Doha Olympic plans

The capslock gave me a hard time concentrating :lol:

quote name='intoronto1125' timestamp='1324679030' post='328246']

1) WHY HASN'T A WOMEN FROM QATAR EVER COMPETED AT AN OLYMPIC GAMES? DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN. QUALIFICATION IS NOT NEEDED HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF WILDCARD PLACES IN SWIMMING AND ATHLETICS?

In the Asian Games 2006 & 2010, Youth Olympics 2010 and Arab Games 2011. All Qatari teams had included women athletes. In fact in the Arab Games that were closed yesterday the Qatari delegation consisted of 40% Women. The first time a female swimmer was included on the swimming team for any multi-national event was this Arab Games, check the link i gave you recently. I'm not so sure about athletics though.

2) MORE ATHLETES DOES NOT MEAN MORE MEDALS! (FOR EX. NORWAY WON MORE MEDALS THEN RUSSIA AT THE VANCOUVER GAMES) IS IT OUR FAULT QATAR HAS SUCH A LOW POPULATION? NO THIS ISN'T THE ASIAN GAMES THESE ARE THE OLYMPICS.
Yes i know that, but what i meant is that there would be a higher Qatari participation if the country was to host the Olympics. Did I/WE blame anyone for having a small population ? The Asian Games and Arab Games quotes are good enough examples of showing how Qataris do much better in events that are held at home.
3) HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE MARATHON? WALKS? THOSE CAN'T HAPPEN IN THE DARK DUE TO SAFETY CONCERNS.

The 2017 Doha IAAF bid included a night marathon on the Doha Corniche right after the opening ceremony at Khalifa Stadium. There is absolutely no saftey concern for such an event. Infact motoGP races are held at night at Losail Race Track in Qatar and they are going fine, same floodlighting techniques could be used for the marathons walks, not to mention that racing cars require way more concentration than marathons/walks. The same concept of the ex-2017 bid could be used for Doha.

4) SURE THEY HOSTED BEFORE I AGREE THAT OTHER CITIES SHOULD GET THE CHANCE BUT ISTANBUL WOULD BE THE BEST CHOICE OUT OF THE CITIES BIDDING.

Doha however would be the first Arab/Middle Eastern city to host the games, unlike Istanbul or Baku (they are non-middle eastern, non-Arab and European)

I understand, but how exactly does it relate to the Doha bid ?

7) PURELY AN OPINION WHY SHOULD SUCH A SMALL COUNTRY HOST?

Why not ? It wouldn't be fair if the reason is just for it being small, besides its about the city not the country.

8) IT IS GENERALLY ACCEPTED QATAR BOUGHT THE BID, ASK EVERYONE HERE. OBVIOUSLY FIFA ISN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT SO IT DOESN'T SHAME THE ORGANIZATION. OH AND WHO WAS THE FIRST PERSON SUSPENDED WHEN THE FIFA CORRUPTION SCANDAL STARTED? A QATARI.

Trust me, even Qataris KNOW that this happened, HOWEVERA again i will remind you that OFFICIALLY the IOC or any other organization/person has no right to actually claim it due to lack of any form of evidence confirming it. Bin Hammam on the other hand is a completely different story not related to Doha 2020 at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the same in these facts: Well, I think the fact that a marathon and walks at night??? Man! That's crazy! :S

Also the corruption fact in FIFA was way to obious maybe.

I would like to see Doha hosting JUST a FINA championships.

By the way good to see a member from Qatar, you can help us with Doha's info ;)

Do you know when will Doha's logo be unvieled?

Why would you like Qatar to only host a FINA championships ?

In 2009 Doha hosted FINA world diving series.

I'm not sure, QOC haven't given any clue on when the logo might be released.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The capslock gave me a hard time concentrating :lol:

quote name='intoronto1125' timestamp='1324679030' post='328246']

1) WHY HASN'T A WOMEN FROM QATAR EVER COMPETED AT AN OLYMPIC GAMES? DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WOMEN. QUALIFICATION IS NOT NEEDED HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF WILDCARD PLACES IN SWIMMING AND ATHLETICS?

