Music of London 2012

SkiFreak

Just listened to it on the BBC Radio 1 live stream -- and it's really the song from the snippets above. It sounds like Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody thrown into the 21st century.

That's a very good description of it. There are quite a few different styles in it for people to pick and choose what bits they use.

kevzz is right - the words definitely sound more like they are for the athletes.

I quite like the guitars. Not as good at some of their other anthems like Starlight though.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dont you think they are trying hard to attract teen rather then other...? this song will get many hater from adult and children...

Muse music is def not targeted for teens. That will be One Direction's job LOL

I will puke if London does a saccharine, heart warming mushy ballad like the you and me of Beijing. It's just not Londom at all to be mellow!

Not the greatest song ever, but it's going to have some impact I reckon and the instrumentals should be huge in the stadium. So different from the usual Eurovisionesque cheese Olympic Games normally churn out.

It'll definitely pack more of a punch from the stadium's million watt sound system than from my laptop speakers.

That Beijing song is just plain awful in my opinon, each to his own I suppose.

Illustrating it with the performance from the Beijing games is a tad unfair as this song hasnt been interprited yet in the London ceremony. The Beijing shot is a stunning image, the song was dire.

Five official songs have been composed for ‘Rock The Games’, led by chart-topping band Muse whose track 'Survival' has been written for the Games and will be played at various sport sessions. The track is available for download from Thursday 28th June. The other four official songs are by Elton John vs Pnau (released July 16th) Delphic (released July 23rd), Chemical Brothers (released July 30th) and Dizzee Rascal (released August 6th).

A music library of 2012 songs with five music themes – energy, primetime, extreme, heritage and world stage – has been compiled. Each theme will be tailored for specific sports, for example heritage for Tennis at Wimbledon or extreme for BMX.

An entertainment programme will also run throughout the day from locations around the Olympic Park. Roaming performers will entertain the crowds while they explore the Park. A bandstand will also offer up-and-coming performers the opportunity to perform in front of thousands of people in the Park during the Games.

http://www.london2012.com/media-centre/article=one-month-until-the-london-2012-olympic-games.html

It's definitely growing on me after about the fourth listen. I do just want to play air guitar at points and start moshing which I must admit to not having done for many years!

LOL the climax in the end your fingers will snap trying to catch up!

I love that it builds up to an opera-tic climax with the falsetto and the choir with all the instruments. It's very battle like; perfect to play when athletes enter the arena as it is intended by the organiser.

A music library of 2012 songs with five music themes – energy, primetime, extreme, heritage and world stage – has been compiled. Each theme will be tailored for specific sports, for example heritage for Tennis at Wimbledon or extreme for BMX.

If anyone finds this list of 2012 songs, please post!

The Muse track for the Olympics is absolutely appalling and utterly inappropriate.

Trying to imagine listening to this track, as you walk into the idyllic British countryside. I just can't.

Awful awful awful song, though its more an irritating noise than a song.

I flippin love Muse, this is amazing news, the song sounds great too.

I've always thought Butterflies and Hurricanes would be a fantastic theme for these London Games, not quite as hot on this, but still excellent.

Epic.

Well chuffed they have been given the job.

Muse certainly is an interesting choice. And definately fits into the center of the British Invasion that is going on now with music. Though it is kind of amusing to see a band that has some strong counter-culture leanings being put front-and-center of a very mainstream cultural thing.

Absolutely hate the muse song, it is not Olympic anthem - inspiring material. Does not touch the great olympic anthems of the past such as The Flame, Power of the dream, Heroes live forever or the poignant and powerful Sarah Brightman Barcelona and Beijing classics.

Listening to those great anthems being sung at the opening ceremonies as a kid was one of the reasons i love the opening ceremonies, but i will be putting on my ipod if this is played on 27th July

Five official songs have been composed for ‘Rock The Games’, led by chart-topping band Muse whose track 'Survival' has been written for the Games and will be played at various sport sessions. The track is available for download from Thursday 28th June. The other four official songs are by Elton John vs Pnau (released July 16th) Delphic (released July 23rd), Chemical Brothers (released July 30th) and Dizzee Rascal (released August 6th).

An entertainment programme will also run throughout the day from locations around the Olympic Park. Roaming performers will entertain the crowds while they explore the Park. A bandstand will also offer up-and-coming performers the opportunity to perform in front of thousands of people in the Park during the Games.

http://www.london201...mpic-games.html

The last two songs will only be released during the Games. So can we assume the Muse song is the MAIN official songs and the rest are just secondary official songs? I am looking forward to the Delphic one, they are a promising but under-rated band

Absolutely hate the muse song, it is not Olympic anthem - inspiring material. Does not touch the great olympic anthems of the past such as The Flame, Power of the dream, Heroes live forever or the poignant and powerful Sarah Brightman Barcelona and Beijing classics.

Race, survival, fight, win, "

And I’ll give you my strength,

To the whole human race"

Aren't these Olympic theme enough?

Its not the words, its the musical interpretation. Something like Sing - the jubilee song would have been better. I just prefer the usual powerful, rousing official songs that i grew up with - each to their own - but for me i dont like it, sorry

Its not the words, its the musical interpretation. Something like Sing - the jubilee song would have been better. I just prefer the usual powerful, rousing official songs that i grew up with - each to their own - but for me i dont like it, sorry

Yeah I guess it's personal taste in the end. I suppose most people had grew accustomed to a certain type of music and song that relates to Olympic. I grew up really liking Reach, Amigos Para Siempres and the Sydney's ones too. Still liking them. But look at Athens, they had Bjork doing it and it's even more extreme than London's version. But it's daring and I don't mind it. London breaking the mould will raise eye-brow, but also opens the ears to a different possibility of Olympic music. At least it's more commercial than Bjork's one and easier to play in venues. Made me wonder, do they really play Oceania's a lot in all venues during Athens 2004? :)

Personally, I really don't like the Jubilee song. It's so cringe-worthy overtly sentimental mushy...

The truth is, athletes are just like us (well some of us). For the most part, people in their 20s and 30s.

Would we listen to a radio station playing the lullaby tunes of you and me, or spouting lyrics about the world uniting in hope and peace. Im sure the athletes roll their eyes at the cheese fest that is some Olympic opening ceremony songs.

Hand in Hand, fantastic for the 80s, but times have changed.

Athens kind of tried to do the same thing, obviously taking a different musical angle, but the end was the same - a non conventional theme song .

This is something relevant, that still has appropriate lyrics.

Just downloaded it from itunes, even better when in studio quality.

Archived