Music of London 2012

SkiFreak

I liked the beggining and some parts of the song, it had a Freddie Mercury touch. However it's very different to the usual olympic theme songs (though not necesarily a bad thing, since I can also feel some athletes would like to hear this song to get pumped).

Although the words "Vengeance it's mine" makes it feel a bit like a villain's song :lol: (?)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the chance, I think Florence + The Machine could've come up with something way better. They're currently my favourite group right now. Both of their albums are great and they're getting more and more exposure. Saw Snow White and the Huntsman last night and they did the end credits song so at least they're getting some exposure like that. Hopefully they perform in some way during the games. They're one of the best exports out of the UK right now.

Actually Florence is not exactly that hot now. Their first album is great but the second one is lacklustre. And also I think the fame and overexposure after the first album makes people uninterested in Florence now

The truth is, athletes are just like us (well some of us). For the most part, people in their 20s and 30s.

Would we listen to a radio station playing the lullaby tunes of you and me, or spouting lyrics about the world uniting in hope and peace. Im sure the athletes roll their eyes at the cheese fest that is some Olympic opening ceremony songs.

Hand in Hand, fantastic for the 80s, but times have changed.

Athens kind of tried to do the same thing, obviously taking a different musical angle, but the end was the same - a non conventional theme song .

This is something relevant, that still has appropriate lyrics.

Just downloaded it from itunes, even better when in studio quality.

I'm with you on this. Most Olympic songs leave me dead, little better than muzak and extreme soft listening. Apart from Amigos Para Siempre, just about none have ever stayed in my memory (certainly none of the Sydney songs feature on my iPod - actually, the song that always reminds me of Sydney is Madison Avenue's "Don't Call Me Baby - not a ceremony song, but was always on the play rotation, with other Aussie songs and rock, at all the venues during the games).

Watched the BBC clip, and I like it. Something with a bit of appeal and relevance to the average age group of the athletes.

Will be interested to see if Florence will make some kind of appearance, it appears not though. I always thought that they would be fantastic to provide the soundtrack to the cauldron lighting sequence.

Fingers crossed for a Ceremonies soundtrack, but I guess we haven't heard anything at all about that yet?

Im also sure there will a slightly more traditional ceremony song featuring at some point, some sweeping ballad which will satisfy the teary eyed.

Will be interested to see if Florence will make some kind of appearance, it appears not though. I always thought that they would be fantastic to provide the soundtrack to the cauldron lighting sequence.

Fingers crossed for a Ceremonies soundtrack, but I guess we haven't heard anything at all about that yet?

Im also sure there will a slightly more traditional ceremony song featuring at some point, some sweeping ballad which will satisfy the teary eyed.

With the drums they use in their compilations Florence +The Machine would be awesome for the cauldron lighting. This song would be cool, and it's a little edgy (fits the edginess of the whole London 2012 theme):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROtBbOcdFxo

Throw in a ton of flames and drums and it would be a wicked cauldron lighting. Better than Beijing's harnessed flying guy and Athen's giant wonder joint. B)

I can see this being played on stations across the globe as it appears to have been done in Canada. I do think London will alter the way people see the Games, I don't think the Olympics will ever be the same again. Bring it up to date and to a younger audience, thats what they needed to do, thats what the IOC wanted, and thats what is happening

Survival is not THE official song, but ONE of the official songs !

Entertainment programme

Five official songs have been composed for ‘Rock The Games’ led by chart-topping band Muse, whose track 'Survival' will be played at various sport sessions. The other four official songs are by Elton John vs Pnau, Delphic, Chemical Brothers and Dizzee Rascal.

Elsewhere, Scissor Sisters and Rizzle Kicks are just two of the artists that are set to play surprise gigs at Olympic venues. There will also be exciting performances from military marching bands and dancers including the English National Ballet, as well as sport demonstration shows.

A music library of 2,012 songs with five music themes – energy, primetime, extreme, heritage and world stage – has been compiled and will be used during the Games.

I can see this being played on stations across the globe as it appears to have been done in Canada. I do think London will alter the way people see the Games, I don't think the Olympics will ever be the same again. Bring it up to date and to a younger audience, thats what they needed to do, thats what the IOC wanted, and thats what is happening

LOL.

We are talking about a Muse song, right?

iTunes has the National Anthems album up:

http://itunes.apple....ial/id529768894

Great find! I must say, though, that I'm a bit underwhelmed by the arrangements. They heavily use cymbals, which make the arrangements sound as if they were played rather by a military band than by the London Philiharmonic Orchestra. Once in a while they also insert an odd tone, just like in the final seconds of the excerpt of the Marseillaise (when it reaches the "qu'un sang impur" in the lyrics). "God Save The Queen" also sounds a bit off.

Muse - Survival...

http://youtu.be/66molzUEkWI

I think we will be used to....

I have to say this has grown on me a lot.

I just had a quick listen to the national anthems and I'm not thrilled with the arrangements. To me they sound a bit lightweight and not from a full orchestra.

The title of the Danish anthem is also wrong, the title they give is King Christian which is the royal national anthem and this one is Der er et yndigt land which is used for non-royal occasions.

I just had a quick listen to the national anthems and I'm not thrilled with the arrangements. To me they sound a bit lightweight and not from a full orchestra.

Exactly my impression as well. Some arrangements sound flat, without real richness in sound. For example the one of the Ukrainian anthem. You can find it under the United Arab Emirates (I hope that only iTunes mixed the two anthems up! ;)). If you still have the rich choir arrangement from the EURO in your ear you'll be pretty disappointed by this one.

Muse song has REALLY grown on me, now love it. The Elton John song i was dreading but surprisingly I like that too. The only thing i am disappointed with are the anthems. They have no depth, a bit weak in my opinion.

Archived