Doha Olympic plans

Qatarson explained that earlier that is part of the Greater Doha area.

So what, if NYC had proposed a stadium in Medowlands, New Jersey as the main stadium for it's 2012 bid, then that would be acceptable because it's part of the Greater New York Region? Phuleez! ;)

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't matter, you can count it as a city on it's own or a mere suburb, all the rules can be twisted and played with according to desires,, ,,. Doha 2006 Asian games ceremonies took place in khalifa stadium (Alrayyan municipality / city / whatever) but it's still part of Doha in general. So it's all good....

When the money's talking....

It doesn't matter, you can count it as a city on it's own or a mere suburb, all the rules can be twisted and played with according to desires,, ,,. Doha 2006 Asian games ceremonies took place in khalifa stadium (Alrayyan municipality / city / whatever) but it's still part of Doha in general. So it's all good....

The Olympic Charter can be twisted??????

The Olympic Charter (34.1): "The Opening and Closing Ceremonies must take place in the host city itself"

The Lusail Iconic Stadium is not in Doha municipality, is in Al Daayen, that is a big mistake and perhaps a big problem for Doha 2020...

So what, if NYC had proposed a stadium in Medowlands, New Jersey as the main stadium for it's 2012 bid, then that would be acceptable because it's part of the Greater New York Region? Phuleez! ;)

Ain't trying to defend Doha its my least favourite bid just trying to say what the defenders of the bid had to say.

^^ Yes, of course, but it's technically not a part of Doha, so unless the IOC makes a big exception, requests Doha to change it's venue, or Qatar has clearly stated that Lusail is just a district or whatever of Doha, then Doha will not win, perhaps not even advance to the Candidate stage, because of this mere technicality.

But any technicalities would have to be taken care of at the candidate stage, because once a city makes the shortlist, the IOC has already given the green light to that city. And politics sometimes gets in the way of what making the shortlist is all about - technical merit.

^^ Yes, of course, but it's technically not a part of Doha, so unless the IOC makes a big exception, requests Doha to change it's venue, or Qatar has clearly stated that Lusail is just a district or whatever of Doha, then Doha will not win, perhaps not even advance to the Candidate stage, because of this mere technicality.

I hope they don't make it through which means Baku will be clumped in with them. Although I am impressed with Baku's bid.

^^ Hmm that over the top relay (although they can rightfully claim that they were the first) doesn't come cheap. Athens produced 1,000's of torches specifically for that relay.

14,000+ torches. Those were made in Australia. Come 2008, China cornered the market on cheap, mass-produced torches - Beijing 2008 (26,440 torches made for 2008), Jinan 2009, Guangzhou-Asian 2010, Singapore YOG 2010, Guadalajara 2011; Innsbruck YOG 2012, and Nanjing 2014 YOGs, Only Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 escaped China's cheap labor clutches and had their torches home-made in their respective countries.

"Winter Games in 2014. Report by the IOC Candidature Acceptance Working Group to the IOC Excecutive Board" 28.04.2006 Page 19:

"The Jaca bid states that the Opening and Closing Ceremonies would take place in the city of Zaragoza. This is contrary to the Olympic Charter which requires that these ceremonies take place in the Host City"

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Reports/EN/en_report_1073.pdf

Is the same case that Doha and the Lusail Stadium in Al Daayen...

I agree with ñuto. It was because of the Jaca ceremonies in Zaragoza why Doha's proposal caught my attention too. And I have to admit I like a lot Doha's project but the Olympic Charter is very clear on that. Even on Lusail's official website they call themselves "Qatar's future city", so it is not Doha at all. This can be the perfect excuse for the IOC to eliminate Doha, and although it may benefit Madrid I think I wouldn't like that, their project is good enough to be shortlisted (they also deserved it for 2016).

Reality check:

- distance from Jaca Olympic Village to Zaragoza Olympic Stadium: 145 km

- distance from Doha Olympic Village to Lusail's Olympic Stadium: 17km (shorter BTW than the distance between Rio Olympic Village and the Maracana)

The IOC never had an issue with Paris proposing twice the Stade de France, which is in St Denis, not Paris, as its Olympic Stadium.

There are many valid questions with Doha's plan but trying to use Lusail as a reason not to shortlist them just proves that some are very scared of the Qatari.

