When will The Olympics go to Africa?

olympikfan

The IOC Has to start looking at Africa to hosting the Games.

Africa has to bid for the Games first. A lot of people were expecting them to bid for 2020 and if they did, they would have been in a good position to win. But they decided it wasn't the right time. So maybe they'll try for 2024 and there's more than a few people here who think if they do bid, it's almost a certainty they'll win. The onus is not on the IOC though. They can't award the Olympics to Africa if they don't bid for it first!

The IOC Has to start looking at Africa to hosting the Games.

2032. Why? The 2022 Commonwealth Games will be in Durban, and that means they likely will not bid for 2024. They declined 2020 for costs, but four years later say they want two big events in two years? I doubt it. And seeing as 2028 is almost a lock for Tokyo I would have to say 2032 is the earliest choice for Africa to host.

And seeing as 2028 is almost a lock for Tokyo

:blink:

Don't take the "Rule of 8" as anything but coincidence (which conveniently ignores the 1964 SOGs and 1972 Wogs). An Asian bidder may or may not win in 2028, but the IOC sure ain't reserving that spot for them. It's too early to call anybody a "lock" for 2020, much less 2024 or 2028.

:blink:

Don't take the "Rule of 8" as anything but coincidence (which conveniently ignores the 1964 SOGs and 1972 Wogs). An Asian bidder may or may not win in 2028, but the IOC sure ain't reserving that spot for them. It's too early to call anybody a "lock" for 2020, much less 2024 or 2028.

I know I did mention almost, so in that remaining chance anything can happen. The 8 rule hasn't failed us the last 4 times Asia has hosted.

The 8 rule hasn't failed us the last 4 times Asia has hosted.

It's still just about the silliest factor to base any predictions on.

Even if Asia had a strong chance at 2028, who's not to say it won't be Osaka or Shanghai or Doha or Delhi as the strongest contenders. I'd personally doubt Tokyo will keep bidding if it misses out for 2020.

I think one reason for a continental rotation is to guarantee that the Olympic Games are hold in different time zones, too, therefore the people everywhere around the world have the chance to watch them at 'their prime-time'!

North-America / South-America = one time-zone 'frame'

Europe / Africa = one time-zone 'frame'

Middle-East / Central-Asia / South-Asia = one time-zone 'frame'

East-Asia / Southeast-Asia / Australia = one time-zone 'frame'

Oceania / Pacific = one time-zone 'frame'

I think it might be more difficult for an African city to win after the previous Olympic Games are awarded to Europe (the same is valid for every other time-zone frame - therewith I doubt that we would see a 'Durban 2024' when 2020 is held in Europe.

By the way that kind of time-zone frame list shows the last major white spot : Middle-East, Central- and South-Asia olympic games wise.

so many cities flying like vultures on 2024 games. waiting for 20's final. i dont think so SA can get 24 or 28 but 32. but like to see Rio 16- Istanbul 20 - cape town 24....

all depends on 2020 race final :s but whtthefck.. Go Africa :)

I think one reason for a continental rotation is to guarantee that the Olympic Games are hold in different time zones, too, therefore the people everywhere around the world have the chance to watch them at 'their prime-time'!

I think it might be more difficult for an African city to win after the previous Olympic Games are awarded to Europe (the same is valid for every other time-zone frame - therewith I doubt that we would see a 'Durban 2024' when 2020 is held in Europe.

By the way that kind of time-zone frame list shows the last major white spot : Middle-East, Central- and South-Asia olympic games wise.

I've often thought in terms of time zones rather than continents/regions myself when I've mused on hosting spread. Though I've more thought of it as three zones - Americas, Europe-Africa-Middle East, and East Asia-Oceania.

Thing is, though, Europe has used it to it's advantage in the FIFA (Germany 2006-South Africa 2010) and Rugby (England 1991-SA 1995-Wales 1999) World Cups. I think even in the Olympics, Europe and Africa are distinct enough from each other for the time zone to be overlooked and Europe to get bonus extra time-zone friendly games.

Though for some reason, and I concede this can be debated, I think it would be less likely to see back to back Nth and South American games, or back to back Asia-Oceania games.

