Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

Yeah, A. But NO bronze medalist has been tabbed to light the cauldron. The only silver (the lowest) was Midori Ito in Nagano.

Cathy Freeman had only a silver to her credit when she lit the cauldron in Sydney. Isn't that in THE BOOK?

Seriously, I think it's too early to predict who will get the honor in Rio. Who knows, maybe a major medal will be picked up in London by Brazil and whomever gets that medal will get the honor.

If we must have an Olympic hot body to thrill the crowd, there is always beach volleyball too.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree!!!

Better than some unknown Olympic athlete... laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

BTW, Ms. Paes will be the star of the next TV Globo remake of soap opera, called "Gabriela", based in a very sexy novel written by Brazilian novelist Jorge Amado.

You guys will get crazy!!!

I agree!!!

Better than some unknown Olympic athlete... laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

BTW, Ms. Paes will be the star of the next TV Globo remake of soap opera, called "Gabriela", based in a very sexy novel written by Brazilian novelist Jorge Amado.

I saw Ms. Paes in an English language film once. Her English was decent.

Mmmmm... I hope they make sure that they'll have a lot of butt shots of Juliana -- and that those clips also appear on Youtube for us international viewers. ;)

Mmmmm... I hope they make sure that they'll have a lot of butt shots of Juliana -- and that those clips also appear on Youtube for us international viewers. ;)

The scene in the roof, like the Youtube link I've posted will happen for sure!

Where's Jim? I wanted to show him the foundation stone of the construction of Maracana in 1948.

pedrafundamental1.jpg

Crédit: Arquivo Geral da Cidade do Rio de Janeiro

The first project was an athletics track.

anteprojeto.jpg

Volleyball match between Brazil and the USSR in 1983 with a public of more than 90 thousand people

maracanbraxurss2.jpg

Credit: Revista Placar

The Maracana is somehow linked to Olympics. It's in your DNA. It's in your history. This stadium deserves to host the opening ceremony and be part of Baron's next book.

Where's Jim? I wanted to show him the foundation stone of the construction of Maracana in 1948.

pedrafundamental1.jpg

anteprojeto.jpg

Volleyball match between Brazil and the USSR in 1983 with a public of more than 90 thousand people

maracanbraxurss2.jpg

Credit: Revista Placar

The Maracana is somehow linked to Olympics. It's in your DNA. It's in your history. This stadium deserves to host the opening ceremony and be part of Baron's next book.

Great post, Bezzi!! Molto obrigado. Now, if I can only get a Brazilian publisher for the 2014 edition of the book!!

pedrafundamental1.jpg

anteprojeto.jpg

Great find! I love those sort of things. Did the athletic track ever exist in life? And when did Rio first ever bid for the games - looks like it was in their mind when they first started planning the Maracana.

I don't think Jim likes being on the same board as I. I don't think he's been here since he couldn't get me kicked out from GBids.

Actually, Bezzi made the post.

Baron, I can find some contacts to you send some e-mails... Maybe you can be really lucky.

Molto Olymprigado, Danny!! How do you like that new phrase which will become popular in 2016!! :lol:

Let me get thru the new edition first, then I can address that issue. One by one, and I have to finish a play and my first novel, too (about the Olympics also). ;)

will be lit by some old legend of soccer, making Americans here in GB even more angry with the Brazilian passion about soccer and flooding the forums with hundreds of comments against Rio, Maracana, soccer and Brazil. :rolleyes:

Umm... im sure 99.9% of Americans could care less if Pele himself lights the cauldron as Soccer simply does not even register on the consciousness of the vast majority of Americans. Simply put, virtually every American I know just fails to understand why soccer would appeal to anyone, but I have never known anyone here to get 'angry' about how other societies can be passionate about it... <_<

but I have never known anyone here to get 'angry' about how other societies can be passionate about it...

Something went wrong...

but I have never known anyone here to get 'angry' about how other societies can be passionate about it...

Bgdrewsif, I need to introcude you to some american people, indeed, some are here... Like OTO and Jim...

I think you've misse some (ironic mode on) nice and elegant talking on how classy and meaningful (ironic mode off) a soccer stadium like Maracana can be for Olympic Ceremonies.

Molto Olymprigado, Danny!! How do you like that new phrase which will become popular in 2016!! :lol:

Let me get thru the new edition first, then I can address that issue. One by one, and I have to finish a play and my first novel, too (about the Olympics also). ;)

No doubts, Baron, specially between those who think they can speak Italian fluently!!! (Molto) :lol:

Anxious for those books and still with problems to set my credit card free... :(

Great post, Bezzi!! Molto obrigado. Now, if I can only get a Brazilian publisher for the 2014 edition of the book!!

Molto what? Are you really planning a portuguese version? :lol:

You gave me an idea. I will launch an english version of my book about the history of World Cup.

• 7 months later...

Cauê, it was a British-ish ceremony. Have some nice moments, some boring others, but in a overall, very nice and entertaining.

Brazil will do a Brazilian-ish ceremony, which probably will be very different, indeed, because we are very different countries.

Im hoping being a first time host that Rio doesn't go *too* traditional. I would hate to see the boring regular suspects being trotted out (ie: segment on the flora, segment on the fauna, segment on the beach goers bla bla bla)

Im hoping being a first time host that Rio doesn't go *too* traditional. I would hate to see the boring regular suspects being trotted out (ie: segment on the flora, segment on the fauna, segment on the beach goers bla bla bla)

That was exactly the PanAms opening ceremony!!!

The fauna

The flora

The beach

So, expecting something new

That was exactly the PanAms opening ceremony!!!

The fauna

The flora

The beach

So, expecting something new

Exactly.

Im just hoping they don't assume that the panams weren't given enough exposure, so it would be completely new to the majority of the world.

We will see.

Archived