03.01. Atatürk Olympic Stadium

We have been using 50 km BRT system for 4 years, it connects all possible venues(including Olympic Park) to the city center and it has also connections with tram, metro and light rail at main stations.

Olimpik, what is BRT? .. plizz .. I don't know it. :mellow::(

A view of the Olympic Stadium towards the Little-Lake (see previous page last message for "Little Lake picture"

(southwards taken photo)

istanbulolympicstadium0.jpg

PHOTO 10 // Picutre taken on 27 August 2010 // The surroundings will be transformed in a truly Olympic Park (greenery)

Source Photo 10 ==> http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134&start=435

BRT: Bus Rapid Transit or what we call here is Metrobus. There is this specific lane dedicated for buses. It functions as rapid rail system but with buses.

Ok.. now I understand it. Yes, it exists 4 years now in the metropolitan city. I will start this weekend a topic about this item. It needs a new topic too. Because it is a totally network on its own. Expansions will be made in the near years to come. ;)

Here we have 2 pictures about the tests with the new alstom Wagons from the city center to the Olympic Stadium/Park.

(In the first phase about 50 vagons are in the metro-hangars)

PHOTO 10 // Picture taken 11 April 2010

Source photo 10 ==> http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67934&start=90

PHOTO 11 // Picture taken 11 April 2010

Source photo 11 ==> http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67934&start=100

Fatih,

do you know if it is planned to enlarge the tribunes in the part where the track has the two curves? I fear that the open sides let the wind into the stadium, which isn't really good for athletics...

I like the map with the airport and the bay in the background - since you get a better impression - do you think that an arena and the aquatic cneter will be built in the area of the Olympic Stadium too?

• 1 year later...

I am wondering the ceremonies stadium has a track so why not hold track there.

That's just an artist's early rendering. Of course, it will NOT have a track. It's just a stadium that will have a view of old Istanbul from the Asian side...so they can have a great fireworks show over the Bosphorus and light up the old Istanbul landmarks. For that purpose, you don't need a track.

I am wondering the ceremonies stadium has a track so why not hold track there.

It's an illustrative track as Baron says, but it's not an athletics track (it'll just be something they put in for the ceremonies so the athletes have a path to follow).

Secondly, this is a stadium with a huge gaping hole at one end. I've been to Istanbul and stood by the waterfront and it can get very, very windy. I can't imagine how bad this stadium would be if they tried to put the athletics in it, even if it did fit.

Someone on SSC made this little mock-up to show the scale of the infield:

C4P2VXS.png

How does moving T&F to Bosphorus solve anything, when the OV is still all the way across the city. On the contrary, it creates even more logistical headaches when having to constantly move those athletes across the city on any given day, when they can just walk to their events at Ataturk.

They should think about a gorgeous opening ceremony just to make Ataturk Stadium a real monument to be visited (like Barcelona) or redesign its look to a very iconic and appealing to the 21st century (like Beijing), so everyone will remember it as an exceptional modern feature of the city and there won't be any need of showing Sultanahmet.

Or maybe both, so that still will be cheaper than OV and avoid the challenging logistics.

Archived