It's a very interesting POV. :)

I've often thought in terms of time zones rather than continents/regions myself when I've mused on hosting spread. Though I've more thought of it as three zones - Americas, Europe-Africa-Middle East, and East Asia-Oceania.

Thing is, though, Europe has used it to it's advantage in the FIFA (Germany 2006-South Africa 2010) and Rugby (England 1991-SA 1995-Wales 1999) World Cups. I think even in the Olympics, Europe and Africa are distinct enough from each other for the time zone to be overlooked and Europe to get bonus extra time-zone friendly games.

Though for some reason, and I concede this can be debated, I think it would be less likely to see back to back Nth and South American games, or back to back Asia-Oceania games.

Well, I think the rotation pattern of Olympic Games should be different than the pattern of single-sport world championships (like rugby or football)...

Furthermore I think there is not a single rotation system but several ones, which impact each other or rely on each others - e.g.:

1. the continental pattern (which follow the continental sport bodies of the national olympic commitees):

• EUROPE
  • AMERICAS
  • ASIA
  • OCEANIA
  • AFRICA (the only white spot in this pattern)

2. the time zone pattern:

• NORTH-AMERICA / SOUTH-AMERICA
  • EUROPE / AFRICA
  • MIDDLE-EAST / CENTRAL-ASIA / SOUTH-ASIA (the only white spot in this pattern)
  • EAST-ASIA / SOUTHEAST-ASIA / OCEANIA

I have no problem to include the whole Oceania in the EAST-ASIA/SOUTH-ASIA time zone system - my intention was to create a complete system around the world - and I think the Pacific is so huge that it should have an own time zone system, but I doubt that an island state is capable to host (except New Zealand)

3. the regional pattern:

• NORTH-AMERICA/Anglo-America
  • SOUTH-AMERICA/Latin-America
  • CENTRAL-EUROPE
  • NORTH-EUROPE
  • EAST-EUROPE
  • SOUTHEAST-EUROPE
  • SOUTH-EUROPE
  • SOUTHWEST-EUROPE
  • WEST-EUROPE
  • ASIA-MINOR (white spot)
  • CAUCASUS (white spot)
  • MIDDLE-EAST (white spot)
  • EAST-ASIA
  • SOUTHEAST-ASIA (white spot)
  • SOUTH-ASIA (white spot)
  • AUSTRALIA
  • PACIFIC (white spot)
  • AFRICA (white spot)

These pattern could be seperated into Summer and Winter Games also - I made a mixture here in these lists...

Africa is not ready for the games they will need to build up Sporting Events experience if Cape Town South Africa gets the 2017 World Games it will help them boost their experience in hosting Sporting events and If they also get the 2018 Gay Games and the 2019 All African Games in Cape Town which I heard that they are planning to do it will boost their experience even more then if South Africa gets the 2022 Commonwealth Games which I am picking either Durban KwaZulu-Natal or Cape Town Western Cape to be the host city for the 2022 Commonwealth Games which will bring up the leave of experience to host the Olympics and Paralympics Games.

It is too late to put in a Bid to host the 2017 Summer Universiade which FISU was encouraging South Africa Durban to make a Bid I think the 2017 Summer Universiade will go to Brasilia Brazil but if they put in a Bid to host the 2019 Summer Universiade I think they will win it will boost their experience even more. So in that I do not think it will be ready in the 2020s to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games but I am putting my money on 2036 in Cape Town Western Cape South Africa. Which after all those events that they hosted leave to time to re coop and get the Economy bigger 2022-2027 is a good time to re coop and make some money for the Olympics Games which will make a good timing for the 2036 Games still long way off to the African Games though.

Not ready? South Africa hosted the World Cup The BIGGEST EVENT in the world. It takes a city to host the Olympics but a country to hold the World Cup. Come on people if a country can host the World Cup the Olympics are a cake walk.

There is no other more complicated project in this world than organising the summer olympic games and this is is acknowledged worlwide (even by some african officials recently...). The fact that the World Cup is taking place in a bunch of cities does not make it the BIGGEST EVENT in the world. There are other factors too, like the number of participants, the number of sports, the range and the diversity of the required infrastucture, the huge operating requirements etc...

Not ready? South Africa hosted the World Cup The BIGGEST EVENT in the world. It takes a city to host the Olympics but a country to hold the World Cup. Come on people if a country can host the World Cup the Olympics are a cake walk.

