Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

No Pelé lighting the Cauldron...

As player Pelé is loved in Brazil, as "sportsman" not much...

Probably they will choose somebody most of Brazilians will be happy...

Or they can come with something original and put one children to do it... Who knows?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rio must do it original, London wasn't as spectacular as Beijing, but was very original. I am expecting more than just a carnival.

Just because you do something differently doesn't mean you do it effectively. I think London demonstrates that.

I hope Rio produces a work of art. I'd love to see a fun celebration, but I'd like it to be thoughtfully conceived and artfully composed.

I have just two concerns ahead of Rio's ceremonies: the first is making them distinct. From what I understand, the organizers have hired Ric Birch to direct the ceremonies and he has experience with a Latin flavored ceremony after Barcelona. How to differ Rio from Barcelona, that is the challenge.

Second, I am still not happy with the cauldron being kept at a stadium that is only being used for the ceremonies and the football finals. That being said, all will be forgiven if they can display the cauldron in a visible fashion. It's still not ideal for me, but at least would be more palatable.

They could have turned Maracanã into an Olympic Stadium with the World Cup upgrade, which is actually building a whole new stadium (except for its protected exterior).

People in SkyScraperCity made some calculations and concluded that's it would be virtually impossible to do it keeping the exterior (the law avoid any change in the the exterior part) and respecting FIFA requirements. (According to them Maracana would be toooooooooo reduced in capacity)...

Let's leave the 2-stadium Loolapalooza discussions to teh days after London. We will have probably 200 pages of fights here because of it.

PS: with so tradition-breakers London did, the 2 stadium-thing will be only one more, IOC is allowing...

So we're definitely going to see carnival at the Closing Ceremony...

The Most Visible Brazilian Celebrations in London's History!

The Flag Handovers to Brazil at the end of the Olympic and Paralympic Games will be the most visible celebrations of Brazilian culture in London's history. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be part of such an event.

The Cerimonias Cariocas 2016 team carried out an intensive campaign to recruit London's most capable volunteer performers in Brazilian music and dance to ring in the celebrations. We successfully recruited an inspiring array of samba dancers, passistas, drummers and percussionists, samba de gafieira performers, and individuals who have volunteered their time and talents to celebrate Brazilian culture and to be a part of this world event. Successful applicants will perform in the Olympic Closing Ceremony on 12 August or the Paralympic Closing Ceremony on 9 September. Rehearsals will commence in the first week of July 2012.

Why Be a Volunteer?

The ceremonies of the Olympic and Paralympic Games are among the mot widely broadcast events in the world. They are a chance to perform in front of millions, as part of an amazing team. They are a chance to bring the best in London's Brazilian community even closer together to show your enthusiasm. These ceremonies will be remembered by millions of people from the around the world for years to come. They will be on the cover of every newspaper in Brazil, and you will never forget them. There will never be another opportunity like this to show your passion to the world.

The most experienced and the most passionate

There are two ways to guarantee your place in the show - great performance, or great enthusiasm. To properly represent Brazil, we're seeking the most experienced performers, but also the most passionate members of London's vast Brazilian community. If you are an experienced dancer or drummer, come show the intricacies and beauty of Brazilian dance to a true global audience. If you have no experience but love the culture and community of Brazilian performance, come to share your spirit and join the celebrations.

It's a big commitment!

We are looking for enthusiastic, talented and energetic volunteers available to participate in the significant preparation time to prepare a world-class show. We are working closely with organisers throughout the community to ensure that rehearsals do not clash with existing events, to help make this year the biggest summer of Brazilian celebration in Britain's history. Auditions for both events will be held throughout May. For the Olympic Closing Ceremony, we will be rehearsing on weekday evenings and weekends throughout July, with major rehearsals commencing from 28th July. In the week before the event, we will have a series of full-day weekday rehearsals to rehearse as a full team. Rehearsals for the Paralympic Closing Ceremony are yet to be confirmed.

I have just two concerns ahead of Rio's ceremonies: the first is making them distinct. From what I understand, the organizers have hired Ric Birch to direct the ceremonies and he has experience with a Latin flavored ceremony after Barcelona. How to differ Rio from Barcelona, that is the challenge.

Second, I am still not happy with the cauldron being kept at a stadium that is only being used for the ceremonies and the football finals. That being said, all will be forgiven if they can display the cauldron in a visible fashion. It's still not ideal for me, but at least would be more palatable.

