à América do Sul! Portugal tem a sua cultura tal como o Brasil. Nenhuma é inferior!!! Além disso, e dentro do espírito olímpico, um bocadinho de respeito fica sempre bem! Adoro o Brasil e espero estar no Rio, mas acho que alguns brasileiros têm uma ideia errada da maioria dos portugueses. Venham cá e conheçam!

Lamento tê-lo ofendido mas penso que deveria devolver a agressão na mesma moeda. Seu compatriota fez piadas com mazelas sociais do Brasil e, francamente, isso não se faz. Nem metade das minhas ofensas foram sinceras e eu sou etnicamente muito luso-brasileiro e feliz com nosso patrimônio compartilhado, então pode ficar tranquilo. :)

Baron, I just told him how wonderful the Portuguese language is to throw curses and fight people. And we agreed that since you've had your share of clashes this year, we strongly recommend you to take classes in portuguese in time for Rio 2016.

Ceremonies-wise, something tells me they'll skip the 4 Elements approach they used at the PanAms. And that's a hard choice when you have to portray a sunny nation by the sea on a vast land. Birch is in the team and we could do great celebrating music and dance from all over the country. And no: no naked people.

Baptista, your "patrício" is provocating Rio for years and yes we get on nerves about that.

Despite some trolling from Golan, I have nothing against Portugal, and hope Rio make some reference to the country in our ceremonies.

I didn´t know that about my patrício...sorry... Most of the portuguese are supporting the Rio Games!! So, don´t worry about him.... B)

Oh! And i want to see the Olympic Flame in Lisbon after Olympia, Greece and before Rio in 2016!!!!! I will talk with Djilma to bring the olympic flame to Lisbon!!! :D Is just a dream!

I didn´t know that about my patrício...sorry... Most of the portuguese are supporting the Rio Games!! So, don´t worry about him.... B)

Oh! And i want to see the Olympic Flame in Lisbon after Olympia, Greece and before Rio in 2016!!!!! I will talk with Djilma to bring the olympic flame to Lisbon!!! :D Is just a dream!

It would be nice! I support such idea.

What do you want the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Team Ceremonies to do and if you get what would you like to plans for it?

I am not on the Team but want to open up this topic it will be very interesting to see what people think about it.

I would like to watch something about a brazilian legend...maybe a indigenous legend. I think this could be a interesting start to the Ceremony...

I would like to watch something about a brazilian legend...maybe a indigenous legend. I think this could be a interesting start to the Ceremony...

I think that might just be the case. What a better thread for an artistical segment than one that goes deep within Brazilian culture and history?

From my point of view, these could be the ingredients for the opening or closing ceremony:

• Amazon/Nature/River/Wildlife
  • Indigenous people/Indigenous legend
  • Mixed cultures (indigenous, african people, portuguese, italian, japanese and others...)
  • Samba/Bossa Nova/Funk/Carnival
  • Brazilian writers (Jorge Amado, Paulo Coelho, Carlos Drummond de Andrade, José de Alencar, Machado de Assis and others...)
  • Great singers and song writers (Caetano Veloso, Marisa Monte, Chico Buarque, Tom Jobim, João Gilberto and others...)
  • Telenovelas and Sítio do Pica Pau Amarelo (why not? :) )
  • The mascosts : Turma da Mónica or Zé Carioca :D

^By that, I mean that the closing ceremonies are going to be one of the most memorable in Olympic history. Sure, the opening ceremonies get much more attention, but if you're looking for a closing ceremony that people will be talking about for years to come, look no further.

^By that, I mean that the closing ceremonies are going to be one of the most memorable in Olympic history. Sure, the opening ceremonies get much more attention, but if you're looking for a closing ceremony that people will be talking about for years to come, look no further.

How do you know? Do u have a crystal ball? R u talking from a Brazilian POV?

I mean to the Greeks Athens 2004 Closing was great...but it only featured Greek artists who are known to like 11 million Greeks and another few million living abroad. Outside of Greece & the Greek communities in Toronto and Sydney, those artists were not known. U might be saying the same thing. Great Brazilian artists--like those in the Rio handover-- who will only mean something to Brazilian fans. I never heard of those artists and they perform in a language I don't use...so I don't see how their appearnace would have a lasting effect on me???

I guess they should please the homecrowd first and foreigners can have a chance to learn new music and artists from other countries. Too bad people don't speak greek or portuguese... I even felt Beijing put much emphasis on artists singing in english. IMO, the performances and songs in Rio must be in our national language because it sounds awesome and to promote portuguese to the world.

^^We don't have some Beatles or Spice Girls (!!!) to show in our handover ceremony, but we have plenty of song very known to international audience and some emerging artists to feature.

I do think Rio handover can be a great success, but for sure, London 2012 had a huge number of internationally famous people doing their performence. This was good for international audience in the Western Hemisphere.

Archived