Music of London 2012

SkiFreak

Thats you rpersonal taste - fair enough. If the London song fits with the ceremony then i may come to like it. Its just that the other games oficial songs fitted perfectly with the rest of there ceremonies. I wonder if there will be any cool stunts to accompany the song, like the huge wave cloth in Sydney during Heroes Live Forever.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening to the prelude.... from the beginning to right before the 'ah ah ah ah' choir comes in. That portion has such potential to spawn into a completely different, more typical ballad rousing type of Olympic song. The string arrangement is perfect beginning to a tear-jerking anthem!

It's a strange one.

This is actually probably the kind of music that alot of networks would use as their own music when highlighting Games highlights - as in, maybe the end titles of the days coverage.

I listen to the song, and can imagine an athlete breaking the water as they dive in, the power as a discus is launched, a wrestler dumping their opponent. It definetely fits.

Of course, I can understand those who can't place it in an Opening Ceremony, it's certainly breaking the mould. No little children waving lanterns for this one.

I just don't see music as London's weak point. The United Kingdom has too many great artists for it to be anything but an amazing display of popular, classical and ethnic music.

Think about all the artist that have been finalist for the Mercury Prize in the last decade. The only one I don't understand is Ed Sheeran. But not all British music translates. There is just too much great British music for Boyle and the other creative directors to screw this up. Unless they decide to go international and pick Justin Bieber.

It's a strange one.

This is actually probably the kind of music that alot of networks would use as their own music when highlighting Games highlights - as in, maybe the end titles of the days coverage.

I listen to the song, and can imagine an athlete breaking the water as they dive in, the power as a discus is launched, a wrestler dumping their opponent. It definetely fits.

Of course, I can understand those who can't place it in an Opening Ceremony, it's certainly breaking the mould. No little children waving lanterns for this one.

Completely agree, it best translates into the energy and pure strength, power and hunger to win for the athletes. Can totally imagine it being played in the montage of athlete striving for their best.

Little children will be running away from this song!

3951-royal-bridesmaid-covers-her-ears.jpg

Seems to me (especially having read a number of fun media pieces with athletes/rugby players etc etc about what they like to listen to on the team bus or just before an event), this is the kind of song that would feature on many Olympians Ipods.

Something that gets ya blood boiling, not with the kind of lyrics you find in some more traditional Olympic songs.

Ah well, everyones different, whatever lights ya ring I guess.

Stunning, please London have some effect that will make me change my mind about your song

Sydney had the best music for their ceremonies - traditional, powerful, olympi - esque for the opening, fun rock, pop, party for the closing

Im sure alot of what makes those songs memorable.... is the moment.

I dunno if most athletes would be too impressed at a song about being one by a little 13 year old girl. But get her to rise up to be just below a massive Olympic cauldron, and add the flame being extinguished as it appears to race across the sky...... and it makes it seem so much more emotive and special.

London just has a a song...... if they're going to use it in the ceremony..... let's see what they do with it.

Im sure alot of what makes those songs memorable.... is the moment.

I dunno if most athletes would be too impressed at a song about being one by a little 13 year old girl. But get her to rise up to be just below a massive Olympic cauldron, and add the flame being extinguished as it appears to race across the sky...... and it makes it seem so much more emotive and special.

London just has a a song...... if they're going to use it in the ceremony..... let's see what they do with it.

No it is not just the moment, it the fact that the music is powerful, it em-brassed all the stadium, everyone could feel it !!!!

This is part of the music that I am listening often in my car... so not link to the ceremony or a moment !

Again though, play We'll Be ONe, or Light the Fire Within in ya car..... and you'd think it was candy pap.

Play it in the stadium, and its certainly something special.

Play this song in the stadium, in a setting, on a special night..... who can say you won't feel the same.

To say only non-radio friendly music is appropriate seems a cry for mediocrity of music in Olympic ceremonies.

I found the dance remix of Peristeri from the Athens Opening at the end to be extremely emotive, yet it wasnt traditional at all.

There is a reason a certain kind of dance music is called *euphoric dance*. It sets the senses racing. That stuff we can't exactly put into words, but makes you feel a particular way. Talking about world peace doesn't always do that.

Watch this clip on BBC, exactly what we discussed here the music with montage of athletes in action. Absolutely perfect for that, and so dramatic!! Love how they sync the falsetto part with shots of Michael Phelps doing a victory growl! How can you say this song is not made for the Games?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-18607319

Watch this clip on BBC, exactly what we discussed here the music with montage of athletes in action. Absolutely perfect for that, and so dramatic!! Love how they sync the falsetto part with shots of Michael Phelps doing a victory growl! How can you say this song is not made for the Games?

Epic Stadium Anthem.

what comes on my mind when hearing to this song

survival= gothic,drugs,dark,extreme,loud,smokes

you and me= peace,love, happiness,glory,unity,harmony

heroes lived forever= strength,success,triumph,struggle

i believe= friendship,memories,self motivating,inspiring

what comes on my mind when hearing to this song

survival= gothic,drugs,dark,extreme,loud,smokes

you and me= peace,love, happiness,glory,unity,harmony

heroes lived forever= strength,success,triumph,struggle

i believe= friendship,memories,self motivating,inspiring

LMAO

ohhhh you forgot survival also conjuring images of dirty dirty gays snorting up lines off the back of a crack whore hooker in an s&m club

Relax ...... I think you are reading far too much into this.

Of course we would all love to live in a world of Pat Boon and beige, but we can't have everything.

Also ironic of course that You and Me was promoted by an organizing committee which was the puppet for a government who have proven to not always have the sun shining out of their rectum..... some pretty brutal things infact which certainly don't echo peace and hapiness..... but I shall say no more on that.

I'm not too familiar with Muse, but from what I can hear from 'Survival', I certainly would place them on my iPod. Its a different Olympic song then what I am used to, but I will reserve more of my judgement for when I see it being performed.

Excellent find thanks. The song isn't the highest quality and the lyrics are a bit loose (lose rhymed with fuse irks), but when it's presented like that it almost doesn't matter. Can see this working really well in the Opening Ceremony if presented right, and before certain sporting sessions to get the crowd and athletes pumped it'll be great. Obviously it'll depend on the sport as to whether it's appropriate.

But yeah, great clip.

According to Associated Press :

The song, "Survival," is a thundering rock anthem that was being broadcast for the first time Wednesday on BBC radio. It will be played during the July 27-Aug. 12 games as athletes enter the venues and before medal ceremonies.

Archived