World Cup

12 venues in 11 to 12 cities

32 countries participate with total attendance of probably 3000 including players, officials and media

extra persons in host city range between 20,000 and 50,000

hotel rooms required 10,000ish

Olympics

28 to 35 venues, 24 to 28 within one city

202 countries participating with a total attendance of 20,000 including athletes, officials and media

extra persons in host city range between 100,000 and half a million

hotel rooms require at least 50,000

I would have given you a negative vote if I could. The World Cup the biggest event? hardly. Hosting the Olympics a cakewalk? Never.

World Cup

12 venues in 11 to 12 cities

32 countries participate with total attendance of probably 3000 including players, officials and media

extra persons in host city range between 20,000 and 50,000

hotel rooms required 10,000ish

Olympics

28 to 35 venues, 24 to 28 within one city

202 countries participating with a total attendance of 20,000 including athletes, officials and media

extra persons in host city range between 100,000 and half a million

hotel rooms require at least 50,000

+1

And think about this:

July 13th, 2010 Durban, South Africa: Germany vs. Australia total attendance 62,660

August 1st, 2012 London, United Kingdom: 51 total sessions with a possible total attendance of almost 500,000. Or about 9x as many people.

And think about this:

July 13th, 2010 Durban, South Africa: Germany vs. Australia total attendance 62,660

August 1st, 2012 London, United Kingdom: 51 total sessions with a possible total attendance of almost 500,000. Or about 9x as many people.

how about this what is the number one sport in the world Football, Olympics two weeks world cup one month remember 2002 japan/Korea rating for the world cup over a billion and shown live around the world not tape delay. Think most of the stadiums were sold out and the final game of the world cup remember over a hundred thousand in Madrid watching you don't get that for an Olympics. Even Euro 2012 is big.

olympikfan your view of sporting events is over simplistic. Before it was the number of the cities, now it is the duration! About tv ratings, the ridiculous claims of FIFA have already been proven wrong. Please take a look:

http://www.google.gr/url?q=http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/why-fifas-claim-of-one-billion-tv-viewers-was-a-quarter-right-438302.html&sa=U&ei=RRNqTu6iAuPe4QTI0PWSBQ&ved=0CA4QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGYFzAmljNge6vw4lPlEpQd0_Qgbw

http://www.google.gr/url?q=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article6256063.ece&sa=U&ei=rBRqTpWpCueQ4gSV-43KBA&ved=0CA8QFjAB&usg=AFQjCNG0tAKMA6h_3gKEftznPhtkD655BQ

I do not think that we have the technical possibility to compare the World Cup and the Olympics because they are completely different type events. Even so, i am willing to admit that the Word Cup has higher tv ratings. What is that supposed to mean? Everything in this world is measured by tv ratings? Does these numbers make the World Cup the biggest and most difficult to organise event?? In my humble opinion the Olympic Games remain the most prestigious sporting event in the world...

Btw if South Africa believes that the country has already hosted the biggest event in the world, then they can totally snub the olympics. However with this attitude it is doubtful that a SA city can win a possible bid...

how about this what is the number one sport in the world Football, Olympics two weeks world cup one month remember 2002 japan/Korea rating for the world cup over a billion and shown live around the world not tape delay. Think most of the stadiums were sold out and the final game of the world cup remember over a hundred thousand in Madrid watching you don't get that for an Olympics. Even Euro 2012 is big.

olympikan, here's a question for you.. what CITY is ready to host an Olympics? Not to say hosting a World Cup is an easy undertaking, but it's a lot simpler to spread an event across multiple cities (especially when they're only hosting a single game once every 4-5 days) than it is to ask 1 city to host a multi-sport competition every day for 2 1/2 weeks. Think about the United States.. they could host the World Cup tomorrow if they had to without breaking a sweat. But the Olympics?.. name me the American city that is ready to host the Olympics right this minute. There isn't one for all the infrastructure and venues it requires. So how could South Africa be so automatic to offer that up after just spending as much as they did to host a World Cup? It's not that simple just because they hosted a World Cup. The Olympics is a completely different event.

The Beijing Opening Ceremonies had about 3 billion not on tape delay.

Archived