Doha Olympic plans

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geographic hair-splitting. In terms of global perception, all 3 would still be viewed as "Muslim", no matter if they're in "central Asia, West Asia , central Europe or east, east Europe. Just like an American Games in the East coast, west coast, Midwest, South, New England or Pacific Northwest would still be globally viewed as "American". What would be the deciding factor is which of these 3 candidates could provide the most & compelling factors. And only one of them stand out.

Doha = Arab

Istanbul & Baku = Non-Arab

End of story.

The difference being Iran has allowed women to compete at an Olympic Games!!

I have clarified the Women issue several times,. Its not Qatar's problem, its the IOC and the qualification process.

I can agree with the Arab/non-Arab statement above.

I do not agree with the statement about women. The Qatari culture marginalized them and treats them as second-class citizens or worse. Pretending it's somehow the IOC's fault that Qatar has no female athletes is ludicrous.

Even if one agreed that the IOC was somehow responsible for overly demanding standards, other countries seem to manage. Does a nation that can't find a single woman capable of meeting the current qualifying standards deserve to host the world's biggest sporting event? No.

I can agree with the Arab/non-Arab statement above.

I do not agree with the statement about women. The Qatari culture marginalized them and treats them as second-class citizens or worse. Pretending it's somehow the IOC's fault that Qatar has no female athletes is ludicrous.

Even if one agreed that the IOC was somehow responsible for overly demanding standards, other countries seem to manage. Does a nation that can't find a single woman capable of meeting the current qualifying standards deserve to host the world's biggest sporting event? No.

I replied to the treatment of women part in the other thread,

Proper women team sports have been formed only a couple of years ago (less than 5), recently the Basketball team won the GCC Championship. The Qatar women sports committee have been formed recently as well, it will take time for all these aspects to properly develop. This is why Qatar is hosting all theses sport events, its not to show off its sports abilities rather to encourage and accelerate the formation of strong national sport athletes and teams.

The combination of Qatar women sports committee, Schools Olympic Program and Aspire Sports Academy are the stepping stones towards a brighter future for Qatari Sports.

^^ Qatars total population is 1.7 HOWEVER Qataris actually are only 250-300K. So yes the population factor still counts.

Are you implying only 300 000 people in Qatar are eligible for Olympic qualification? I don't see the benefit in giving the Olympics to a country where only 300 000 eligible people stand to benefit from a sporting legacy.

Every other CITY (let alone country) with populations of much larger than 300 000 have been ridiculed here on Gamesbids (Minneapolis and even Tulsa!). The claim of representing the entire Arab world is dubious at best. Egypt or Saudi Arabia would have a better claim to representing the entire Arab world, once they are ready. If Qatar could represent the entire world, I'd like my family to host the Olympics and represent the Americas.

Are you implying only 300 000 people in Qatar are eligible for Olympic qualification? I don't see the benefit in giving the Olympics to a country where only 300 000 eligible people stand to benefit from a sporting legacy.

Every other CITY (let alone country) with populations of much larger than 300 000 have been ridiculed here on Gamesbids (Minneapolis and even Tulsa!). The claim of representing the entire Arab world is dubious at best. Egypt or Saudi Arabia would have a better claim to representing the entire Arab world, once they are ready. If Qatar could represent the entire world, I'd like my family to host the Olympics and represent the Americas.

The only Arab cities that ever bid for the Olympics were Alexandria(1936) & Cairo(2008), both weren't close to winning not to mention lack of creditably towards the abilities of these cities. No other city has bid for the Olympics clearly showing how VERY interested they are to getting the Olympics, why should these countries be given priority when they don't even bother to bid !? Im pretty sure we wont see an Olympics any time soon in Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Yemen, Syria, Libya or Iraq (Minimum of 20 years) :o

Doha will always offer the most serious bid from the Arab world (ex: High budgets, More than 70% of sport facilities ready) not to mention the least with problems (Ex: Highest GDP per capita, Unemployment at 0.02%, Nation wide fiber optic connections by 2016, Gender equality, World class sport facilities) ;)

Ans BTW yes, Qatar CAN represent the Arab World if it needs to (2006 Asian Games ? 2022 World Cup ?) :D

Doha = Arab

Istanbul & Baku = Non-Arab

End of story.

Whatever. They are all still Muslim nonetheless, N all within 500 miles of one another. So basically all within the same region, as well. So what if Istanbul & Baku don't speak Arabic. Does that make Spain & Austria any less Catholic because they don't speak Italian? Ridiculous.

People on the outside, looking in, aren't going to care about the trivial idiosyncrasies of the area, just like I'm sure you don't about other parts of the world & their minor dissimilarities. Everything else apart from the obvious differences, is nothing but complete & utter bias.