Saint Denis is not in the city of Paris, but is in the "Paris aire urbaine" ("metropolitan area"): Paris, Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint Denis and Val-de-Marne, that has administrative structure. Is there something similar in the area of Doha?

But your are right, the Paris bid also had to be penalized for locating the ceremonies outside the city.

Tokyo´s example is worth because there is an administrative structure called Tokyo-to (Tokyo Metropolis o Tokyo Prefecture) with a goverment (Tokyo Metropolitan Government), is there something similar in the area of Doha?

One question:

-Why for the World Cup bid the Lusail Stadium was in Al Daayen and now is in Doha?

Reality check:

- distance from Jaca Olympic Village to Zaragoza Olympic Stadium: 145 km

- distance from Doha Olympic Village to Lusail's Olympic Stadium: 17km (shorter BTW than the distance between Rio Olympic Village and the Maracana)

Yes, that's true. Jaca's proporsal was nonsense and they were fairly penalized. Of course if the stadium only 17 km from the village it's not really a serious issue, but still it could be argued that it's not within Doha itself.

There are many valid questions with Doha's plan but trying to use Lusail as a reason not to shortlist them just proves that some are very scared of the Qatari.

On the contrary, if I don't like this proposal is because I actually want Doha to be shortlisted ;)

If you said so, then Tokyo will ultimately out of the race, because actually there is no city called Tokyo, Tokyo is a prefecture consist of 43 cities, so the bid should be Shinjuku 2020, city where the national stadium lies....

However Tokyo is divided, if Shinjuku is one of those 43 cities, then it is Tokyo :P

And speaking of what is a city and what is not, I still don't know what PyeongChang is and they were awarded the Olympics :lol: :lol:

Tokyo´s example is worth because there is an administrative structure called Tokyo-to (Tokyo Metropolis o Tokyo Prefecture) with a goverment (Tokyo Metropolitan Government), is there something similar in the area of Doha?

One question:

-Why for the World Cup bid the Lusail Stadium was in Al Daayen and now is in Doha?

Because actually for FIFA case, a city could only has maximum 2 stadium that could be used to host the World Cup Final, so actually, if FIFA isn't corrupt and they stick to their own rules, then Qatar won't win the 2022 FIFA world cup, they have about 6 stadia in 1 city, FIFA wants minimum 8 cities to be the host, but we know how corrupt FIFA, and how the Qatar use that to win their bid... Now in Olympic case, the main stadia and the olympic village should be in 1 city, that's why, now Qatar chance the Lusail status...

'Cause FIFA doesn't want too many od the venues within one city, but IOC does... that's all. They just wanted to make the executive committee feel that Doha is not the only city in Qatar.

Right, was a rhetorical question...:)

The change of "location" is just a strategy that deserves comment...

I see... It's a strange host anyway, the Olympics had always been awarded to cities before, but I guess it doesn't really matter now :P

I'm talking about PyeongChang, not about Doha or Qatar's World Cup ;)

Mmh.... From what I read, actually Pyeongchang status is same as Lillehammer and Albertville, so actually this is not the 1st time for the WOG

Right, was a rhetorical question... :)

The change of "location" is just a strategy that deserves comment...

That's why this is our chance to know, how corrupt the IOC, would they make the same corruption as FIFA did or they'll stick to their own rules :

Guys you can't be serious, if the ioc needs to say something they would have spoken already at the 2016 bid, the Olympic ceremonies were going to take place In Alrayyan Municipality which on it's own has a major chunk of Doha.... But no it's not an issue, because it was Doha 2006, Doha 2011 and now Doha 2020.

I hope it's clearer now.

This is really pathetic...

The example of Paris bids show that this rule of the Olympic Charter should be applied in its spirit: it is meant to re-emphasise that there is one host city. Even if the opening ceremony were to take place in al Daayen, a city that no one has heard about outside of Qatar and that, in all good faith, can be seen as a suburb of Doha, no one would refer to the 2020 Olympics as the "Al Daayen Olympics" but as the Doha.

If indeed the IOC has an issue with it, it will say so in May and the Doha 2020 bid committee will still have plenty of time to address the issue (Kalifa Stadium being a perfect plan B).

Doha won't be eliminated because of this...

I really suggest that the Madrid supporters work on explaining why Madrid is a good choice rather than what the other candidates have against them....

Archived