In the Asian Games 2006 & 2010, Youth Olympics 2010 and Arab Games 2011. All Qatari teams had included women athletes. In fact in the Arab Games that were closed yesterday the Qatari delegation consisted of 40% Women. The first time a female swimmer was included on the swimming team for any multi-national event was this Arab Games, check the link i gave you recently. I'm not so sure about athletics though.

Yes i know that, but what i meant is that there would be a higher Qatari participation if the country was to host the Olympics. Did I/WE blame anyone for having a small population ? The Asian Games and Arab Games quotes are good enough examples of showing how Qataris do much better in events that are held at home.

The 2017 Doha IAAF bid included a night marathon on the Doha Corniche right after the opening ceremony at Khalifa Stadium. There is absolutely no saftey concern for such an event. Infact motoGP races are held at night at Losail Race Track in Qatar and they are going fine, same floodlighting techniques could be used for the marathons walks, not to mention that racing cars require way more concentration than marathons/walks. The same concept of the ex-2017 bid could be used for Doha.

Doha however would be the first Arab/Middle Eastern city to host the games, unlike Istanbul or Baku (they are non-middle eastern, non-Arab and European)

I understand, but how exactly does it relate to the Doha bid ?

Why not ? It wouldn't be fair if the reason is just for it being small, besides its about the city not the country.

Trust me, even Qataris KNOW that this happened, HOWEVERA again i will remind you that OFFICIALLY the IOC or any other organization/person has no right to actually claim it due to lack of any form of evidence confirming it. Bin Hammam on the other hand is a completely different story not related to Doha 2020 at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Still doesn't explain why Qatar hasn't sent a women to the OLYMPIC GAMES!

2) Any country that hosts get higher participating numbers but that falls back the next Olympics. Greece 2004 had 441 athletes 2008 less then 150. Qatar has never sent over 30 athletes and has no tradition in a lot of the sports on the program. Interesting to learn about this marathon idea good luck for 2019!

3) Okay but the IOC isn't exactly wanting to go the middle east (like they were with China for example).

4) It relates because the massive corruption and human rights violations are troubling.

5) Makes sense, but the Olympics are a huge event and should be held in huge world class cities.

6) There you go, Bin Hamman = Corruption = Qatar 2022 World Cup. Why again should anyone be awarded for corruption?

dont cry for having a small population....

estonia is a smaller country than qatar and already had 31 medals ( 9 gold)

and slovenia is nearly the same population with qatar and won 15 medals ( 3 gold)

(qatar:1,699,435, estonia : 1,340,194, slovenia : 2,055,660)

wining medals and having a sport legacy in the country doesnt related with its population...u dont care sports and your people too thats the prob. and caring sports means not organizing dem but a philosophy...

the first arab country i really die for an olympics host is egypt or morroco which are have a huge cultural background and more suitable for the games to host.

^^ Qatars total population is 1.7 HOWEVER Qataris actually are only 250-300K. So yes the population factor still counts.

If the women actually qualified to enter the games then it would have happened, however it didn't. This is why it was only possible for the Arab games, Asian Games, YOG etc. Most of the Women athletes consist of team sports such as Basketball,Volleyball,Football&Handball, the rest mainly consist of shooting and a bit in gymnastics. Until this Arab games we didn't have a women on the swimming team, there is no interest from women for Athletics, but there are developing skills at Aspire.

The Arab world would always be a new frontier and an untouched space of the world in terms of the Olympic Games, from what I see Morocco and Egypt are loosing interest in bidding not to mention that Egypt is going through some difficulty post-revolution crisis.

Yes I'm aware of that, this is one of the reason why Qatar wants to host the Olympics, its for it to get as many athletes as possible to take part in the games, Like how Qatar automatically qualified to the 2021 Confederations cup and the 2022 World Cup + Aspire Sports Academy are developing future athletes in all disciplines for Qatar and so far they seem to have a bright future ahead of them.

Corruption is very low in Qatar compared to other countries in the World, in fact problems in general are quite low in this nation, for example Qatari unemployment is at 0.02% !!! Its the largest spender in the GCC on healthcare, world scale universities opened branches in Doha for the nation to establish in the future a Knowledge based economy in 2030.

