6 members have voted

1. 1. The best Rugby World Cup ceremony

• New Zealand 1987
    • England 1991
    • South Africa 1995
    • Wales 1999
    • Australia 2003
    • France 2007

1991 was the first time 'World In Union' was sung, by that most Diva of Divas, Kiri TeKanawa.

For me this was the tournament when the IRB decided to make a go of it. 1987 really doesn't count as the concept of the World Cup was still treated with trepitation by the northern hemisphere unions.

I gotta confess, I can't remember watching any. At most, maybe some highlights in the news bulletins. So can't really vote.

Theres some highlights of the Opening ceremony from Sydney in 2003 but none from the others i can find. The first one i watched hole was Cardiff 1999, which was my favourite. Sydney i thought was good but trying to be too extravegant for rugby and Paris was a major letdown.

What I remember of 1999 is the roof on the stadium being opened for the first time but when Shirley Bassey sang WIU, the broadcasters couldn't keep the picture and sound in sync so she looked awkward.

Australia had a thousand school kids do this amazing stunt in the form of a rugby player scoring a try.

France, yes kind of bummer considering it was France! But then in proportion to global market share...Union is still a minor hitter, saw an artical on CNN tonight about the RWC 'way over in Noo Zeelund' quite amusing.

A tough one, there have really only been two standouts, although I must admit, I haven't really seen much of the 2007 opening ceremony.

From what I've read apparantly the 87 Opening Ceremony in Auckland was organised in the space of a few weeks by Lew Pryme, at the time the chief of the Auckland Rugby Union, who also happened to have a background in entertainment. No doubt it was a kitch but friendly enough affair with a few balloons and kids.

I remember watching the opening ceremony in Cardiff, it wasn't too bad to be honest. I remember it started off with a lil video clip, a handover of sorts, featuring *Australia* by the Manic Street Preachers (a personal favourite band of mine, so plus points for that).

It was alot of music , with a Max Boyce performance (a take on the multinational look of the Welsh team of the time), and an impressive display of the RWC logo on the field. And of course, as mentioned, the unfortunate Shirley Bassey performance.

The closing had Charlotte Church singing her *Just Wave hello* song, aswell as a lil dance routine and more Street Preachers.

I preferred the Aussie opening, though maybe it was a tad self indulgent for a rugby world cup - but I guess the Aussies were on the high of presenting a much talked about and applauded Olympic opening ceremony. Hey, and when you have as many event producers as Australia does, you gotta give them some work on their home patch - this time, Andrew Walsh. I loved the Christopher Gordon reworking of World in Union and the concept of the *One Eyed Rugby Fan* giant inflatables.

A few things seemed a tad unnecessary though , such as the ocean based segment. Funnily enough, the ceremony also continued on the infamous tradition that would develop of ceremony stunts going wrong (David Atkins has had a few). After John Eels converted *rocky's try* I believe there was supposed to be a big pyro explosion over the goalposts, but this was guzumped and never eventuated due to some overhead choppers.

..Over the top as always... <_<

But that huge walking rugby player was pretty cool.

Gotta feeling that the IRB told everyone to tone it down after '99 & '03 hence France's 'lackluster' opening.

Friday night's opening is barely 30mins long...Nice and quick.

What little of 1987 I remember are the school kids representing attending countries and Eden Park reasonable empty as first game NZ v ITA was still an hour away' people just came for the rugby in those days.

..Over the top as always... <_<

But that huge walking rugby player was pretty cool.

Gotta feeling that the IRB told everyone to tone it down after '99 & '03 hence France's 'lackluster' opening.

Friday night's opening is barely 30mins long...Nice and quick.

What little of 1987 I remember are the school kids representing attending countries and Eden Park reasonable empty as first game NZ v ITA was still an hour away' people just came for the rugby in those days.

From memory, the ARU originally asked the IRB if they would allow a stand alone ceremony on a separate night from the opening, that was denied.

I also remember the press kit from the opening, the whole ceremony was themed around the lyrics to world in union.

But agreed, perhaps abit too over the top.

I think 30minutes is a good length, enough time to put on a good show with a few segments, and not too long that it bored the rugby heads.

Archived