Whatever. They are all still Muslim nonetheless, N all within 500 miles of one another. So basically all within the same region, as well. So what if Istanbul & Baku don't speak Arabic. Does that make Spain & Austria any less Catholic because they don't speak Italian? Ridiculous.

People on the outside, looking in, aren't going to care about the trivial idiosyncrasies of the area, just like I'm sure you don't about other parts of the world & their minor dissimilarities. Everything else apart from the obvious differences, is nothing but complete & utter bias.

I didnt speak about being Muslim or not, i have tried to keep religion out of this anyways. Unless someone here has your suggested point of view then there is a problem. otherwise there isn't one.

There is a clear difference between Arabs and Non-Arabs, Arab states in total are 22 covering areas in Western Asia and Northern Africa.

I replied to the treatment of women part in the other thread,

Proper women team sports have been formed only a couple of years ago (less than 5), recently the Basketball team won the GCC Championship. The Qatar women sports committee have been formed recently as well, it will take time for all these aspects to properly develop. This is why Qatar is hosting all theses sport events, its not to show off its sports abilities rather to encourage and accelerate the formation of strong national sport athletes and teams.

The combination of Qatar women sports committee, Schools Olympic Program and Aspire Sports Academy are the stepping stones towards a brighter future for Qatari Sports.

It really seems like you're putting the cart before the horse.

Once Qatar has world-class female athletes, THEN they will be worthy of hosting the Games -- not before. There are plenty of other ways to foster women's involvement in sport without hosting the Games. Qatar needs to pay their dues first and that may take decades. Otherwise any nation can claim,"we don't have any athletes right now, but if you give us the Games, we will." The reasoning is totally backwards.

PyeongChang had a much better case. At least they've won medals in the Winter Games. Qatar has a measly two bronze medals won by two imported, non-native-born athletes. They absolutely do not deserve the Games.

I didnt speak about being Muslim or not, i have tried to keep religion out of this anyways.

There is a clear difference between Arabs and Non-Arabs, Arab states in total are 22 covering areas in Western Asia and Northern Africa.

So Y bring language & culture into it, then. Does that really matter if religion does not? Did the IOC award Rio simply because a Portuguese-speaking, Latin nation has never hosted an Olympic Games, or Beijing because no Mandarin-speaking, Asian nation ever hosted the Games prior to 2008? No, they did not. So I don't see what being Arab has to do with anything. It could be part of the equation, but it's not everything.

Whatever. They are all still Muslim nonetheless,

Seriously?? They are "all Muslim"... that makes them all the same?

So what if Istanbul & Baku don't speak Arabic.

The "so what" is that they aren't Arab, and calling them Arabs makes you look like in ignorant fool

Does that make Spain & Austria any less Catholic because they don't speak Italian?

See above, looking like an ignorant fool

People on the outside, looking in, aren't going to care about the trivial idiosyncrasies of the area,

Trivial idiosyncrasies?? See above, re looking like an ignorant fool

Once Qatar has world-class female athletes, THEN they will be worthy of hosting the Games -- not before.

In what year did that become a requirement for hosting?

Never mind hosting the thing, Qatar is on a list of countries who've receieved a warning from the IOC about this issue with regard to merely competing:

Anita DeFranz, current head of the IOC's Women and Sports Commission, has warned Saudi Arabia that any country that didn't allow women to compete in the Olympics wouldn't be allowed to send a delegation of athletes to next summer's games. In response, the Middle Eastern kingdom's respective Olympic Committee has announced that women are welcome to join the Olympic team. As long as they don't actually live in Saudi Arabia.

The IOC isn't singling out Saudi Arabia; Brunei and Qatar, the two other countries who have never sent a female competitor to the Games, were also called out. Saudi Arabia was the last to respond to DeFranz's warning.

And just because something isn't a requirement, doesn't mean it isn't important. Giving the Games to a nation which has never had a woman compete at an Olympics would send out all the wrong messages, much as sending the world cup to a nation that hasn't come close to qualifying to one does.

"Putting the cart before the horse" is a very nice way of putting it Athensfan.

Thanks, Rob.

Just because something isn't in the rule book doesn't mean that it doesn't matter or that the UOC won't pay attention to it.

Why should an essentially non-sporting nation host the world's greatest sporting event? Because they will pay any price for a status symbol -- that's the only argument for Doha.

Aargh. Read IOC....

Seriously?? They are "all Muslim"... that makes them all the same?

The "so what" is that they aren't Arab, and calling them Arabs makes you look like in ignorant fool

See above, looking like an ignorant fool

Trivial idiosyncrasies?? See above, re looking like an ignorant fool

What did FYI do to deserve that response?