Yes I didn't disregard the "issues" with workers however the situation is much more bearable than Dubai or the UAE in general. Steps are being taken aswell.

Doha is on its way to becoming a world class city ;) Its new international airport is opening in 2012, several new developments are on their way to being done, world class venues exist in Doha not to mention it hosting many events in the previous and coming years, There is an established city center and a refurbished CBD is on its way and much more. Its not fair to disregard it.

Bin Hammam does not relate to Qatar 2022 or Doha 2020. He was in the running for FIFA president on his own with no one backing him so its not fair to judge a nation for the actions of one person (whether he bribed or not is not even known yet, FIFA didnt disclose any information at all in this regard).

^^ Qatars total population is 1.7 HOWEVER Qataris actually are only 250-300K. So yes the population factor still counts.

_

bahamas : 10 medals ( 3 gold) population: 353.000

india: 20 medals ( 9 gold) population: 1.210.000

iceland : 4 medals ( 2 bronz 2 silver) population: 318.000

its not about population its about will and education of the citizens about sports :/

india 1,210.000.000 by the way sorry to forgot to add some zeros :D

If the women actually qualified to enter the games then it would have happened, however it didn't. This is why it was only possible for the Arab games, Asian Games, YOG etc. Most of the Women athletes consist of team sports such as Basketball,Volleyball,Football&Handball, the rest mainly consist of shooting and a bit in gymnastics. Until this Arab games we didn't have a women on the swimming team, there is no interest from women for Athletics, but there are developing skills at Aspire.

The Arab world would always be a new frontier and an untouched space of the world in terms of the Olympic Games, from what I see Morocco and Egypt are loosing interest in bidding not to mention that Egypt is going through some difficulty post-revolution crisis.

Yes I'm aware of that, this is one of the reason why Qatar wants to host the Olympics, its for it to get as many athletes as possible to take part in the games, Like how Qatar automatically qualified to the 2021 Confederations cup and the 2022 World Cup + Aspire Sports Academy are developing future athletes in all disciplines for Qatar and so far they seem to have a bright future ahead of them.

Corruption is very low in Qatar compared to other countries in the World, in fact problems in general are quite low in this nation, for example Qatari unemployment is at 0.02% !!! Its the largest spender in the GCC on healthcare, world scale universities opened branches in Doha for the nation to establish in the future a Knowledge based economy in 2030.

Yes I didn't disregard the "issues" with workers however the situation is much more bearable than Dubai or the UAE in general. Steps are being taken aswell.

Doha is on its way to becoming a world class city ;) Its new international airport is opening in 2012, several new developments are on their way to being done, world class venues exist in Doha not to mention it hosting many events in the previous and coming years, There is an established city center and a refurbished CBD is on its way and much more. Its not fair to disregard it.

Bin Hammam does not relate to Qatar 2022 or Doha 2020. He was in the running for FIFA president on his own with no one backing him so its not fair to judge a nation for the actions of one person (whether he bribed or not is not even known yet, FIFA didnt disclose any information at all in this regard).

Still does not address why Qatar never sent athletes even if they never qualified (swimming and athletics allow unqualified athletes).

Arab would would be a new frontier but Rio and South Africa (sooner or later) along with Pyeonchang is more then enough. Even if Qatar develops athletes there is no way they will medals simply put besides Brashim (the high jumper) all Qatari athletes have no shot at all. Qatar spends the highest on healthcare? Interesting. Apparently Cuba has the best healthcare system in the world. :blink:

On its way not there yet. All Summer Games have been held in world class cities.

Bin Hamman was the head of AFC obviously he had some involvement with Qatar 2022.

Emre, India is a sporting disaster... :ph34r:

intoronto1125, i just mentioned that they never qualified + until recently we didn't have women on the national swimming team (non-existent in terms of athletics) How can you keep repeating it doesn't explain it doesn't explain in doesn't explain when i clearly stated the reasons with sources to back it up from QOC officials !? Women equality has been in place a long time ago in Qatar, unlike out northern and southern neighbors (KSA-IRAN) Women drive, vote, allowed & encouraged full education, provided with full healthcare, work in all sectors and take up some political places as well including a minister for some time.