I share your concerns, though its been a while since a solely Birch directed Summer ceremony so it I think it will be a little more fresh and different compared to Atkin's style that is becoming the common format now.

I also used to cringe regarding the stadium not being used for athletics and holding the cauldron, but after the hidden cauldron in London, I will be happy with anything as long as one can see it from outside the stadium and it is not randomly extinguished during the games. People may feel it is an overreaction to be annoyed with extinguishing of the flame, saying you can't possibly believe its the same flame, its a show and symbol. But this is the exact reason i think its important it is only a symbol and tradition, if we can't even stick to the tradition then a slippery slope from there, maybe save gas between 1am - 6am?

The order will be in Brazilian Portuguese...

I still have some doubts about how some countries will be written like North Korea and South Kores (we never use DPR Korea and Korea Republic or the equivalent in Portuguese). Indeed, Korea in Portuguese is with C - Coreia.

If we use the common-use Coreia do Sul and Coreia do Norte, both will enter the stadium almost together.

Some countries will be really moved inside the order

USA will be places between the Es: Estados Unidos da América

UK will be among the Rs: Reino Unido

Germany will be in the beggining: Alemanha

And the list goes on...

The order will be in Brazilian Portuguese...

I still have some doubts about how some countries will be written like North Korea and South Kores (we never use DPR Korea and Korea Republic or the equivalent in Portuguese). Indeed, Korea in Portuguese is with C - Coreia.

If we use the common-use Coreia do Sul and Coreia do Norte, both will enter the stadium almost together.

Some countries will be really moved inside the order

USA will be places between the Es: Estados Unidos da América

UK will be among the Rs: Reino Unido

Germany will be in the beggining: Alemanha

And the list goes on...

Cool. DPR for North and Korea for South Korea. Most likely how it will work.

@Gotosy what I meant was where will the athletes stand/sit, Maracana doesn't have the track so the infield is smaller then the previous 4 Olympics.

Quite frankly I think Rio will put on a really fun Opening ceremony but let's be real we aren't going to see an awe inspiring opening ceremony like Beijing until an EXTREMLY rich middle eastern country (DOHA) gets the Games if ever they do. Ceremonies like beijing's cost money to produce and no one is shelling out those figures again until an oil rich nation gets the go ahead

drilling the stadium and fire up an gas station ? what do they have to show more???lol

I don't think they are going to use "Reino Unido" (United Kingdom) instead of "Grã-Bretanha" (Great Britain), since GB is the common use in the Olympics.

True!!!

Grã-Bretranha, so GB will not move much in the order...

I think for Koreas we will have:

República da Coreia (South Korea)

República Popular Democrática da Coreia (North Korea)

South Africa will change a bit too: África do Sul

So which themes do you think they will use in the ceremony to present brazil to the world?

Greece used math, philosophy, theater.

China had the compass, moving typewriter, etc.

London went for the industrial revolution and the internet.

Can brazil try to claim airplanes? What else?

Pao de queijo and brigadeiro? ;)

It would be nice to Brazil present a bit more of Brazilian Santos Dummont, the inventor of the "AIRPLANE" and wristwatches.

Altough, it's a bit un-Brazilian to claim things that changed the mankind - indeed because we created few... :unsure:

But I think Brazil will carry more on nature and racial diversity, a new frontier, the future and music - too much music.

Brazilian famed scientist Miguel Nicolelis (and teams in Brazil and in the US) is working hard in the first exoskeleton that would make possible quadriplegic to walk and even shoot ball.

His goal is to make a quadriplegic make the first kick of the World Cup 2014, but the plan B is to show this in the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.

I'd say, this would be extremely emotional and a milestone for the mankind.

I do think Brazilians will make a very emotional presentation...

That's my bet.

So which themes do you think they will use in the ceremony to present brazil to the world?

Greece used math, philosophy, theater.

China had the compass, moving typewriter, etc.

London went for the industrial revolution and the internet.

Can brazil try to claim airplanes? What else?

Pao de queijo and brigadeiro? ;)

Breasts, butts & sex-plastic surgery!! :lol:

Breasts, butts & sex-plastic surgery!! :lol:

Is it Olympic Ceremony or the new show of Dr Robert Rey???

:D:lol:B);)

It's got to be the environment, the music and carnaval. Those are the key components.

You are probably right!

Archived