All FYI said was that Qatar is nothing special. They're not the only bidder here to represent Muslims and the Middle East, so if they want the Olympics based on those grounds, then they can wait in line because Turkey can offer all that.

And it doesn't matter if Qatar is Arabic and Turkey isn't. Neither is Iran, but if Iran were ever to host, they'd represent the Middle East whether they're Arab or not.

I think there are two separate issues here:

1.) how people prefer to identify themselves ethnically and culturally. Qatar is Arabic. Turkey is not. Out of respect, we should acknowledge those differences.

2.) how the IOC will view the bids geopolitically. Though Turkey straddles Europe and Asia, the IOC will probably not see a huge geopolitical distinction between awarding the Games to Turkey and awarding them to Qatar. This is not cultural insensitivity, it's just the highly subjective way the IOC works as they try to move the Games around the globe.

I think there are two separate issues here:

1.) how people prefer to identify themselves ethnically and culturally. Qatar is Arabic. Turkey is not. Out of respect, we should acknowledge those differences.

2.) how the IOC will view the bids geopolitically. Though Turkey straddles Europe and Asia, the IOC will probably not see a huge geopolitical distinction between awarding the Games to Turkey and awarding them to Qatar. This is not cultural insensitivity, it's just the highly subjective way the IOC works as they try to move the Games around the globe.

Of course we respect that Qatar is Arabic and Turkey is not. The point is that just because most countries in the Middle East are Arabic, doesn't mean an Arabic country needs to represent the Middle East for an Olympics.

It's the exact same as someone arguing that in order to represent South America in hosting an Olympics, the country must be Catholic and Spanish-speaking. Brazil doesn't speak Spanish like all its neighbours but that doesn't take away from the fact they'll be representing South America. Same with Turkey, they still represent the Middle East.

All FYI said was that Qatar is nothing special. They're not the only bidder here to represent Muslims and the Middle East, so if they want the Olympics based on those grounds, then they can wait in line because Turkey can offer all that.

And it doesn't matter if Qatar is Arabic and Turkey isn't. Neither is Iran, but if Iran were ever to host, they'd represent the Middle East whether they're Arab or not.

Yes Qatar is a special case here, if chosen it would be the first Arab nation to host the games. And Yes it does matter because:

Doha is bidding in the name of 22 Arab Countries and 339,510,535 persons living in them ;)

Yes Qatar is a special case here, if chosen it would be the first Arab nation to host the games. And Yes it does matter because:

Ok but what makes being an Arab, Middle East and Muslim entity more special than just being a Middle East and Muslim entity? You keep saying that Qatar is special because they're the only Arab bidder. But what makes it so special? Is it just the population?

Oooo finally!!! :D the IOC will punish Saudi Arabia if they dont send a woman!!! Those are great news, and with Qatar sending 4, it will mean that finally we've reached another chapter. Equality....

Awarding the games to Istanbul will mean awarding the games to a unique region, so even thpugh its part Europe and part Asia, the 2024 can be a European host and the IOC will not mind.

Now.... If the IOC wants to go to an Arab country they should try Casablanca first...

I never called them "all" Arabs. What I said in reference to "Qatar Sons" post was; 'so what' if Qatar is Arab & Turkey & Azerbaijan is not. What's the real compelling point in his argument. I never made a general statement that they were all Arabs. So go learn how to read & correctly interpret what you read.

And yeah, I'm the "ignorant fool". This is coming from the idiot that thinks piddly Tulsa could make a legitimate case for the Olympics, & in order for woman to compete at the Olympic Games there should be an IOC "requirement", yeah okay. Whatever.

Do me a favor, please. If you can't debate without being a complete as$wipe S.O.B., then just go **** off. I don't need such provacative "ignorant" crap coming from a two-bit clown. At least Qatar Son is gracious enough & can actually try to rebut his arguments & passions without being a fuc&!ng d!ck about it like you. So thank you, Qatar son for your graciousness.

Thank you, Gangwon. At least some on these boards know how to interpret what they read.

Of course we respect that Qatar is Arabic and Turkey is not. The point is that just because most countries in the Middle East are Arabic, doesn't mean an Arabic country needs to represent the Middle East for an Olympics.

It's the exact same as someone arguing that in order to represent South America in hosting an Olympics, the country must be Catholic and Spanish-speaking. Brazil doesn't speak Spanish like all its neighbours but that doesn't take away from the fact they'll be representing South America. Same with Turkey, they still represent the Middle East.

Precisely, Gangwon. And it's what I've been trying to say all along.

Archived