South Africa is not running any cities for 2020 so its certainly not their time anytime soon. With training and new talent discoveries taking place every year there are chances we may win more medals in the future. Read my post again, I said the highest spender on healthcare in the GCC ;) On its way NOW however more than ready by 2020 when we will have our new airport established for many years not to mention the new metro system and the GCC railway connection in place and MUCH more.

Yes Bin Hammam had the authority to back all Asian bids for the World Cup not to mention 1 vote from him to Qatar, nothing more. The FIFA presidency issue however is another story.

Why would you like Qatar to only host a FINA championships ?

In 2009 Doha hosted FINA world diving series.

I'm not sure, QOC haven't given any clue on when the logo might be released.

Well cuz im a swimmer :P and i would like to visit Doha it maybe really exotic, but swimming championships are held in an indor pool so heat doesnt matters.... Maybe also the 2019 IAAF WC will be good for Doha.

Ooo :S Tell us when you know something!

Cuba is good at sport talking only in the Panamerican circle, but even Brazil is better now...

Now India :&

Qatar's most import sport achievement is Al-Saad winninf the asian clubs cup and fifa clubs wc 3rd place.

But Cubans are good, cuz they live from sports...

Cuba is good at sport talking only in the Panamerican circle, but even Brazil is better now...

Qatar's most import sport achievement is Al-Saad winninf the asian clubs cup and fifa clubs wc 3rd place.

Some random results.

Al-Sadd FC Champion of AFC Asian Champions League 2011

Al-Sadd FC 3rd place at FIFA Club World Cup 2011

Qatar football Runner up at FIFA U-20 World cup 1981

Qatar football Gold medal at Asian Games 2006

Qatar football Quarter finals at Barcelona Olympics 1992

Qatar Basketball Gold medal at Arab Games 2011

Qatar Basketball Silver medal at Asian Games 2006

Qatar Basketball Bronze medal at FIBA Asia 2003 & 2005

Qatar Handball Silver medal at Asian Games 2006

Al-Sadd Handball Champion at Super Globe 2002

Al-Sadd Handball Runner up at Super Globe 2010

cuba doubles the medal counting of turkey and brazil and nearly 80 more than spain...:/ the country is a athlete producing factory

Really? Well, this seems to differ:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Middle_east.jpg

While I'll give the Arab part, as far as the Middle East part goes, not so much. They are still Muslim nations & have at least a Middle Eastern perception. And out of the 3, Istanbul is the most exotic.

Is it really "just" about the city? China certainly didn't think so. They always pointed out in their case that the "world's most populous nation should finally get to host the Olympics". Heck, Brazil made it about an entire continent, not just a city.

While the Middle East or Qater hasn't hosted an Olympics, I'd still say their case isn't as big as China's & Brazil's was. No nation that small has hosted an Olympics, Winter or Summer, before. That's why I say Istanbul is the more compelling candidate in any of the points listed & would moreso have the potential of persuation, ala Rio.

Really? Well, this seems to differ:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Middle_east.jpg

While I'll give the Arab part, as far as the Middle East part goes, not so much. They are still Muslim nations & have at least a Middle Eastern perception. And out of the 3, Istanbul is the most exotic.

In terms of Sports, Politics (wants to join EU?) or even culture Istanbul (Turkey in general) is definitely European.

Baku, Azerbaijan is a central Asian nation that doesn't relate to the middle east.

Doha is the only true Arab/Middle Eastern city in the running in terms of Sports, politics and culture.

any qataris using these facilites in daily life?

or just build to host foreigner athletes some time of the year?

All of them have training facilities for young Qataris to nurture and grow young talents, I especially know of the Aquatic center because I used to go there when I was younger, there are local tournaments held all year long not to mention GCC and regional events, the same applies for Tennis and Equestrian facilities. They are all also accessible by Aspire Sports Academy.

In terms of Sports, Politics (wants to join EU?) or even culture Istanbul (Turkey in general) is definitely European.

Baku, Azerbaijan is a central Asian nation that doesn't relate to the middle east.

