Doha Olympic plans

Even if the opening ceremony were to take place in al Daayen, a city that no one has heard about outside of Qatar and that, in all good faith, can be seen as a suburb of Doha

You're obviously completely right. The Spanish WOG bid comparison is not really fair on Doha when you look at the comparative distances involved.

But pathetic or not, the Qatari posters who are now reappearing on this forum went to great lengths to show that these places were in fact seperate cities from Doha during their World Cup bid.

Funny how things change. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Your St Denis example is interesting though. Doing some Wikiing, it looks like that stadium for FIFA was officially in St Denis, not Paris.

It seems FIFA are very insistent about their number of stadiums per city rule that it leaves hosts having to skew things somewhat, whereas on the other hand the IOC are more flexible about what they define as a City.

I still think having the World Cup in an area the size of Qatar with their complete lack of footballing pedigree, the heat of their summer and the myriad other problems is a complete joke, and I think there are serious problems with regard to their Olympic bid as well. But perhaps the jumping through hoops as to what is an isn't a city is more to do with differences between FIFA and IOC rules than anything else. It seems Qatar is by no means the first country to have to redefine what's what depending on their audience.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really suggest that the Madrid supporters work on explaining why Madrid is a good choice rather than what the other candidates have against them....

Let me try :)

Istanbul - Can not say a word, their applicant file is not ready to be published....

Baku - An Unknown city for a lot of people, and unheard, maybe if Baku keep bidding, one day it will get the reward

Doha - SOG at Oct 2nd - 18th ?? Even Sydney finished the party at Oct 1st, and I think in October we already had a lot of international sport event....

Tokyo - I think this city is the major candidate, maybe the final round will be Tokyo vs Madrid, although I know IOC says that back to back Asian city is possible, but i don't think IOC itself ready for it, back-to-back European city, yes it's possible, but the time for back to back Asian city is not now, maybe in about 2030 or 2040 we can see back to back Asian city, but not in 2020 :)

Istanbul - Can not say a word, their applicant file is not ready to be published....

It's with the IOC. I don't see why people are making such a big deal over this; the people who matter have all the details of Istanbul's bid.

but i don't think IOC itself ready for it, back-to-back European city, yes it's possible, but the time for back to back Asian city is not now, maybe in about 2030 or 2040 we can see back to back Asian city, but not in 2020

Why not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_2010_Winter_Olympics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_2000_Summer_Olympics

Sorry for my bad english, I means that i can't say anything about Istanbul, i can't make any reason why Madrid's better than Istanbul since they are not releasing the applicant file to public yet :, and for the wikipedia pages, for me it just a prove that IOC isn't ready for Asia back-to-back :), maybe the same story will happen to Tokyo, the final round between Madrid and Tokyo, and Tokyo will lost to Madrid about 3 - 5 votes :)

Sorry for my bad english, I means that i can't say anything about Istanbul, i can't make any reason why Madrid's better than Istanbul since they are not releasing the applicant file to public yet :, and for the wikipedia pages, for me it just a prove that IOC isn't ready for Asia back-to-back :), maybe the same story will happen to Tokyo, the final round between Madrid and Tokyo, and Tokyo will lost to Madrid about 3 - 5 votes :)

Beijing '00 and Pyeongchang '10 didn't necessarily lose because of Nagano '98 and Beijing '08. If Tokyo had won in 2016, it looks like Pyeongchang would've very well won 2018 anyway.

Any time you have 3 countries in the same continent capable of hosting both the SOG and WOG, there is bound to be some consecutive games at some point.

Fair enough on your first point.

Surely margins of loss that small show that it'd take very little for us to see two Asian Games back-to-back? I don't see why this scenario is any less likely to happen in the next vote than in 2030 or 2040 as you claim.

Mmh... I feel that IOC still hold the European pride, that's why for them back-to-back European games is very possible, but Asia isn't ready yet, if they still have European candidate here, then why they should give Asia, a back-to-back games ? I know at the same time, there are several European countries who wants to bid for 2024, (Italy, France, Germany), but what about the others ? will the other European countries support Tokyo, so they could support European in 2024 ? while for the 2024 maybe we could see a candidate city from Africa, and that make European chance in 2024 getting smaller, in 2020 race, where the strongest bid come from Tokyo and Madrid, I think the European choose to be the host sooner than latter

That could've been so when Rome was still in the race. But now that the Italians have pulled out, that only declines Europe's 2020 even further. Especially when the 2020 race is continually becoming more about what is the 'safest bet' for the IOC for the 2020 Games, & that is Tokyo, rather than being about; "oh no, we just gave the WINTER games to Asia, so can't give them the SUMMER games, too". That just seems like simplistic thinking, IMO.

I really suggest that the Madrid supporters work on explaining why Madrid is a good choice rather than what the other candidates have against them....

I don't think that's the point, really. I repeat that I personally like Doha's bid. It's just that it may have caught our attention because a bid from our country had made a serious mistake more or less similar to this, although it's true that distances in each case are not comparable. I believe that criticism focuses much more on what Rob has pointed out:

But pathetic or not, the Qatari posters who are now reappearing on this forum went to great lengths to show that these places were in fact seperate cities from Doha during their World Cup bid.

Funny how things change. :rolleyes:

In fact, this is what the newspaper article posted by ├▒uto talks about.

And that's it, nothing else. This has nothing to do with Madrid ;)

Archived