Doha is the only true Arab/Middle Eastern city in the running in terms of Sports, politics and culture.

hmmmm pardon me mister but i have to correct u....

first istanbul is not an european city. and turks culture background too... we have an elegant culture filtered of mixture of our central asian nomadic to anatolian byzantium, seljuk..etc including 10s of cultures we influenced and controlled in our imperial past. secondly if our beloved french and german friends see us as european we entered already in eu years ago, thats the main problem of the negotiations. secondly Istanbul is the best example of mixing cultures for thousands years. u can see an arabic mosque next to a bulgarian church u can see roman columns in the ottoman palaces. altough in terms of policy and organisations turkey is a european club member with ISRAEL also.. suprising ha ? can u call israel a european country with tht???

and thirdly azerbaijan is not an central asian country have an atlas and see that giant lake between azerbaijan and central asia. azerbaijan is a Caucasian country. although much more azeris living in iran than their homelands.

All of them have training facilities for young Qataris to nurture and grow young talents, I especially know of the Aquatic center because I used to go there when I was younger, there are local tournaments held all year long not to mention GCC and regional events, the same applies for Tennis and Equestrian facilities. They are all also accessible by Aspire Sports Academy.

oh good to hear that... really seems nice arenas and it will be a misfortune people not using...

Is it really "just" about the city? China certainly didn't think so. They always pointed out in their case that the "world's most populous nation should finally get to host the Olympics". Heck, Brazil made it about an entire continent, not just a city.

While the Middle East or Qater hasn't hosted an Olympics, I'd still say their case isn't as big as China's & Brazil's was. No nation that small has hosted an Olympics, Winter or Summer, before. That's why I say Istanbul is the more compelling candidate in any of the points listed & would moreso have the potential of persuation, ala Rio.

like we use the only democratic secular country and a muslim nation, with an islamic imperial background for 400 years, a very good model for other countries...;) ah no need to mention that the world was ruled over from here for 1000 years :) catchy isnt it??? :D

^^ So to summon what you just said is that you agree with me that it is European :lol:

Azerbaijan is not central Asian (personal mistake there) but West Asian. However still not Arab or Middle Eastern.

Taken from the recent Arab Games

rtr2viruqatararabgames2.jpg

honey.... ever had problems in your geography lessons??? or they teach u just " all the muslims are arabs" and " the middle east just arabic" ?

just for your info, when the great powers of the world start to use middle east term for the region especially the eastern Mediterranean shores . there was just one country there... ottoman empire... so it doesnt related to arabs only... its the region .. capito?

lol if azerbaijan is west asian so syria must be "muchmorewest" asian????

accept it the whoole region defined as middle east, and u r sharing with this term 100 million turks,and 60million persians and 20 others too:)

Geographic hair-splitting. In terms of global perception, all 3 would still be viewed as "Muslim", no matter if they're in "central Asia, West Asia , central Europe or east, east Europe. Just like an American Games in the East coast, west coast, Midwest, South, New England or Pacific Northwest would still be globally viewed as "American". What would be the deciding factor is which of these 3 candidates could provide the most & compelling factors. And only one of them stand out.

Emre, India is a sporting disaster... :ph34r:

intoronto1125, i just mentioned that they never qualified + until recently we didn't have women on the national swimming team (non-existent in terms of athletics) How can you keep repeating it doesn't explain it doesn't explain in doesn't explain when i clearly stated the reasons with sources to back it up from QOC officials !? Women equality has been in place a long time ago in Qatar, unlike out northern and southern neighbors (KSA-IRAN) Women drive, vote, allowed & encouraged full education, provided with full healthcare, work in all sectors and take up some political places as well including a minister for some time.

South Africa is not running any cities for 2020 so its certainly not their time anytime soon. With training and new talent discoveries taking place every year there are chances we may win more medals in the future. Read my post again, I said the highest spender on healthcare in the GCC ;) On its way NOW however more than ready by 2020 when we will have our new airport established for many years not to mention the new metro system and the GCC railway connection in place and MUCH more.

Yes Bin Hammam had the authority to back all Asian bids for the World Cup not to mention 1 vote from him to Qatar, nothing more. The FIFA presidency issue however is another story.

The difference being Iran has allowed women to compete at an Olympic Games!!

Archived